Swap cards pegged to bike wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap cards pegged to bike wheels

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere else on the forum....have had a look and I don't think so, but then again, could be buried way down somewhere...

There was a huge fad when we were kids of pegging swap cards (old ones you didn't want anymore) to your bike wheels so the card beat against the frame and made a loud noise --- it was kind of mad --- went on for a few months in the late 70s then died away --- but for awhile there the suburban streets of Melbourne rang out with kids riding their bikes making a kind of whirring sound.

Lots of people here remember it, maybe its one of those things that comes and goes, although I have to say, I have not seen or heard of this for years....(probably too lo tech for today's iPod generation)....was this an Australian fad only, or did it happen around the world?

Re: Swap cards pegged to bike wheels

We certainly did it in the Uk, much to everyones annoyance

Comment

oh yes!

some of those footy cards now go for decent money; it was all about the here & now in the 70's....the future didn't concern us..collectors? What were they?

I'm often amazed at some of the old stuff on such as ebay, where it's never been played with/opened even!

what sort of kid did that?

although, I do wish I'd not destroyed so many Matchbox cars with bangers!

Dave
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Yep, used to do it with my Chopper but used playing cards instead.
        Also tied bunches of drinks cans to the back and dragged them along making a huge racket.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 1100 View Post
          Also tied bunches of drinks cans to the back and dragged them along making a huge racket.
          Now that is really inventive....never saw anyone dragging cans here, unless it was behind a 'just married' car....

Comment

I had a Raleigh Boxer which had plastic bits on the end of the mudguards. I worked out that I could fold these up into the tire and when it rubbed on the tread it made a motorbike noise. We'll until it wore through in a matter of weeks and ruined that game. :cry:

I never had one of those motorbike grip things that was dynamo type box with a twist grip that you fitted to the handlebars that made motorbike noises, a mate had one on his Raleigh Stryka though.

Comment

nothing new, i used to do this on my trike in the mid 50s

Comment

From the 1970's
                Heather

Comment

remember jamming ice lolly stick's through the brake block bracket at a forward angle so's the end would be just hitting your spokes, same effect as the cards i suppose
                  DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                  X