Roller Skating Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Skating Songs

In the early to mid 80s we did a lot of roller skating (the old skool boots with 4 wheels, before anyone had thought up inline skates) at indoor roller rinks (most of which are closed now…:cry.

There are few songs that as soon as I hear them, I am back on the rink, skating around, lost in another world. For me, these powerful memory songs are: Mi-Sex - Computer Games, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – I Love Rock n’ Roll, Depeche Mode – I Just Can’t Get Enough, Don Henley – All She Wants to do is Dance and Hall & Oates – You Make My Dreams.

What songs did you used to skate to?

Re: Roller Skating Songs

Cliff Richard does some pretty mean rollerskating in a shiney new Milton Keynes shopping centre in his video for "Wired for sound"

Comment

There are three that stick out for me and I can feel the wind in my hair everytime I hear them

KonKan - I beg your pardon
      Cocoon - Timerider
      Jean Michel Jarre - Rendez Vous 4

The last 2 were particularly good as they asked the kiddlies to leave the rink and turned the lights down even further for the "speed skaters" - omg I feel 13 again

Comment

i remember skating to Come on Eileen- Dexys midnight runners, and Eye of the tiger

Comment

Journey / Any Way You Want It (That's The Way You Need It)

and....

Gary Numan / CARS

SunState Skating Rink in Orlando, FL "back in the day". All night skates, those big, clunky quad skates, BLISTERS... yeah - good times.

Would be there again in an instant if I could!

Comment

I used to go skating every Saturday from 1980 to about 83. Sometimes on Friday nights as well. Songs I can remember, and that always make me think of skating are:

Que Sera, Mi Vida (If you should go) - Gibson Brothers (played EVERY time!!! I still love it.)
            Fly Robin Fly - Silver Convention
            I see Red - Split Enz (always used for speed skates)
            Stars on 45 - Stars on 45
            Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet - Gonzalez
            Heart Of Glass - Blondie
            Good Times - Chic
            Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand
            Rock with you - Michael Jackson
            I love you - The Climax Blues Band (played a lot for couple skates)
            I was made for loving you - KISS
            Rapture - Blondie
            Hip, Shake, Jerk - The Quick
            Born to be Alive - Patrick Hernandez
            Electronix (Roller Dancin') - Bob Esty

Comment

Originally posted by KromeDome View Post
              Journey / Any Way You Want It (That's The Way You Need It)

and....

Gary Numan / CARS

SunState Skating Rink in Orlando, FL "back in the day". All night skates, those big, clunky quad skates, BLISTERS... yeah - good times.

Would be there again in an instant if I could!
              Man, I forgot about 'all-night skates'! I was never allowed to stay all night Always got picked up. I still prefer 4 wheeler skates. I bought a pair of Nike ones last year

Comment

I was a bit young for roller discos in the 1980s, but certainly remember hearing of them.

Comtempary references include Adrian Mole going to one in his PE kit because it was the nearest thing he had to the proper outfit, & Mike turning Rick's bedroom into a roller disco in The Young Ones.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

"Do ants go to roller-discos?" he he. I think one of the ants had a sparkly silver boob tube on. I used to love the Young Ones.

Comment

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE quad skating to come back into popularity. If there was a roller rink near me, I would be there every chance I got.

OK, well the Roller Boogie & Xanadu soundtrack automatically get me thinking of roller skating. I also remember skating to It's Alright (East 17) in the 90's (and having a crush on the DJ @ the rink).

Ahh the days!

Comment

I was an avid roller skater, but much later. I was more late 80's early 90's. Our skating songs were:

The Prodigy - Everybody in the Place (fairground version)
                      SL2 - On a Ragga Tip
                      Robin S - Show Me Love and Luv 4 Luv

My local jaunt was Gorton roller skating rink in Manchester. The row was knocked down over 10 years ago and houses were built. Some fond memories there.
                      If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

Comment

Working...
                      X