PDA

View Full Version : Sunday night was bath night....

dean80's
10-08-2005, 09:21
was it just me or did everyone have a good bath the night before school...?

Aidan
10-08-2005, 12:12
Saturday night in our house - it was vital that you were clean & had smart clothes for Church on Sunday. School would've only got us dirty again....

Sally Sausages
10-08-2005, 12:17
Yep, Sunday night definitely. And then it was the god-awful toenail cutting routine. We used to get some little sweetie or choccie bar if we did it without any fuss!

dondons69
10-08-2005, 18:10
yes sunday night for us also and my mom would scrub behind my ears i'd come out red raw!!!

scally_caps_forever
11-08-2005, 08:00
yup sunday night was definatly bath night .. then if me and my sis were good we could stay up and watch hart to hart ....

optimus
27-08-2005, 02:30
yeah sunday nite, da scrub from hell. mums could be deadly when they had a flannel in their hand. ears red raw, back of the neck in tatters. ah they were the days lol me and my sis used to watch hart to hart to, with our toast and ham:)

Pootle
27-08-2005, 02:44
My mum used to scrub us with the flannel until it stung, I still wince to this day when I see one!

It was bath and then maybe if we were lucky, Tales of the Unexpected!

xmark1234
27-08-2005, 22:20
still same for me lol

Woffski
30-08-2005, 15:42
Sunday was bath night in our house when i was a youngster. I knew it was time for my bath cos you could hear the Hart to Hart music going off on the TV just after Bullseye had finished :-)

dondons69
30-08-2005, 18:22
did anyone else used to on a sunday night have sandwiches and trifle and jelly whilst watching bullseye? me and a few friends were discussing this and they did too.

dean80's
31-08-2005, 09:21
trifle on a sunday was an essentail.

stu
15-01-2006, 22:14
There were three in our family, we would have a bath on sunday, and there was a rota to see who had to get out first and who got to stay in the bath longer with time to play in the water

xmark1234
16-01-2006, 22:40
sundays still are bath nights for me lol
and im still getting up early on a monday morning to go work
you would have thought after all those years getting up to go school would change when you leave but noooooooo

SamanthaF
08-02-2006, 02:19
Sunday night too!
Wasn't Sunday night Muppet night too?

Aidan
08-02-2006, 13:50
Only on Sunday had we dessert & yes, Sun night was Muppet night. As a smaller kid still, our cousins used to call some Sundays. We'd be sent outside or to another room when The Riordans came on at 8pm.

Jamo
09-02-2006, 16:45
Yup. Sunday night. And no central heating upstairs for us, so it was downstairs to dry in front of a bar on the fire. I seem to remember eating Nutty bars (those ones with the nuts on the outside), while drying and watching To The Manor Born, or Hart to Hart.

And I'm sure I remember (though maybe my parents wouldn't admit it), that I could get out of bath night if the following week was a half-term. Why waste money heating water and getting me clean for just playing out in mud, brooks and scrapyards?

Superkav
13-02-2006, 14:02
SUnday nights here too, I remember my Mum trying to scrub my suntan marks off once! I come from an Irish family and she thought it had to be a dirty neck instead of a tan on that pale skin of ours LOL

koukou
13-02-2006, 15:06
I used to go horse riding on sundays and spent most of my time on the floor or in ditches...not good at staying on horse! Sunday night was my bath night too as there was no way I could go to school with half of derbyshire stuck to me. My mum used to warm my nightie on the radiator for me and I remember watching bulls eye and the onedin line.

mrtat2
06-03-2006, 12:22
sunday night was always bath night for us,ready for school the next day.revolting i know but i had to get in the bath water AFTER my big brother.mam would really scrub behind my ears with a flannel(ouch).now this is one thing my mam always done if she seen me in the street with my mates,she would come up and get a hankerchief out of her pocket LICK IT!!!!! and then whipe any dirt off my face totally embarresing me in front of my mates.the worse thing is if she seen me in the street today she would still do the same and i'm 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxyminx
12-03-2006, 08:40
in summer when I was a kid we got bathed outside in a dolly tub! in winter we just got washed all over as we didnt have a bathroom. I guess we`ve all been leant over a sink having mum wash our hair and us screaming cos water was going in your eyes!Yuk!God I hated it.
I remember my niece had it abit better when she came along-she got bathed in the big old belfast ceramic sink but at least it was indoors!

