Old songs recently discovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old songs recently discovered

Ok, so I'm a Gen X girl, was a teenager in the 80s...so I knew Eric Carmen from the 'Make Me Lose Control' and 'Hungry Eyes' days - both either totally trashy or really good pop songs, depending on your point of view.

Anyway, I recently discovered he had this whole earlier career in the 70s with the Raspberries, and I found the song 'Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)' - again, totally trashy or really good depending on your POV....I like it, its on my iPod, its quite a catchy, upbeat song.

So, it made me wonder, how many other people out there have discovered old songs, years later and it made you revise what you thought about a musician/band and opened up a whole new listening world? (or at the least you found some new trashy pop for the car soundtrack?)

Re: Old songs recently discovered

Raspberries are Powerpop legends
    It's a shame that Phil Collins is only known as tedious balding balladeer, as his drumming with early Genesis & Brand X is superb.
    Another great 70's band that made classic powerpop are Big Star

Comment

Midge Ure was in a (popular for the time) scottish band called Slik( post Bay City Rollers clones) before going on to Ultravox and saving the world with Pope Bono the IV
      The eyes have it!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
        Raspberries are Powerpop legends
        It's a shame that Phil Collins is only known as tedious balding balladeer, as his drumming with early Genesis & Brand X is superb.
        Another great 70's band that made classic powerpop are Big Star
        Ha, tedious balding balladeer, you crack me up Daz.....

Hmmm....my memory of Genesis is the Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch era...which really, when you look at it, was an extension of Phil-the-Shill's career....

We had a teacher at High School that talked about early Genesis (like the Peter Gabriel era) as being the 'original and best'.....

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
          Midge Ure was in a (popular for the time) scottish band called Slik( post Bay City Rollers clones) before going on to Ultravox and saving the world with Pope Bono the IV
          Cool, I always had a soft spot for Midge Ure...even when he did go on to save the world....will look into Slik....

I love the reference on Father Ted when they talk about Midge Ure (in the lovely horse episode) being a priest who went onto be a famous muso....champagne comedy....

Comment

I personally prefer the pre-Midge Ure Ultravox! (notice the exclaimation mark) with John Foxx, they released 3 studio albums that are generally overlooked by most people.

Comment

The first three Ultravox! albums are in my top 50 of all time. Never liked any of the albums that followed apart from Vienna.

Comment

I thought of another one to add to the list. Tom Robinson Band, 2,4,6,8 Motorway. I never knew about this song until last year - and now its one of the most played on my iPod.

Comment

rod stewart made some good tunes years ago,in a broken dream,with python lee jackson is a blinding number,a bit different to baby jane etc...
                  "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Working...
                  X