X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One small step

I know in USA it was on at peak time .

All I remember how tiring it was in UK sitting up into small hours as a geeky little schoolboy and watching Neil Armstrong climbing down the Eagle's ladder.

He finally did the 'small step for man , giant leap for mankind 'bit and my mother chased me off to bed

I still spent another twenty mins leaning out of bedroom window staring up at the moon in awe.

They told us at school that , by year 2000, it would be as easy to get there as hopping on a train to London , and it would have little domes all over it with hotels in them, what an anti-climax at the Millennium!

Re: One small step

Remember watching some of that on the old black & white tele, but like you I was sent off to bed. I can remember looking out of the window too, and convincing mysef that I could actually see someone walking about on the moon........ a childs imagination!!
    sigpic

Comment

They showed this in newspapers and my dad's workboot did an identical one - its still there on the cement path he was laying that summer

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...11_40_5878.jpg

Comment

I was allowed to stop up and watch the landing with my dad, I was awe struck that Apollo got there all those miles away so safely, and from that I knew then that the moon was not made of cheese as I had been told by my family!.
        Then it was nail biting when the Apollo was coming back through the earths atmosphere and landing in the sea!.
        It really was amazing to watch!.

Comment

It was a few months before I was born, so I missed it. Damn!

The event has been immortalised in song though -

This song is about a family watching the moon landings together, with the two kids creeping down from their bedrooms to watch!
          I hope everyone makes the effort to listen to it, because I think it's one of the loveliest songs ever made!

(Monchrome, last track on The Sundays 1997 album Static and Silence)

Comment

I dont think you can post about this event, as it wasnt in the 70s,80s,90. But June 1969. I posted a thread re: JFK Assasination and was told by admin it didnt fit the criteria and the thread was locked. Why isnt this also Admin??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
              I dont think you can post about this event, as it wasnt in the 70s,80s,90. But June 1969. I posted a thread re: JFK Assasination and was told by admin it didnt fit the criteria and the thread was locked. Why isnt this also Admin??????????
              Please keep my Sundays song, it was 1997!

Comment

Ha ha ha @ Stockportyears.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
                  It's 2 years old, but now you mention it
                  The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                  X