Laura
11-04-2006, 20:50
When I was little, my mom would bath me in the kitchen sink...I've got the pictures to prove it!
When I got too big for the sink, me and my brother (he's 2 years older) would have a bath together (nowadays I suppose that would be considered wrong?!). We thought it was great fun! And I think mom liked that she didn't have to supervise us as much.
I didn't get the flannel behind the ears, but you try having your waist-length hair dried ferociously with a towel, and then have all of the subsequent knots brushed out...OUCH!

harley121202
01-06-2006, 15:54
Yup, sunday was bath night. Unless we had been to our caravan for thee weekend, in which case Friday was bath night, then we used to pick mum up from work and drive to our caravan late Friday night. On our way back we would have sandwhiches and cake at my Uncle John's & Aunty Joan's house were I used to play hide and seek exhautedly with my cousins. If we were at homeit was in early, bath & hairwash, bullseye (I still hate it to this day!), hair dried with an amazingly hot hairdryer which burned your scalp off, then Dad would watch The Money Programme on BBC2. Bed after that.

Secret lemonade drinker
12-06-2006, 21:28
For years I thought it was only me that was forced into the bath on a Sunday night for the dreaded 'bath and hairwash'. I ask you; Sunday evening, full up after a large dinner, all I wanted to do was play Spectrum games. Yet, every week I was washed and scrubbed like a dog, it was cruel and unusual torment.

Still, I always got to stay up and watch That's Life and laugh at the 'hilarious' vegetables that resembled genitalia in various states of arousal. Damn that Esther!

Clive Henry Jones
28-06-2006, 07:01
I agree, Sunday night was bath night - except for one of my mates who would get called in early by his mum EVERY night for a bath. We thought it was wierd at the time, but I now bath both my kids every day before bedtime, so I suppose my mate's mum was a trendsetter!
Nowadays, of course, it's much less fuss - no getting /setting extra coal to heat up the bathwater in the pipes - just sit in & turn taps!
I have hazy recollections of an old iron bathtub that hung on the inside of our coal "cwtch" (shed), which was at one time used by Gran to wash Grancha in front of the fire after his shift at the pit. It was obsolete even back then, being used to transport "small" coal from where it was dumped (outside the front gate) to the cwtch.
Oh, and sunday night viewing at this time was, of course, Sunday Night at the London Palladium - all together now Da da ...daah da, da da da da daah da daah!

Polly1970
28-06-2006, 08:47
sunday night was our bath night and being 5 of us kids we all wished we were the oldest so we got the hottest water :( i was in the middle so it wasnt too bad for me i guess. my daughter didnt believe we only had baths on sunday nights lol she thinks it must of been a weird ritual.

nottrikk
02-08-2006, 10:32
What a strange thought, only bathing on a Sunday. When I was growing up, I was forced to have a bath every night. I thought this was normal, but it seems not.
I do remember, being the youngest I had to wait the longest for the water and after my two brothers had been in there, I think it might have been better to not have bothered, the water was always luke warm and looked none too clean.

But bathing on a Sunday only, not in our house.

Oh and Sunday night was Muppet night. Fortunately, I got to watch this before my bath.

