1970s car movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s car movie

Ok, this is a long shot, its likely that its a really obscure Australian-only-known movie...

This is what I remember. It was, I think, an Australian made telemovie. I think I saw it approx 1979/80, on a rainy weekend afternoon (probably a Sunday), with a friend, watching an old black and white TV (after everyone in Australia had their old black and white TVs as the 'second' set).

It was about a young guy who restores a XY GT Ford Falcon, and it is stolen. He chases around in an unrestored XW/XY Ford Falcon ute, trying to get the car back. I can't remember if he does though.

One scene I remember is the GT Falcon been driven by the guy that stole it down a hilly, unmade road in the bush, in the dark.

Thinking some more, it was probably featuring Sydney and surrounding areas. But I could be miles off about this.

I had no idea who the actors were - I do remember flannelette shirts + the guy who restored the car welding with an oxy torch.

And that is it. Like I said, its a long shot. I have googled this many times + never found anything...if I am lucky though, someone else out there will remember it! Its one of those movies I wish I knew the name of and whether or not the story would be really naff to watch now...

Re: 1970s car movie

Are you sure about the car type?

Differences between the standard XY GT and the GTHO

Exterior

The only two external differences between the XYGT and the XY GTHO were the front and rear spoilers. The front spoiler was made of plastic, while the rear spoiler - taken from the 1970 Mustang - was a fibreglass composite type spoiler with die cast hollow aluminium legs, featuring the Ford logo and part numbers cast inside. The fibreglass construction of the original spoilers distinguishes them from replicas or Motorcraft spoilers sold through Ford dealers, which were constructed of aluminium and, at the time, cost roughly one-third of the price of the original.

Interior

There are only 2 interior differences between the XY GT and the XY GTHO, apart from the fact that the GTHO was only available in 4 speed manual: 1) Choke in dashboard where V8 badge goes in the GT, opposite cigarette lighter. 2) GT-HO decal on glovebox lid instead of GT badges.

Comment

Re: 1970s car movie

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Are you sure about the car type?
      Ha, not really. It might have been an XY GTHO - although, as it was a restoration project, it would have likely been a clone HO....but I am not an expert in these things....

A real (with papers + pedigree) XY GT HO was stolen last year (and recovered). They are now worth approx $600,000 in our money. Which is approx 287,000 pounds for all of you.

With the fossil fuel simultaneously declining and increasing in cost...you would think they would have no value at all....not the case though. I think they will all end up in car museums. Or a Mad Max like future.....which is very depressing to contemplate for a Friday morning before work....

Comment

Working...
      X