Betta Bilda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta Bilda

Betta Builder was a cheaper version of Lego with little white bricks and small squares of plastic that you clicked together to make "slate" roofs. Although Lego took over the universe, I personally preferred Betta Builder as the small bricks enabled you to make more detailed models.I remember seeing a model in Woolworths of Big Ben that was about 8 foot tall. Although I never managed anything needing so many bricks I did build a cathedral. Although suitable for children of all ages, Betta Bilda sets were notoriously challenging and instructions recommended that you got used to how the bricks worked together to provide the best 'structural support' before endeavouring to set out to construct a bigger object. Betta Bilda was part of the Airfix range. House and vehicles, like lorries were the most popular sets.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Betta Bilda

mine.....

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Re: Betta Bilda

I've just acquired a good batch of Betta Bilda for nostalgia purposes, ands was searching to see it it had already been mentioned...

My parents picked Betta Bilda rather than Lego, and Airfix racing cars rather than Scalextric. As far as I was concerned they got both wrong!

As far as the Betta Bilda went, the bricks lacked "cling" compared to the Lego, and the roof tiles hurt the fingers to assemble and you were always afraid of breaking them.
      A recent trial has confimed this memory.
      A glimpse at the clunky cranes and lorries made with BB showed why they struggled against Lego. There are incredibly badly conceived and engineered wheels and a motor block in the set I've acquired.

Ah, but it does bring back memories. Just not always good ones!
      Betta Bilda range

The best build was probably castles (no or little roof!) with the special arrow slit bricks and the crenellation tops. A good size for 1/72 Airfix soldiers.
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Working...
      X