PDA

View Full Version : Free Binder with Issue One!

jason h
28-03-2008, 00:46
We all know that the partwork magazines are a bit of a con - "This collection builds into a wonderful library of...." Yada yada.

I have a couple of them now from the 80s that I've since purchased, 'INPUT' and 'The Unexplained'. Both of them are a great read.

Anyone else hang onto theirs and went to the newsagents every Saturday to collect? I could never get into collecting them myself but I really remember the ads on TV.

rossobantam
28-03-2008, 11:29
they always have the 1st issue at "only 1.99"...and in the bottom right corner of the tv screen in small print is the NORMAL selling price...typically 5.99!!

although I do like the look of the one on tv at the moment...makes a model of the solar system :D

Heather74
28-03-2008, 11:42
I started but never finished a collection of wildlife books,think I got to about no.5, the Newsagents stop selling them as I was the only one buying them,just as well at 3.99 a copy it was taking up all my hard earned pocket money leaving me with nothing :(
My brother Dan started the Joy Of Knowledge collection,but that also never got completed, shame really.

chillyrose
28-03-2008, 12:53
I remember I collected "The Secrets of the Gnomes" as a child. It was all folklore stories, and some true facts for kids. You got a free little toy gnome with the first issue.

Does anyone else remember this one?

Wil
28-03-2008, 21:04
Funny, I hadn't even got past the first two words of your post Jason and I knew you were going to say Input and The Unexplained :)

Trouble with a lot of the ones nowadays is that you need all the parts to finish the model and it's easy to work out that you're going to be spending about 400-500 on it in the end (if it ever makes it to the end).

About the only ones I ever consider getting are the Marvel superhero figure ones. I don't collect them all, just the ones I like to join my parade of computer shelf tat.

stevef
28-03-2008, 22:22
I remember a Blues Collection one which came with a CD each issue, that was OK, you didn't have to buy every issue, you could just wait for the particular artists you liked.:) But I also remember seeing one about the titanic or something where you ended up building a model of the ship if you bought about 5000 issues.:rolleyes::D

yelever
29-03-2008, 00:32
My dad did one of these. The carry on collection getting a free dvd with each issue. They stop it after the first 5 or something. My uncle did the inspector morse one as well only to find that the company stopped doing it half way through.

stevef
29-03-2008, 02:03
Saw the carry-on one's being advertised on telly here last night, looked like a lot of dvd's in that collection. I wouldn't ever do the on-going model ones as there is always going to be one issue that you're gonna miss somewhere along the line, or as mentioned, the company pulls the plug on it half way through.:mad:

Mulletino
01-04-2008, 08:30
I bought a couple of the unexplained ones, the first (I think) came with a floppy plastic record of some German scientist recording voices "from graves". I remember we played the record at a sleepover and none of us would sleep in the room after. :(

I actually managed to get the almost complete collection years later from a (then) Girlfriend's brother. I think they're still in my folk's loft, but maybe not.

I did find a copy of the unexplained in a charity shop here last year and bought it for old time's sake. :)

I think there were plenty of these things where I bought issue one and that was it! :D

systemaddict
02-04-2008, 00:12
I still have the complete

The Unexplained
Scandal
Quest
The Great Artists

and in the past had

Images of War
Discovery
Tree of Knowledge

pedro
03-04-2008, 08:04
Must admit I fancied the DC comic one advertised now but haven't found a shop stocking it so far. They do look a bit of a swiz, as others have stated it'll cost you about 300/400 to collect and some "last" two years almost. I did collect a music one in the 70's (A-Z of Pop or something like that) Think I mananged most of the issues and still had it until my last house move. No takers when advertised so binned.

davidthomas27
03-04-2008, 10:36
I had 'The Secret Book of the Gnomes' and 'Dinosaurs'. And my sister collected 'Discovery' and 'Quest'.

barry21
13-04-2008, 17:26
I remember the unexplained series as I think I even got quite a few issues.
The murder casebook was another one I seemed to collect but as I never subscribed to these after maybe the 4th issue the newsagent did not stock them any more.I did find some more issues at boot sales etc.
I did subscribe to the Clint Eastwood collection - I thought as he is such an icon of mine I would collect his films as I have a few of them on VHS but not on DVD.
I know it works out expensive to subscribe to a magazine like this but at least I have a library of his films now on DVD which I would not have otherwise, and if I am right the free binder came with issie 2.

