Oor Wullie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oor Wullie

Oor Wullie is a comic strip, set in Scotland, in the D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd newspaper The Sunday Post. It features a boy named William ('Wullie' - Oor Wullie is Our Willie in Scots) whose trademarks are spiky hair, dungarees and sitting on an upturned bucket - indeed, the strip has started and ended with a single frame featuring Wullie on his bucket since early 1937. The earliest strips always ended with Wullie complaining 'I nivver get ony fun roond here!' and featured very little dialogue, with the artistic style settling down by 1940 and changing little since. A frequent tag-line reads "Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!". I personally still get the annual every year for Christmas (either Broons or Oor Wullie) and still love every page!I also get the Oor Wullie annual every year, even when I lived in Australia for 15 years and New zealand for 8 years. My mum would post them to me no matter where I was living.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Oor Wullie

Hi All,

here is a link to a wee song I wrote a number of years ago for Oor Wullie. Its called 'Scotland's Oldest Wee Boy'...

Hope you get a smile!

KOK

YouTube - Oor Wullie - "Scotland's Oldest Wee Boy"

Comment

My familly is from Scotland originally so we would holiday up there and my relatives gave me Oor Willie and Broons anuals and my gran would cut out the strips from the papers and send them to me, so I remember them fondly. I think I've got an aniversary collection somewhere

Comment

Being a Glasweigan (in exile in London) I grew up with Oor Wullie and The Broons!! I still have a pile of the annuals back at my Mum's place in Glasgow. I used to love the wee rhyme at the top of each strip which summarised the cartoon's theme. Some of the strips would actually get me laughing out loud, but it was the broad Scots dialect (some of it fictitious) which really tickled my funny bone, help ma boab !

Comment

I remember The Beano used to have ads for the Oor Wullie & The Broons annuals, & not really knowing what they were. Being well away from the circulation of The Sunday Post the only other place I spotted them was the annuals section of WH Smiths.

It was almost same situation with the Comic Library books, which sometimes were about characters who stopped being in The Beano & Dandy years before.

The 50th Anniversary books helped fill in the gaps.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

[ATTACH]1607[/ATTACH]

Oor Wullie is a great wee character from a wonderful city and looks fantastically fit for someone aged 73 !

( his first strip started in 1936 would you believe )

As you can see from the picture of him I've posted the wee fella enjoys a good bucket .... just like most of his fellow countrymen.

Comment

Jings!
              Crivvins!
              Help m'boab!

Comment

Anyone remember when "Naked Video" did a send-up of The Broons? Even though we have no connection with Scotland we used to have a long-standing special order at the newsagents for The Sunday Post; lovely old-fashioned paper and a real part of our Sundays, along with roast dinners, afternoon films, Sunday night at the London Palladium and depression at the thought of school next morning. But then they ruined it by becoming almost a parody of themselves, with silly stuff like "Nae Sassenachs in oor braw competition, noo!" Oh yes, and those blatant plugs for certain businesses, when someone would supposedly write to the "Queries Man" asking if there were any chip shops in Lanark or something.
                Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

I preferred the Broons myself.Both are still going strong.Worth pointing out,if you go back through the books you find storylines rehashed lol.Ma Broon also has a cookbook out.

tulip

Comment

I remember the Naked Video sketch of the Broons - been trying to remember who played who since you mentioned it!. A good show. Remember the guy trying to look cool after he's just missed the bus?

But I've got to ask since I've always wondered, what on earth does "help ma boab" mean??

Does anyone know?

Comment

Its like "my goodness" kinda thing.You could really replace it with a few phrases.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
                        Jings!
                        Crivvins!
                        Help m'boab!
                        Couldn't have put it better myself. I used to get a Broons and Oor Wullie annual every Christmas. I liked them both but I liked Oor Wullie better with his pals Wee Eck, Fat Boab and Soapy Soutar. We got the Sunday Post for a good while too so I got a weekly fix. I remember the paper was written in a really quaint, old fashioned sort of way. Nothing like any other papers that you get. I used to get confused between the twins in the Broons and Oor Wullie at first. They look the same!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Ma Broon was always 'black affronted' lol
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I preferred the Broons,but having a brother,we had both books in the house.I was reading Ma Broons cookbook the other week in the library,was the kids book,but was really funny!

tulip

Comment

Speaking of Oor Wullie annuals, apparently they can be worth a fortune! On The Hour yesterday they had a collection on, and the very first four are meant to be worth £3,000!!!!! Even more recent ones can still be worth a couple hundred. Just had a wee rummage and I found the video from the show here: http://programmes.stv.tv/the-hour/ne...ally-pays-off/

Comment

Working...
                              X