Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Oz

anybody else see this?

I watched it when I was about 6 and it scared the **** out of me.
    I bought it on dvd and watched it a few months ago, utter rubbish.

A shame since my memory held such a strong imprint of how terrifying this film was!

I guess that will teach me not to buy the films I remember being brilliant/scary/funny when I was a kid.

Re: Return to Oz

I saw it and hated it, a big of a let down IMO Much the same as the awful Dirty Dancing follow up...rubbish.
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      I saw it and hated it, a big of a let down IMO Much the same as the awful Dirty Dancing follow up...rubbish.

yes I agree it's not very good in the cold light of day

just that my memory held in such I regard,

I guess it's easy to scare a 6 year old!

Comment

Sure is. The Labyrinth always had that effect on me, and I think I was more like 12 when that came out. David Bowie really gave me the willys
        Heather

Comment

Yeah, I always loved the labyrinth but I let a work colleague borrow it once and she told me about her friend coming round and noticed it on the coffee table and refused to be in the same room as the box, it had scared her that much as a child!

Comment

Return to Oz had more in common with Labyrinth and Dark Crystal than the original friends of dorothy. Took my kids at the time and they enjoyed it. Haven't seen it in years so can't comment if it has stood the test of time.
            The eyes have it!
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, got it on dvd. My favourite characters Jack Pumpkin Head. Labirynths a cool film too!

Comment

I've always found myself being un-nerved by Friends of Dorothy

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                  David Bowie really gave me the willys
                  My first impression when watching this as an adult was that you could see *his* willy. Amazingly, I'd never noticed that before.

I'd kind of like to see Return to Oz all the way through sometime, though, just because of having seen bits of it at someone else's house and being curious.
                  I'm your duck

Comment

I really like Return To OZ.
                    Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

the wheelies were terrifying!

Comment

Oh were they Wheeley?
                        Last edited by sixtyten; 11-11-2008, 18:58.
                        Heather

Comment

I saw Return the Oz a good few years back and I really liked the fact that it had a really dark, somewhat creepy tone to it. I have always thought that The Wizard of Oz would make a really good horror film, a few years ago a set of figures were released of the Oz characters and each one was designed to be a little twisted and spooky. For instance, the tin man was some sort of horrible-looking robot with a huge axe and the scarecrow had this really evil looking face, with crows pecking away at his body. It wasn't to everybody's taste of course but I thought it was a unique, daring take on the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                            a few years ago a set of figures were released of the Oz characters and each one was designed to be a little twisted and spooky. For instance, the tin man was some sort of horrible-looking robot with a huge axe and the scarecrow had this really evil looking face, with crows pecking away at his body. It wasn't to everybody's taste of course but I thought it was a unique, daring take on the characters.
                            I saw these as well, very strange but interesting? - McFarlane's Monster Series 2 : The Twisted land of Oz

McFarlane's Monsters Series 2: The Twisted Land of Oz

Comment

Those are the ones Gothic, nice one!

Just had a look at them again and I have to say that they are some of the most well-made, detailed figures I have ever seen, The Tinman is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X