Hillman
12-12-2008, 16:42
WARPLANE!!!

Nice pullout centre section every 2 weeks that used as wall paper for a few years much to my parents dispare!

Palazzo
12-12-2008, 20:09
I once worked in a branch of WHSmiths and these partworks were a total nightmare to deal with. The problem was that we would stop stocking them after the first seven issues, anybody who wanted to continue collecting them had to place an order with us. My face would drop at the arrival of any new partwork, the teapot collection, Gods of Egypt, Great British Steam Trains, Build the Bismarck and The Mind Body and Spirit collection were completely ridiculous in my opinion. For instance, Gods of Egypt came with a wafer-thin magazine and an extremely tacky, cheaply made look-at-it-and-it-breaks figurine of an Egyptian God at the price of around 7.99 every two weeks.

As a kid though there were a few partworks I did start such as Animal Ark, Find Out More, How My Body Works, Dinosaurs and the stone/rock collection. I never did finish a single one of them, although I did manage to collect enough issues of Dinosaurs to finish the T-Rex model!

avoidz
13-12-2008, 14:56
WARPLANE!!!

Nice pullout centre section every 2 weeks that used as wall paper for a few years much to my parents dispare!

My brother used to get one called War Machine in the 1980s. I was more interested in my step dad's Home Computer Course magazine collection :D

old git
10-03-2009, 23:21
We all know that the partwork magazines are a bit of a con - "This collection builds into a wonderful library of...." Yada yada.

I have a couple of them now from the 80s that I've since purchased, 'INPUT' and 'The Unexplained'. Both of them are a great read.

Anyone else hang onto theirs and went to the newsagents every Saturday to collect? I could never get into collecting them myself but I really remember the ads on TV.

I remember INPUT. spent many an hour trying to programme my dragon 32.Never worked though lol.Cant remember when it first come out,but i recal it being re-released,so i ended up with two of the first copy :)

Marine Boy
11-03-2009, 09:08
I'm interested in this one called 'The Unexplained'. I used to collect a magazine series in the 80s about unexplained phenomena, but it was called something different. I think it was 'X Factor'; if not, it was certainly 'X' something. Quite a way into the collection, I got board with it but carried on buying simply for completion's sake. Sold the collection for a few pounds many years later.

Somebody gave my the first issue of the Mind Body Spirit one. It came with a rather excellent decorated storage box, which I still have. Didn't collect the series though.

Gothic
11-03-2009, 13:54
Collected the 'Joy of Knowledge' and 'World War II' magazines, had to order them from the newsagent to make sure I got them all and it still didn't work, missed the last 10 or so issues of World War II magazine!:mad:

Currently subscribe to 'Real Life Bugs' and 'Combat Tank Collection' for the things that come with them, not the actual magazines.

My brothers and I worked out the price of the Fokker Triplane that you could build in weekly instalments at over 500, the actual model kit it was copied from, although rare, could be bought for less than this in one go!!

ridski
11-03-2009, 17:40
I remember the War Machines one. I think collected some of those, but there was another that I did collect called War In Peace, I think, all about little brush wars and mercenaries and such. Then Combat and Survival came out and I collected that for a long time. Hey, I was an army cadet. I loved that stuff back in the day.

There is one I collected all the way to the end, though, which was The Oxford Illustrated Dictionary. It started in 1977, I think, and finished in about 1981, and came in 2 volumes. My Mum still has them, actually. So yes, I did actually read the dictionary when I was a kid. Wow. What a saddo I was.

Derekflint
25-04-2009, 02:29
Warplane was a good magazine, with a lot of detail.

As for the more recent DVD ones, I've noticed at least two that got restarted within six months, which is disgusting.

branny
25-04-2009, 13:27
I collected INPUT when that was out but never really read it. I'm currently collecting the Marvel figurines collection and the James Bond cars. Never again. I telephoned both companies to ask how many issues would be published before I subscribed. I was told around 80 for the Marvel and 40 for the Bond. We are now approaching 100 with Marvel and a lot of the characters coming out now i've never heard of. The latest is Impossibleman. The Bond cars are now approaching 60 issues which are now blink and you'll miss it as Bond walks past x car in the street.