Chaeo
27-02-2008, 08:48
Sunday night here as well...can't remember if it was before or after That's Life - that was a good show though! So what did we all do? Smell nice Monday and end up stinking by Saturday? Charming!

pedro
10-03-2008, 22:58
Yip Sundays for me too.....which is why I still hate a Sunday nite. Even after all these years it still feels like a ritual that can't be broken getting ready for work/school. I've tried to stay up late, go to the pub or the cinema but then i feel guilty!!!!:mad:

soapy
11-03-2008, 14:50
I still feel the same too. For me Sundays will always be assosciated with Bath night, closed shops and songs of praise, which by anybody's reckoning is enough to scar you for life.

karenbrown18
11-03-2008, 15:48
LOL tele isn't much better now on a Sunday..... probably better off in the bath anyway!!:D

Heather74
11-03-2008, 15:51
My poor kids wont remember any night fondly then. Every Night is Bath Night in our house!! Home from school, homework, bath and bed!!! what a Meanie:p

karenbrown18
11-03-2008, 15:59
My poor kids wont remember any night fondly then. Every Night is Bath Night in our house!! Home from school, homework, bath and bed!!! what a Meanie:p

Hope you feed them too Heather LOL!!:eek:

It was the same for mine.... Bath before bed!

Heather74
11-03-2008, 16:03
:eek: You mean to say kids need feeding as well as everything else!!!!:eek:

:D was meant to read, Home from school,homework,tea,bath and bed. LOL

P.S they do also get play time and story time, not so mean after all:p

barry21
05-05-2008, 09:56
Sunday night was bath night for me. Followed by songs of praise and sandwiches.
I also remember it was quiet as no one used to do much shopping on a Sunday. There were the corner shop that if you were lucky stayed open until midday.

salemsmine
16-07-2008, 01:24
Yes sunday night was bath night in our house and then out came the bone comb to check there were no nits in your hair, then we had toast and jam and a mug of hot choc while we watched Thats Life and then it was bed time, bliss:D. from maxine

Bozebo
27-07-2008, 16:14
Oh yes.... Sunday nights.....

Bath with my brother, hair washed with Vosene shampoo, ears and necks rubbed raw!! PJ's on by the fire... my mum would be doing the ironing, whilst we ate our 'whatever meat we'd had for Sunday lunch' sandwiches and either trifle or jelly and ice-cream for pudding. Once finished, the television would go on..muppets and hart to hart then stories and bed. My kids still have baths together (one's 31/2 and the other almost 7 months) and they love it - not so sure if that will be the case in 10 years time though ;). Bathtime is most nights in our house and clean pj's each night. If I remember rightly, the same nightie lasted me the whole week unless I spilt something down it...just the thought makes me go urrrrgggghh now! :eek:

I thought the Goodies were on on a Sunday aswell - or was that Saturday night? Can't remember the day but know it was a fantastic programme which assisted in helping me form a really really weird sense of humour!!!!

jimexe
08-08-2008, 15:15
I still cant watch songs of praise even today,as soon as i here the theme tune it takes me back to bath night and the misery of knowing the weekend is gone and school is only a few hours away especially if it was after the 6 weeks holiday.
Vosene must have been given away free to every parent lol.

yelever
31-08-2008, 09:03
Sunday was bath night for us as well then sitting infront of the fire in the front room to dry off. On cold nights you would run down the stairs as quick as you could trying not to freeze to much. Once time the fire was broke and sitting there hugging hot water bottles with our teeth chattering is was that cold. Remember having Matey on very special occasions for bubble bath and always getting the cold water as was the youngest. Did anyone else have a light in the bathroom with a built in heater? 1 click for just the light, 2 clicks for 1 heat ring, 3 clicks for full power.

