Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status Quo

It's not a memory but a forthcoming event ,they playing early August about five mins away from my house.

Was all geared up to see em but at the weekend this Scottish bloke in pub mentioned them and said they were 'mince', everyone there grinned and nodded.

Two queries: -

What and why is meaning of 'mince' when used by a Scot?

To paraphrase the Clash-- should I stay ( in my house) or should I go?

Re: Status Quo

Dont shoot the messenger found on line
    "Mince" - in Scotland the word has also come to mean rubbish or nonsense as in "He was talking a load of mince." and someone who is as "thick as mince" is extremely stupid.
    Heather

Comment

To paraphrase Yazoo- Don't go.
      They are Mince

Comment

LMAO

Thing is , if I don't go I'll always wonder if I missed their best ever gig

If I do then prob be elated by the hype and feel let down at the reality

Comment

They are a band that never quite took off in America. I never got
          to see them. Too bad really

Comment

Well, it was announced yesterday in local paper.... they are charging £45 a ticket to see them so no way am I gonna fork out that amount to see that load of has-beens!

Comment

Very Wise

Comment

Price has now gone down to £30 because they not getting the clamouring mobs they anticipated... if I wait a few more weeks they probably pay me to attend!

Comment

I used to live opposite one of their mums (i'm sure it was Francis Rossi's) in Woking. But seeing as we also saw Rick Parfitt a couple of times down the Brooklands Markets it was probably his mum instead.

The local pub was charming, like being in the 70s again. We went there once and one of our mates was driving so we asked for 3 pints and a shandy to which the barman exclaimed "who's the f***ing poof then?". Gene Hunt eat your heart out!

I think Quo could best answer the question of if you should go or not:

Whatever you want
                  Whatever you like
                  Whatever you say
                  You pay your money
                  You take your choice

Last edited by Mulletino; 10-04-2008, 04:07.

Comment

Well I gave in to temptation at weekend and went to see 'em, Great!!!

Am in the 'audience' section ... guy in middle distance in a white T shirt in photo 22

BBC - Cumbria - Entertainment - Status Quo

Comment

I saw Quo in the early '70's. I couldn't walk for two days (from doing the Quo stance ~ head down and legs straight throughout the concert) and couldn't hear for a week. Great show!

I'm sure Francis Rossi used to be known as Mike Rossi but no-one else I know remembers it. Does anyone here know or did I imagine it?!?

Comment

They are playing Brighton as I type.
                        His middle name is Michael so it would not surprise me

Comment

from the cached Wikipedia page.. (now been changed)

"He is the third Anglo-Italian generation on his father's side, while his mother's family were Irish emigrants who arrived in Liverpool; in fact, he spent several summers on holiday at his grandmother's house in Crosby. He is also known as 'Mike Rossi', 'Frame', and, more recently, 'The GOMORR' (Grand Old Man of Rock 'n' Roll). He wrote the first Status Quo hit single, "Pictures of Matchstick Men", as well as many other hit songs like "Paper Plane", "Caroline", and "Down Down", often with the group's roadie and harmonica player Bob Young, and another writing partner Bernie Frost. He attended Sedgehill Secondary Modern School."

Comment

Thank you, Daz. I'll be able to sleep at night now!

Comment

There is some other old rocker with the same name so maybe thats why he started calling himself Francis instead

THE MIKE ROSSI Website

A bit like Bowie with the David Jones name thing when he was setting off

Comment

Working...
                              X