Palazzo
25-04-2009, 19:03
I collected INPUT when that was out but never really read it. I'm currently collecting the Marvel figurines collection and the James Bond cars. Never again. I telephoned both companies to ask how many issues would be published before I subscribed. I was told around 80 for the Marvel and 40 for the Bond. We are now approaching 100 with Marvel and a lot of the characters coming out now i've never heard of. The latest is Impossibleman. The Bond cars are now approaching 60 issues which are now blink and you'll miss it as Bond walks past x car in the street.

Going back to when I worked at WHSmiths, I had a customer who put down an order to recieve a copy of The Lord of The Rings model collection every two weeks. The format was pretty simple, a thin magazine and a tacky-looking model of a character from the LOTR movies. This magazine went on and on to the point where its run was constantly being extended and it seemed that they were including characters from LOTR who were most likely just background characters if that. I got the impression that they had people watching the LOTR trilogy and seeing who they could spot in the background so they could squeeze out a model and magazine for the next issue. I'm pretty sure this particular collection was still going on by the time I left to go and work somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised if its still going today!

Derekflint
25-04-2009, 21:17
The James Bond one in particular sounds poor - least they could do is switch to other vehicles, unless they have - the jetski from Spy Who Loved Me, the little golf carts from Moonraker. Half a Renault...

branny
26-04-2009, 10:22
The James Bond one in particular sounds poor - least they could do is switch to other vehicles, unless they have - the jetski from Spy Who Loved Me, the little golf carts from Moonraker. Half a Renault...

The half a renault was one of the extras that you get for subscribing along with the tank from Goldeneye and Little Nelly.The two latest are the Toyota crown (gets picked up by a helicopter and dropped in a river) and the Ford Fairlane from Thunderball. Now i've seen all the bond movies many times and clearly recall the Toyota but the Ford Fairlane doesn't instantly spring to mind. I'll have to watch Thunderball again.

Derekflint
26-04-2009, 14:07
I can honestly say that I think the Spy Who Loved Me Lotus, as in the actual car, would be better value for money, even if it hits the expected 100-120,000.

And with no due respect to the publisher, an issue on Little Nelly or how they did the half Renault would be more interesting than either the Crown or Fairlane.

Trickyvee
28-07-2010, 18:02
I'd love to know if there are any classical pianists out there who wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for the 'Play it Today' 1354 part series of books and tapes (I made it to issue 2) :)

FLYING SAUCER
28-07-2010, 18:13
In the late 80s I had 2 Partworks on the go!

MEDIQUEST - I was always interested in the human body and ailments. And must admit I have found it useful, but it cost 100 and you can find all the info you need on the PC now, modern and revised info too!

TAKE OFF - Full of great pictures of all the planes you could wish for! I still use this!

Finished both publications to the very end, but the cost! oh dear.................

Austin Maxi
28-07-2010, 19:37
I never see the Bond car collection ones any more. I bought a couple of the early ones (with the Aston Martin DB5 and the battered Citroen 2CV). I'd quite like to see the latest as there sounds like some unususl models with those.

I've got a few of the DVDs from the 'Only Fools And Horses' collection - you tend to see the DVDs on sale on the cheap at boot fairs and markets a lot. I already had a good few of the specials and series on DVD anyway, so just filling in the gaps in my OFAH collection.

icynorth
28-07-2010, 21:51
I collected the Encyclopedia of Birds in the late 1970s, and saw it through to the end (around 2 years worth). It took much of my paper-round money, but it was worth it - the content was very high quality. The last two volumes had weird and wonderful birds from around the world (muumuus, drongos, etc) - the ones you can't find in the usual RSPB books. I still refer to it today.

(I had to buy the binders, though).

Richard1978
28-07-2010, 22:46
My brother managed to collect all of Italia 90, which had loads of sections (I think each installment came with a few pages for each) plus stickers of all the players. I think he had to send off to get the last few stickers.

He also collected a True Crime series for years, though the subscriptions dept messed up when he moved, & ended up missing a few issues, & had to back order them.

