Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robots in a Gondola (70's/80's) Anybody Remember the them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robots in a Gondola (70's/80's) Anybody Remember the them?

In the late 70's early 80's I recall a band of orchestral musicians, who used to perform as blank faced robots, dressed in 18th century clothing and sitting in a gondola boat.

The video to their orchestral disco tune, was a cartoon, showing a space ship rescuing venice from it's watery grave.

Anybody remember the name of the band/song?

This has been bugging me for a while now!

Thanks
    Richard

Venice in Peril

It sounds like "La Serenissima (Venice in Peril)" by Rondo Veneziano. I have the album "La Serenissima" somewhere - nice piece of music! Great sleeve too.
    I remember seeing the video on "The Chart Show" a few years ago, and was most intrigued by it.
    I have heard it being used on TV shows as a theme tune ("Jimmy's"?) and as background music for various shows.
    Rondo's version reached number 58 on the UK singles chart in 1983, whilst a version by dance duo DNA reached #34 in 1990.

You should be able to find a copy easy enough I think. My copy is on vinyl, and if I saw the CD version I would probably get a copy - there must be some Rondo albums around.
    Last edited by Popsicle; 22-07-2005, 19:48. Reason: Chart info added
    Old enough to know better...

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks!! That's Awesome! I knew somebody would remember tham!

After doing a little bit of research, i've found out that not only are they still recording albums, but still do live tours to this day!

The "Venice in Peril" CD is no longer out available, but a lot of their CD's are readily available, especially the newer ones.

I remember them preforming "Venice in Peril" live on Blue Peter once, dressed in the full robot gear and in the Gondola, like in the Cartoon video.

I was under the impression they always dressed like this, but apparently the robot look was just for the one Album, but they still wear the period costumes.

Thaks again for the help......I can rest again!!! I've got their Best of CD on order already!

Comment

Glad you found it.

It's a tune that still sounds good today, it's sort of haunting really.

Must dig out that old album.....

Comment

Venice in Peril

Just dug out my old "Venice in Peril" album today, and gave it a spin. I had forgotton how good the album is!
          The sleeve notes say the following:

"Imagine, a distant future where man might have neglected one of the most beautiful cities in the world-Venice.
          Italian classical music-but with a difference, has remained as an only reminder of the magic and romance of its ancient splendours.
          What could happen to Venice is the story of Rondo Veneziano...."

Oh, it was "Hospital Watch" which used the tune as its theme music, not "Jimmy's" as I orginally thought. Well, I knew doctors and nurses were involved somewhere.....

Comment

Re: Robots in a Gondola (70's/80's) Anybody Remember the them?

Thank God! Someone else knows what I have been on to my friends about for years, I was beginning to think I had dreamt it as a child! "Robots playing baroque music on Pebble mill at one"...you can see why I was beginning to doubt my childhood on this one. At the time I thought "These robots are very swanky! nice tune"

Comment

Guys i know this is an old thread but just want to say thanks for helping me figure out what this haunting music was that I had absorbed when I was a kid. Like everyone else, I watched the Video and heard the classical music and it stuck. Like ik_ie, I thought I'd dreamt the whole thing up so it was good to finally stick a name to the piece. I think I remember it being used as a filler on either ITV(utv over here in Norn Iron) or Channel4 between shows but probably completely wrong. Copy of what I remember up on YouTube, sorry if break rules posting links but couldn't help myself:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maUksBtkFZw

Comment

I remember I asked about this a while back on here and someone instantly posted what it was called....so your not alone there in remembering this and wondering what the hell it was. I vaguely remember my Mum telling me they appeared on Pebble Mill at One too to play it...

Mr Paris, you are correct it was used as a 'filler' on ITV, I remember it on the then Southern franchise TVS when I was little....If you read the youtube comments you'll see lots of people remember it from over 30 odd years ago too...the full disco extended mix of it is brilliant. The vid was animated by Italian animator Guido Manuli, he did lots of other animations for pop/music videos back then and there was even a video of all of them and Rondo's La Serenissima Venice In Peril...its a shame they don't wear the robotic look anymore when they perform live but they certainly used to in their live performances back then in the early 1980s...its one of my favourite tunes and in another thread about 'what music/song takes you back to childhood' on here I posted this very track as it reminds me of the hot balmy summer I recall hearing it in...and happier, simpler times....

Comment

Working...
                X