PDA

View Full Version : One small step

Danny
25-02-2008, 11:21
I know in USA it was on at peak time .

All I remember how tiring it was in UK sitting up into small hours as a geeky little schoolboy and watching Neil Armstrong climbing down the Eagle's ladder.

He finally did the 'small step for man , giant leap for mankind 'bit and my mother chased me off to bed

I still spent another twenty mins leaning out of bedroom window staring up at the moon in awe.

They told us at school that , by year 2000, it would be as easy to get there as hopping on a train to London , and it would have little domes all over it with hotels in them, what an anti-climax at the Millennium!

karenbrown18
25-02-2008, 11:27
Remember watching some of that on the old black & white tele, but like you I was sent off to bed. I can remember looking out of the window too, and convincing mysef that I could actually see someone walking about on the moon........ a childs imagination!!

Danny
10-03-2008, 15:50
They showed this in newspapers and my dad's workboot did an identical one - its still there on the cement path he was laying that summer

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/images/as11_40_5878.jpg

Marcella
27-10-2010, 10:38
I was allowed to stop up and watch the landing with my dad, I was awe struck that Apollo got there all those miles away so safely, and from that I knew then that the moon was not made of cheese as I had been told by my family!.:)
Then it was nail biting when the Apollo was coming back through the earths atmosphere and landing in the sea!.
It really was amazing to watch!.

stockportyears
29-10-2010, 22:11
It was a few months before I was born, so I missed it. Damn! ;)

The event has been immortalised in song though -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEtyms1sGU

This song is about a family watching the moon landings together, with the two kids creeping down from their bedrooms to watch!
I hope everyone makes the effort to listen to it, because I think it's one of the loveliest songs ever made!

(Monchrome, last track on The Sundays 1997 album Static and Silence)

Krazy
07-12-2010, 23:19
I dont think you can post about this event, as it wasnt in the 70s,80s,90. But June 1969. I posted a thread re: JFK Assasination and was told by admin it didnt fit the criteria and the thread was locked. Why isnt this also Admin??????????

stockportyears
07-12-2010, 23:29
I dont think you can post about this event, as it wasnt in the 70s,80s,90. But June 1969. I posted a thread re: JFK Assasination and was told by admin it didnt fit the criteria and the thread was locked. Why isnt this also Admin??????????

Please keep my Sundays song, it was 1997! :cool:

Krazy
07-12-2010, 23:42
Ha ha ha @ Stockportyears.

HG
07-12-2010, 23:50

It's 2 years old, but now you mention it :)