• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jossie's Giants

"Here come Jossie's Giants,
    footballs just a branch of science,
    blah blah blah etc"

Can anyone else remember more of the lyrics to this great programme??

Swapping their homework for footwork,
    Kicking the ball till its dark,

Here go Jossy's Giants,
    Footballs just a branch of science,
    Head the ball, now Jossy calls . . .
    Jossy's Giants!

Dependable, Reliant
    Put your faith in Jossy's Giants
    Get stuck in, we're gonna win . . .
    Jossy's Giants!

This was the work of the great Darts commentator Sid Wadell.

Comment

I remember Jossy's Giants well. Much of it was filmed in or near Stalybridge where I lived as a kid.

Comment

I still have them all on Betamax somewhere!

Comment

Me and a mate have just made a Jossy's Giants website.

http://www.jossysgiants.org

Let me know what you think!

Comment

The goalie, real name Julian Walsh, sat next to me in form subjects at secondary school (forced to sit alphabetically). He was quite a character in real life, sending younger kids to see the headmaster as a joke and nicking wood from woodwork.

If I remember correctly, his older brother went for the audition with his drama class and Julian tagged along, but caught the auditioners' attention. We were in the third or fourth year.

Was he any good at footy in real life? Nope. Hehe. He just wasn't. But he was a joker, that's for sure.

I seem to remember he got a segment on a Saturday morning show in the later 80s, called Cool Jules.

I also ended up working side-by-side in a shop for a week with Angela Freear, who had some small part in the second series, so she told me.

By the way, great website that.

...Jamo

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
              By the way, great website that.
              Cheers Jamo!

The goalie, real name Julian Walsh, sat next to me in form subjects at secondary school (forced to sit alphabetically). He was quite a character in real life, sending younger kids to see the headmaster as a joke and nicking wood from woodwork.
              Yes, when casting kids, they often choose people fairly similar to the character they're going to play - that way it's not too much of a stretch! Thanks for the information about how he was cast. That might well be something we can use on the website at some point!

Angela Freear wasn't lying to you. She played a recurring girlfriend character called Melanie in series 2

Comment

JOSSIES GIANTS!!! (that is all I remember, them shouting that). :O

Comment

you can download the theme tune to loads of films and television shows on www.tv.cream.org
                  This is another great site thats worth a look.

Comment

Exciting news! Jim Barclay who played Jossy has agreed to do an interview and we're asking people to submit any questions they might have.

Just go to the site http://www.jossysgiants.org and click on the news button on the front page

Comment

Re: Jossie's Giants

Did you know that Sid Waddell (the darts commentator) wrote this show?
                      "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post
                        Yes
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post

If you read the second post in this thread i mentioned that :-p

Woff

Comment

Oops! Missed that one.........must have been the change of font that made me overlook it.
                            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

I'm just getting into this after years of hearing about it (but not properly following it). It was quite weak I think - like a more general pre-version of Byker Grove, but with a lot lot more emphasis on the Footy of course! Was quite interesting (in patches though)

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X