Caz
03-10-2008, 22:30
Glad I wasn't the only one who only bathed once a week (yip, Sunday) as I've always been too ashamed to admit that to anyone lol! I remember it well as my best friend who lived downstairs (flats) went at same time and we could talk to one another as the walls were so thin. I remember it was ALWAYS Pears soap. I remember it was awful in winter though as we had ice on the inside of the windows and you would get in and out as quick as possible......no central heating back then and of course you had to hurry so as not to miss That's life anyway. I often wonder how popular bathing is now as many homes around here have banished the bath in favour of a shower cubicle and I myself haven't bathed in years as showering is just so much nicer for me.

sixtyten
03-10-2008, 22:36
I like both, but currently only have a shower unit.
Sometimes I just really want a long soak:cry:

We had the old tin bath in front of the fire as kids, but after that we were lucky enough to have always had a nice bathroom:)

HG
04-10-2008, 11:51
I remember it was awful in winter though as we had ice on the inside of the windows and you would get in and out as quick as possible......no central heating back then and of course you had to hurry so as not to miss That's life anyway.

Brrrr you've just reminded me of winter bath times, we had a little wall heater which warmed the air up to around a foot from it, so it was a hop out the bath and and under the heater while getting dried.

That's Life was Sunday night tv, used to love Doc Cox's slot:)

Raymond Luxury-Yacht
06-10-2008, 10:12
Funny how so many of us were apparently doing pretty much the same thing, but still thought we were the only ones. Like some others here we shared the water and though the thought of slipping into that dirty, tepid bathwater makes me cringe now it seemed perfectly natural at the time. While I was in there, Dad would probably be helping with the Airfix kit bought at Woolies the previous day, especially if it was a bigger series 3 or 4 model or something tricky like a biplane or sailing ship. Then he'd nip out to the pub for a bottle of pale ale while Mum would prepare supper of fried "tates" and left-over cold meat from Sunday dinner. Ate supper to a backdrop of Sunday Night at the London Palladium (always got Bruce Forsyth and Keith Fordyce muddled up) itching to get my hands on the Airfix kit again, and fighting off a growing sense of anguish as another weekend slipped away and the sheer misery of school loomed ever closer. I bloody hated every minute of school. The Tiller Girls closing routine was my cue to get ready for bed, and even now I can conjure up a whiff of the depair I felt as the final theme music came on and there were no more excuses.

Snowblue
12-12-2008, 22:02
Sunday night for me too. Bath and hair washed then the dreaded newspaper on the floor and the Derbac liquid and metal comb would come out as my mother would go through my hair searching for nits and if she found any, she cracked them between her thumb nails! :o

I still remember the smell of that stuff!

Trickyvee
13-05-2010, 19:12
Oh yes, bath night on Sunday. Always remember my dad using the water for a bath after me because I wasn't deemed too mucky and probably because it used to take about 15 years for the tank to re-heat! We also had a heater on the wall that was next to useless. A one-bar thing that glowed red. All I can remember is the smell it gave off of hot metal and burning dust. Perhaps someone can help me with some shampoo memories too. We always had two bottles of it (green for dad, pink for mam). Fairly tall cone-shaped bottles, not transparent, with dimples in the side for you to put your fingers. Anyone know what this shampoo was, or if it was shampoo? Might have been some sort of bubble bath.

ClaudineJones
13-05-2010, 20:29
Glad I wasn't the only one who only bathed once a week (yip, Sunday) as I've always been too ashamed to admit that to anyone lol!

Ours was the only house in the street with a bathroom. The next door neighbours used to come in for a bath once a year, in preparation for their holiday in Spain. The rest of the year they made do with a strip down wash in the kitchen sink, probably on a Sunday :D

Richard1978
13-05-2010, 20:39
I always used to have baths on Monday, Wednesday & Friday evenings, & Sunday mornings.

I would wash my hair on Wednesday & Sunday; after we got a decent shower I started to use that for hair washes.

branny
13-05-2010, 21:06
Sunday night was bath night. Blue plastic bath in front of the gas fire. The house I lived in until I was 12 (1979) didn't have a bathroom. Once I outgrew the bath it was washed in the kitchen, standing on this appliance that was for boling washing in. In the winter the kitchen was just too cold so it was stood up in a bowl with lots of newspaper on the floor until i was old enough to wash myself. Then it was stood at the kitchen sink. It was like being in How we used to live.