Jacqueline
11-08-2010, 11:34
I collected and have the complete History of Rock in 10 extremely impractical white binders. It makes fascinating reading and I've used it as a reference tool on many occasions. The main problem is that the collection ended in 1985 (I think) It consisted of 121 parts so was quite an investment. I could do with someone producing a follow up part work lol

n3llyo
12-08-2010, 10:30
i had the history of rock collection ,when i left home my mother seemed to have cleared my room out the day i left as when i went back the following week to get the rest of my stuff them along with my actionman collection and a few other bits had been givern to charity but ive still got the lp collection that accompanied the book set and the bob marley poster that came with an issue of it

Jacqueline
12-08-2010, 14:09
LP collection? There were no records in the History of Rock part work that I collected. :confused:

n3llyo
12-08-2010, 19:27
there were 32 double albums that came with the set (i had them on mail order so maybe the lps were not in the shop brought version) original recordings on all of them white sleeves with blue and gold writing on them in a similar style to the writing that was on the binder thats if we are talking about the same collection "the history of rock" that was published by orbis in the early/mid 1980`s

just found one of the albums advertised for sale on the internet http://991.com/buy/productinformation.aspx?StockNumber=183093

Jacqueline
12-08-2010, 23:25
I think you must be right n3llyo. I was def collecting at the same time but buying them from the newsagent where I placed a regular order.

The magazines sell for around 3.00 each now. They were 75p each at the time.

sixtyten
17-08-2010, 13:35
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/tracyc_2007/sfx05_card_rear.jpg

Jacqueline
17-08-2010, 13:49
It would be interesting to compare that with the History of Rock magazine that I collected.

sixtyten
17-08-2010, 14:00
So there were two different sets issued?

The ad above is from 1981

The set below is the one I remember, the first issue has Jagger on the front
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/tracyc_2007/Screenshot2010-08-17at135724.jpg

Jacqueline
17-08-2010, 14:51
I don't know if there was more than one. I only know that the set I collected, which I ordered through the newsagent and collected each week was 75p and definitely didn't have free lps with it.

I ordered the binders (after the first free one presumably) and removed the cover of each magazine (as instructed) to assemble an encyclopaedia type set of books. The final volume is the index for the rest of the collection.

I'm looking at the first volume now which begins with a pic of Jimi Hendrix and a general introduction. The subsequent pages of the first magazine deal with 1967 - Beatles, Who, psychadelia, Motown and the Black Sound in US etc. Second magazine is about Bill Haley and 1950s, Louis Jordan, Hank Williams, country boogie.

I could continue but obviously not much point. I can only think that the collection with LPs free was a mail order version. I collected mine around 1980/81 as far as I can remember.

Paulos
17-08-2010, 16:31

Bond car collection
https://www.gefabbri-inet.co.uk/ACTION?TYPE=NEWCMD&CONF=022
Back issues (93 issues) only 7.99 each plus 0.50 p&p including a wonderful Ford KA!

shilton dipper
20-01-2012, 23:16
I can remember collecting the 'New You Beauty programme' and 'Greenleaf'...........the latter I still have today...........it cost me such a lot of money to fill the two binders I owe it to myself to keep it http://www.justchat.co.uk/boards/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif (javascript:emoticon(':lol:'))

ann22
22-01-2012, 00:10
I collected the first series of the TrueCrime ones. They were early 90's I think. They were great, I only bought an odd episode of season 2 of murderers I was particularly interested in. My son collected the SpineChiller series in 1998. They were very good too.

Avahi1057
30-01-2012, 22:06
I had the following ....

Story Teller 1+2 (Marshall Cavendish, 1982-84?) There was 52 parts in this set. I have a real affection for this series to this very day. I'd say I probably had in the region of 20 issues at the time. You had to purchase the binders separately and as such I never got them. This turned out to be unfortunate as it meant the magazines remained loose and were one day taken as being nothing more valuable than any other magazine round the house and were thrown out. By comparison I still have most of the tapes. Thankfully in recent years I've been able to get my hand on a digital version and now have Story Teller on my computer forever! :)

Quest (Marshall Cavendish, 1988-90?) There was 60 parts in this. I managed to collect the full set and still have them. I was excited by this series at the start but my interest seemed to dwindle quickly as the general quality of the issues (both the material and projects) definitely declined as the run went on further.

World Cup 90 (Orbis, 1989-90?) I'd say there was probably about 20 parts for this one. I managed to collect them all and still have it. It also doubled as a sticker album but I didn't manage to complete the stickers.

Richard1978
30-01-2012, 22:25
I remember a girl at school collected one on astrology, with tips on how to read tea leaves etc.

It would have been around 1990.

sf1378
30-01-2012, 23:32
Funny thing is a lot of these things dissappear after a while so you cannot buy them in shops as regularly.

