Wimpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wimpy

Before McDonald's and Burger King there was Wimpy. More or less the same thing but with lower hygiene standards, tables swimming with spilt drinks and the last customers leftover food! The staff were usually adults instead of teenagers but were just as interested in the soul destroying job. It was THE place to meet on Saturday afternoons 'dahn tahn' (if you came from Nottingham). It was purely a meeting place and you very rarely ate anything but no-one looked at you strangely if you weren't eating or drinking in there.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Wimpy

"Come on over to my place, hey you we're having a Wimpy

Lots of Adverts on you tube, but the one mentioned above is the one I remember from the 80's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXgX2tHxzg
    Heather

Comment

I went to one in town a couple of months ago and they deep fried everything!!! The burger was dripping with fat and made me feel a bit sick. The last one i remember having before that must have been about 10 years ago and it seemed quite nice, so the standards have obviously slipped a hell of a lot.

Comment

Sadly, Wimpy seems only be frequented these days by the mentally ill, if my local ones are any judge
        Last edited by Heather74; 06-03-2008, 15:27.

Comment

The thing I prefer about Wimpy, is that you actually get your food on a plate with a knife and fork! Although haven't been to one for years
          sigpic

Comment

My local wimpy isn't too bad actually, the same as it always has been. Its actually a bit cleaner than Maccy D's, and they do the best strawberry milshakes...mmmmmmmm!
            sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

Aaahh Wimpy. I had my 8th birthday party at Wimpy Then it got turned into a Burger King .....i havnt seen a Wimpy in years!!! Glad to know theyre still around.
              Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

I can remember that my Mum always referred to them as a "Wimpy Bar"!
                sigpic

Comment

on our school trip to Stratford on Avon in 1981 I remember having a scrummy Knickerbocker Glory in Wimpy

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

a collection of 80's Wimpy badges
                    Heather

Comment

Wow thats just jogged a memory - I had a whole collection of Wimpy badges!
                      Don't know what happened to them tho...:cry:
                      sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

we still have got a wimpy in our town.
                        it usually is a good place to visit when you need some carbo wotsits!!
                        it depends who is on cooking duty that day to what type of cooked food you get. cold or burnt.
                        they were one of the first around this area who put baked potato on their menu. My wife can't tolerate too much fat but enjoys being able to pop in and have a baked potato while i have a spicy chicken burger.

Comment

Used to love going to Wimpy as a kid. I remember the ketchup in a tomato shaped bottle, and I used to love their (round shaped) sausage.

Comment

I remember going to the Wimpy in Wigan in the late 70's,it seemed amazing at the time,I always wanted but never got one of the puddings which looked delicious especially the Brown derby which I think was a ring doughnut with a big blob of ice cream in the centre covered in chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.....mmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                              on our school trip to Stratford on Avon in 1981 I remember having a scrummy Knickerbocker Glory in Wimpy

Knickerbocker Glories in the 70s were fantastic! They were huge and easily the best thing about Wimpy.
                              sigpic
                              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                              X