Seventies Child
20-05-2010, 12:18
Yep, Sunday night was bath and hair wash night. It was always salad for tea and tinned fruit for afters too.

Trickyvee
26-05-2010, 19:19
And who got shampoo in their eyes every single time? OOOOwwwww there was no pain like it. I remember some friends having those big round yellow things to put on your head so it wouldn't run into your eyes.

On the same note, I always remember walking to school with a bubbly nose after my mother had given my face a good scrub in the mornings. It was so awful yet I never blew it out. Perhaps I didn't know how. I don't think any of us knew how. Our snotty cardigan sleeves were a badge of honour!

darren
02-11-2010, 01:57
yes sunday night was bath night for me also.

always got my bath in time for last of the summer wine.
we still have the same plastic bath now that we had back then.
felt nice and warm but getting out you shivered like a leaf.
straight to the fire to warm up.

stuckinthe80's
02-11-2010, 09:08
Sunday night was bath night for me too. I always had 'Matey' bubble bath and had my head scrubbed with 'Vosene' shampoo. I didn't have dandruff to warrant the Vosene, my mother just liked the smell of it. Even now if I smell Matey or Vosene I'm transported back to our lemon yellow bath on a Sunday night. It's strange that I only remember having a bath on a Sunday but my mother insists I had one every night! Think it's because the Sunday night one meant school the next day!!

darren
02-11-2010, 14:24
yes thanks for reminding me stuck in the eighties.

hatted the thought of getting out of the bath so i just ran the tap a bit longer.
of course the hot water soon ran out.

i had my toy ships in the bath with me.
then id make waves nd it would sink like the titanic but with ni people on it.
yes matey bubble bath for me to.

stuckinthe80's
02-11-2010, 14:58
I used to do the add a bit more water thing too. I was a bit of a water baby I think!! I used to love being in water. Be it he Bath or just going swimming. I'd spend ages on a sunday night in the bath.

darren
02-11-2010, 15:01
I used to do the add a bit more water thing too. I was a bit of a water baby I think!! I used to love being in water. Be it he Bath or just going swimming. I'd spend ages on a sunday night in the bath.

you must be a pisces like me then.:D
we are both water babies.:D

thing was a bath was supposed to clean you.
problem was once the dirt came you into the water by the time you got it was all over you again.

stuckinthe80's
02-11-2010, 15:07
Nah mate i'm a gemini! My mother used to make me rinse the dirt off in the shower when I'd finished in the bath so I was squeaky clean and ready for my pyjamas and my supper and a bit of 'Thats Life'. Then bed so I was up for school on the Monday.

AmethystWitch
02-11-2010, 18:36
Pretty sure Sunday was bath night for me too, followed by watching Last of The Summer Wine lol

Grosh62
02-11-2010, 22:23
I used to fill the bath to the overflow and submerge myself totally(holding my nose because I breathe in when ever my nose hits the water unless I hold my nose). Then I would just be still and listen to my heart beat for as long as I could. Then repeat as often as I could before being shouted down by mum............... occasionally I would get washed, just occasionally.

darren
03-11-2010, 00:46
I used to fill the bath to the overflow and submerge myself totally(holding my nose because I breathe in when ever my nose hits the water unless I hold my nose). Then I would just be still and listen to my heart beat for as long as I could. Then repeat as often as I could before being shouted down by mum............... occasionally I would get washed, just occasionally.

haha.
do you still do that.
only the misses shouts at you.

its quite amazing just how many of us had the same routine as in bath time then l o t s w
anyone get to watch thats life.
think it was on bbc 1 at wither 8 or else 9.

Grosh62
05-11-2010, 00:39
haha.
do you still do that.
only the misses shouts at you.

its quite amazing just how many of us had the same routine as in bath time then l o t s w
anyone get to watch thats life.
think it was on bbc 1 at wither 8 or else 9.