Richard1978
31-01-2012, 14:06
I remember Spitting Image spoofing them, saying that the writing team often get thrown out of their office around the time Issue 3 his the presses.

staffslad
18-06-2016, 08:27
From 1983 to 1985 I collected the 'War in Peace' partwork. I remember seeing the TV advert for it. I still have all 120 issues and a binder for the first 12, which I think was free with issue 1 but not completely sure about that. There was a book remainder shop about 10 miles from us that used to sell issues of various partworks that the publisher couldn't shift, and I bought very cheaply a number of issues of various 80s partworks, but it was very haphazard what was in the shop.

A previous poster mentioned 'The Unexplained' partwork. Several years after it ended, paperback collections from the series were issued by Orbis, of which I have several.

Richard1978
18-06-2016, 11:20
Some went subscription only if they had trouble selling them through newsagents, but could get enough people to sign up to have them delivered directly.

darren
18-06-2016, 13:23
i collected quite a few things cant remember what they where now.
Where i got a free binder but after a while you could not get the issues in shops so that was a bit disappointing and i had no other way of getting them.

staffslad
19-06-2016, 09:16
I think that many, perhaps most, partworks went the subscription route after a few issues of general availability in newsagents. That was certainly the case with 'War in Peace'. After a few issues I had to order it from a local newsagent and collect it each week. Also, in the final issue there was a card announcing that anyone interested in a follow-up covering wars over the next few years should send it back to the publisher. I did so but never heard anything about a follow-up so I suppose that there wasn't enough interest to justify it.

I have also recalled that W.H. Smith sometimes sold partwork issues at very cheap prices. I bought some issues of 'War Machine' from them--obviously they hadn't sold and W.H. Smith were trying to shift them.

Richard1978
19-06-2016, 10:17
I remember picking up a single part of a series on sports cars very cheaply in the sales at W.H. Smiths in the sales. It was about 20p, down from over a pound.

marc
19-06-2016, 11:34
Wasn't there a warning about these magazines some years ago? If memory serves correctly, it was about building the Titanic. If you collected all the issues with each part provided, it would be in the region of 500. You could actually buy a ready made and well detailed model for around 300. Has explained in earlier posts, there is also the problem of a missed issue or the series not being completed.

staffslad
19-06-2016, 13:51
Marc, I can't remember specifically the Titanic example, but I recall seeing over the years various partworks where a single part of a model was included with each issue. I think there was one where you collected parts to build a racing car. Yes, a missed issue could be a severe problem when collecting partworks and it is interesting to speculate how many partworks fail to reach the full set due to poor sales or other reasons.

I don't know when partworks first began to be published but as a child in the late 60s/early 70s I had a set of children's encyclopedias called something like 'Children's Books of Knowledge' that were obviously originally published as partworks, probably in the late 50s/early 60s. They were collected into 4 hardback books on British history, science, wildlife and one being a mixture of bits and pieces. Also, fiction partworks were published at least as far back as the 1840s, when 'Varney the Vampire' and 'Sweeney Todd' were published as a chapter per week, and in these cases they managed to extend them out for years, 'Varney' managed in excess of 800 pages before its conclusion.

Arran
19-06-2016, 15:37
Quest (Marshall Cavendish, 1988-90?) There was 60 parts in this. I managed to collect the full set and still have them. I was excited by this series at the start but my interest seemed to dwindle quickly as the general quality of the issues (both the material and projects) definitely declined as the run went on further.

I have a full set of Quest but it was bought secondhand.

I don't know when partworks first began to be published

Novels written by Charles Dickens were originally sold in parts back in the mid 19th century.

staffslad
26-06-2016, 08:20
About a decade ago there was a partwork where every issue they gave you a watch--could have been pocket watches but I can't remember, but issue 1 was definitely a pocket watch. I bought issue 1 out of curiosity but I did wonder just how successful this partwork would be.

George 1978
29-10-2017, 04:43
I used to have Marshall Cavendish's Quest from 1989 to 1991 - I believe it was issued again a couple of years after that.

A lot of these are advertised between Christmas and New Year, with the "free binder" thing offered. I can remember a couple of times going to WH Smith and trying to collect a series of it, but by the fourth or fifth issue, they had stopped selling it, ruining my chances of building a collection. Annoying.