I shower now so I don't really have to hold by nose under the water or my breath. I do miss That's Life which was utter dross but compelling TV...Sausages!

darren
05-11-2010, 01:09
I shower now so I don't really have to hold by nose under the water or my breath. I do miss That's Life which was utter dross but compelling TV...Sausages!

just for you mate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f309fSTWYo4

Grosh62
07-11-2010, 11:14
just for you mate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f309fSTWYo4

Genius! Cheers darren

Trickyvee
11-01-2012, 21:11
What sorts of toys did you take into the bath. Over the years I remember having a traditional rubber duck (which I still have) a little plastic wind up dolphin and hippo, my little pony seahorse thing and hello colour teddy that changed colour in warm water. Sindy sometimes came in for a swim too!

wispa lover
12-01-2012, 19:11
For me, it was tubby turtle.

havasack
13-01-2012, 00:03
I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere in here but the theme tune to 'Black Beauty' still makes me want to have a bath. That was the sign for my sister to get out the bath and me to get in.

Marine Boy
13-01-2012, 00:21
Yep, I had the Sunday night bath. My favourite toy was one I talked about in another thread ... the submarine that was powered by a little tablet! There were also a variety of little plastic boats as well.

I recall really loving my Sunday baths. But later in the evening there was that realisation it was school the next day.

darren
13-01-2012, 01:47
Yep, I had the Sunday night bath. My favourite toy was one I talked about in another thread ... the submarine that was powered by a little tablet! There were also a variety of little plastic boats as well.

I recall really loving my Sunday baths. But later in the evening there was that realisation it was school the next day.

yeah having the bath on sunday was great mate.
around 7 i had mine.
also hated getting out the cold just hit you.

i used to keep putting in more hot water.

Marine Boy
13-01-2012, 03:04
...i used to keep putting in more hot water.

I forgot about this........................ but I did the same!

darren
13-01-2012, 13:02
I forgot about this........................ but I did the same!

haha.
thing was the more you put in the more you stayed in but eventually u had to get out.

Trickyvee
13-01-2012, 16:11

I still do this now sometimes, put my head under so just my nose sticks out and kind of float. It's very relaxing like going back to the womb. Just make sure you don't fall asleep and slip under!

darren
27-02-2012, 14:55
wow sindy came in to the bath.:D

i just had a rubber duck and iother various floating toys.
sometimes i brought an odd he man figure in as well.
never rried sleeping in the bath that idea freaked me out.

What sorts of toys did you take into the bath. Over the years I remember having a traditional rubber duck (which I still have) a little plastic wind up dolphin and hippo, my little pony seahorse thing and hello colour teddy that changed colour in warm water. Sindy sometimes came in for a swim too!

80sChav
27-02-2012, 17:41

I think from re-collection that I hyad similar toys too at this age, a boat etc. I recall sunday Nights as "Bath Nights" well, but as you say Marine Boy it dawned on you later that it was School in the Morning. If only I had thought though and realised then that School was'nt rubbish etc as I percieved it to be. Hinesight, is such a powerful thing I think - for god and bad reason's, but it is great too too I reckon.

darren
28-05-2016, 15:30
couple of times i near did fall asleep in the bath was only the soapy water in my mouth that stopped me dozig off.

Id heard a few stories of kids drowning in the bath so i made sure i didnt drop off.

PLENTY OF BUBBLE BATH THO TOO.

zabadak
31-05-2016, 17:17
I seem to remember playing with something called Squeezy foam... :confused:

angliaknight
01-06-2016, 09:06
This thread jogged my memory, yes Sunday nights bath night also because only religious prog's on tv the radio was turned on and we listened to "Sing something simple" which iirc was the mike sammes singers. The god slot ran from 6.15 to 7.25 pm sunday nights and was pretty dire, Songs of praise is still on, its main rival was "Stars on Sunday" other shows i can recall are "The rain on the leaves" poetry readings, "Pilgrims progress" a very strange surreal drama series of which perhaps only one episode exists.
Granada tried to up the tempo later with "Reports action".ATV introduced "Tingha and tucker" and Harry secombe took to the "Highway".

darren
01-06-2016, 17:50
THIS IS WHAT I HAD IN MY BATH.

AND OF COURSE GETTING IT IN MY EYES OUCH.

BUT IT WAS A LOVELY SCENT.

OF COURSE THE SUNDAY BATH MEANT SCHOOL THE NXT DAY.:(

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/47/fd/1547fdd2cd00426a5ea54a5a3433248e.jpg

trip2themoon
07-07-2016, 19:47
It was always at bang on 7 pm on a Sunday for a bath. being the middle child I still remember having to share the bath with each of my 2 sisters. Glad I don't have a bath anymore. It got taken away and replaced with a shower.

Twocky61
07-07-2016, 21:15
Not me

I was a felly smucker lol

darren
07-07-2016, 21:56
I was always out in time for last of the summer wine then thats life and off the bed.

Mulletino
08-07-2016, 00:56
Sunday was deffo bath night, I seem to remember watching Star Trek before the bath then the Muppet Show afterwards for some reason.

Toys were some plastic boats, some rubber sharks, a M.A.C. boat and divers. An auntie got me a three set of soaps for xmas once, a red, blue and yellow one, shaped like speed boats that came in a polystyrene box like an egg carton. I played with those too.

I also seem to remember once having some bubble bath that was like slime and turned bright yellow.

DSCOMAN
09-07-2016, 09:43
maybe when younger it was Sunday...but then it was Definately Saturday Nights !
rota with siblings (and depending on coal fire heater getting temp hot enough "don't use all the hot water")....then watching Starsky and Hutch while rubbing dubbon on footy boots ready for next day's sunday league...where most of the time was spent as SUB. ;-(

darren
09-07-2016, 22:10
ive 3 other brothers 2 are younger and we all got bathed on sunday nights.

Thing with a bath after you where about to get out the dirt in the water which was from the person having the bath the dirt floats in the water and when you get out you have some of it on you.

Mulletino
11-07-2016, 00:52
^ even worse when you're the youngest and go last, so that's your siblings dirt too!

Trickyvee
17-03-2017, 08:40
I was never allowed to have Matey. Most of the time we didn't even use proper bubble bath. It was usually a squirt of washing up liquid.

George 1978
29-10-2017, 04:28
Yes, I used to dread Sunday nights as a child - school in the morning, and all that. Sir Harry Secombe visiting the Grampian Television region on Highway.

But after a wash, there was That's Life! and Spitting Image, Hale and Pace, and Clive James or Tarrant on TV.

Sundays were so awful back in the 1980s - no shops open, omnibus edition of EastEnders, and other things. I am glad things have improved now.

marc
29-10-2017, 09:14
I was never allowed to have Matey. Most of the time we didn't even use proper bubble bath. It was usually a squirt of washing up liquid.

Just plain old soap for us.....

Twocky61
29-10-2017, 10:25
Not me

I was a felly smucker lol

Only joking lol

When I stayed at my grandparents late sixties Granny would sit me on the draining board in the kitchen where she would wash me

After that I used the bathroom. Afterwards I would get dressed in the lounge but shyly in front of the news reader on the TV. I thought they could see me lol

stud1al
30-10-2017, 08:43
"So, in conclusion i'll just say it's nothing like back 'ome
And sometimes i'm regretful that i started out to roam
But i'll stay and I'll have a giggle as i civilize this 'ere lot
and i'll 'ave me bath each Saturday night
whether i need it or not"

Willy the whinging Pom

Twocky61
31-10-2017, 11:21
"So, in conclusion i'll just say it's nothing like back 'ome
And sometimes i'm regretful that i started out to roam
But i'll stay and I'll have a giggle as i civilize this 'ere lot
and i'll 'ave me bath each Saturday night
whether i need it or not"

:)

Powdered toast man
03-12-2017, 18:06
As a kid growing up in the Eighties in a dull backwater of a town, Sundays were always empty, dead days. Just whiling away the time before the school week started up the next day. Sunday teatimes were always a visit to my Grandad and Great Aunt. Being given a cup of weak, sweet tea in a light-blue plastic mug. And salad sandwiches, which I hated. It would be getting dark outside. On the TV would be something like Seal Morning, or Return Of The Antelope. Then something completely dismal and prosaic, such as Antiques Roadshow. And bloody Bullseye. When it was time to come home, the walk up the path was a head-clearing noseful of fresh air after an hour of cigarette smoke, parental gossip and sandwiches. You could usually catch the smell of a coal fire or a damped down garden fire most Sunday evenings, especially in winter. Most of the houses in the cul-de-sac were closed up for the night, with usually just a living-room light on and the dead, end of week gloom was everywhere. Once at home, there was no going back. A bath, with the radio on playing the Pepsi Chart Show was inevitable. As was school the next morning.

Sundays are indeed the long dark teatime of the soul.

Zincubus
03-12-2017, 20:17
I seem to recall watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium and Cannonball on Sunday evenings .. and a few years later watching Onedin Line and loving how SLOW time seemed to pass watching it ... I hated school ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trickyvee
03-12-2017, 22:48
As a kid growing up in the Eighties in a dull backwater of a town, Sundays were always empty, dead days. Just whiling away the time before the school week started up the next day. Sunday teatimes were always a visit to my Grandad and Great Aunt. Being given a cup of weak, sweet tea in a light-blue plastic mug. And salad sandwiches, which I hated. It would be getting dark outside. On the TV would be something like Seal Morning, or Return Of The Antelope. Then something completely dismal and prosaic, such as Antiques Roadshow. And bloody Bullseye. When it was time to come home, the walk up the path was a head-clearing noseful of fresh air after an hour of cigarette smoke, parental gossip and sandwiches. You could usually catch the smell of a coal fire or a damped down garden fire most Sunday evenings, especially in winter. Most of the houses in the cul-de-sac were closed up for the night, with usually just a living-room light on and the dead, end of week gloom was everywhere. Once at home, there was no going back. A bath, with the radio on playing the Pepsi Chart Show was inevitable. As was school the next morning.

Sundays are indeed the long dark teatime of the soul.

The smell of garden fires, trudging up the road under the glare of orange street lights, cold air hitting my face after the 100 degree temperatures of my gran's overheated house. This was my Sunday teatime. i must have lived a hundred Octobers!

George 1978
04-12-2017, 23:13
It's a lot easy to get into the transition from going to school to having a day off (Friday to Saturday), then it is to do the reverse of that (Sunday to Monday).

darren
05-12-2017, 16:03
JUST A SQUIRT OF FAIRY LIQUID MOST TIMES HOW DID THAT EFFECT YOUR SKIN ETC.

WAS IT CAUSE MATEY WAS EXPENSIVE THAT YOU DID GET THAT TREAT.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c8/64/77/c86477c6876b10b4d2de40fabe115bb1.jpg

George 1978
06-12-2017, 05:32
JUST A SQUIRT OF FAIRY LIQUID MOST TIMES HOW DID THAT EFFECT YOUR SKIN ETC.

My parents used to use that New Pin (?) washing up liquid in those huge bottles that they used to put into old bubble bath containers, and that really confused me when I saw washing up liquid in bottles with "bubble bath" written on them - why were they washing plates and dishes with bubble bath, I wondered when I was younger.

Yes, Matey bubble bath - although as my skin was sensitive, I had to go for Infacare instead. For old times sake, I put some in a running bath a few years ago, and the smell of it brought back so many memories of a child some 20 odd years before.

Mind you, now you have mentioned Matey, I might just add that on my Tesco online Christmas shopping list...