PDA

View Full Version : Pacers ..... And Sweets Of Youth .

scally_caps_forever
26-08-2005, 18:00
not sure if this has been covered in a previous thread ...

but who remembers pacers the spearmint chew with stripes... about the same size and texture as an opal fruit ..

and whilst on a the subject of edibles who remembers the baked bean flavoured piggy crisps theyn were kinda hollow ... what where they called ????

me n miss sausages were stumped ....

optimus
27-08-2005, 02:25
hi there, me and the missus (pootle) think the crisps were called piglets. hope that helps ya out

Pootle
27-08-2005, 02:46
Pacers were gorgeous and I can't for the life of me understand why they ever got rid of them. Can you remember the advert for them with the ice skaters? That was soooo cheesy.

There was another sweet that I used to love, which I can't remember the name of; it was like a multi-coloured striped chew, which was all different fruit flavours. Someone told me the name of it a while ago but like a complete klutz I forgot it, but they were lush!

dondons69
27-08-2005, 20:57
the multi coloured chews do you mean the ones that came in like a net bag?

Woffski
30-08-2005, 15:39
Piglets - tiny little potatoes pigs with a hollow middle. Baked bean flavour.

Pootle
02-09-2005, 17:20
Nope, the multi coloured thing was more of like a bar...it's annoying me to bits now!

Ellie Mental
05-09-2005, 01:05
Yeah the Pacers were lovely - my Nan always got them for us and I think the multicoloured ones were called "Striper" the advert had people turning multicoloured stripes. That was noce too mut I wanted it to be chewier so it lasted longer!

Pootle
06-09-2005, 21:23
Simple as that Ellie, a Striper, and there was me racking my brain.... thank yoooooooo!

landsmith2001
03-10-2005, 20:14
i sure it was called splicer

Aidan
04-10-2005, 16:45
Apparently, back in the 60s, those hard sweets ( cola cubes, lemon sherbets, rhubarb'n'custard etc. ) were called "gallon sweets" because of the size of tin they came in while the tins were known as " sweet gallons" !
Chicken and egg....

mrtat2
04-03-2006, 23:36
remember spangles??? or when starburst were called opal fruits(yum),or marathon before it turned into snickers!!!!!!!... i too remember pacers(mentioned elsewhere)and texan,blast from the past back in the shops,as nice but sure its a bit smaller than it used to be??

Jaydee
24-04-2006, 05:15
i can remember paying 10p for a packet of maltesers and thinking that it was expensive! we used to visit a little sweet shop (remember those?!) in Shifnal (Shropshire those days) that we used to call 'Mrs Spencer's Sweet Shop' although that probably was nothing like the real name. She had every sweet that a child could ever hope to covet! Our favourites were the sugar mice with string tails that made us feel sick as dogs for the rest of the day. She used to bring out a footstool for us to stand on so we could see over the counter. Can't see the supermarkets doing that these days ;)

SundayGirl
09-05-2006, 10:13
I remember Pacers! and Striper! And weren't Piglets (in a red bag 5p) crispy bacon flavour? (hence the shape). Sugary mice made me feel sick too. As a consolation for being dragged around relatives I used to get a bag of Piglets or 'Football Crazy' corn snacks (shaped..... like footballs!) and a packet of Galaxy Counters or a Moose bar - remember them? I think they were a cheap version of a milky way with a moose on the wrapper. Actually it was maybe Football Crazy's that were crispy bacon flavour........ *mind goes fuzzy*

Trace
13-05-2006, 01:12
i can remember paying 10p for a packet of maltesers and thinking that it was expensive! we used to visit a little sweet shop (remember those?!) in Shifnal (Shropshire those days) that we used to call 'Mrs Spencer's Sweet Shop' although that probably was nothing like the real name. She had every sweet that a child could ever hope to covet! Our favourites were the sugar mice with string tails that made us feel sick as dogs for the rest of the day. She used to bring out a footstool for us to stand on so we could see over the counter. Can't see the supermarkets doing that these days ;)

I was born in Shifnal. :)

God - loved the sugar mice.

Mojo's.
annisead balls.

Do you remember when you were little Cadbury creme eggs seemed like they were the size of footballs - they seem tiny now....

dondons69
13-05-2006, 07:00
Do you remember when you were little Cadbury creme eggs seemed like they were the size of footballs - they seem tiny now....[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which look here - www.pimpmysnack.com (http://www.pimpmysnack.com)

Jaydee
15-05-2006, 00:20
I was born in Shifnal. :)

God - loved the sugar mice.

Mojo's.
annisead balls.

Do you remember when you were little Cadbury creme eggs seemed like they were the size of footballs - they seem tiny now....

Hehe Trace - I saw your other post about the 'he who should not be named' concert with your fiance's mum. we used to take our dog to cannock chase when i was a very little person! i'm glad someone else remembers the sugar mice! and YES! the creme eggs had a similar effect on my stomach to the sugar mice lol!

Oggy
12-10-2006, 18:19
How about Hoboes too, toffee and banana flavours half and half, yellow and brown, but Pacers were like mint Opal fruits aka Starburst today, like Marathon has become a Snickers, lol. Then the daddy of all sweets

SPACE DUST!

foxy
18-10-2006, 16:57
hi yeah i remember did,nt the pacers originally be like white and then had the green stipes added.
also those piggy things loved em,tried to get them but no chance,if i remember right wer,nt they made by burtons ?

gturner200561
18-10-2006, 17:29
Do you remember when you were little Cadbury creme eggs seemed like they were the size of footballs - they seem tiny now....[/quote

Same thing has happened to Wagon Wheels and Curly Whirlys

tanas
19-10-2006, 16:12
Those long chews were called Splicers, remember them well.
What happened to the coconut one in Revels? That used to be my favourite apart from the big Galaxy Counter-a-like thats still there now.

sixtyten
21-10-2006, 16:53
ahh..memories
sweet cigarettes (hard white variety)
chocolate cigarettes (inedible waxy chocolate)
Spangles,Treets,sweet tobacco,Blobs,Banjos,Aztec bars,Milk Tray Bar,Bar Six,Nutty,Caramac (was and still is vile)..I remember them well.
Does anyone remember the butterscotch bar advertised by Harry Worth??
or those Uncle Remus kits sold in sweet shops?? ;)

Oggy
21-10-2006, 17:02
Remember the Uncle Remus kits in the Little Chefs every year we went on holiday me dad would buy them

salemsmine
13-07-2008, 01:09
they were a bit like opal mints, and the ad went , step ahead with a pacer mint. salemsmine

Heather74
01-02-2009, 17:27
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/huggie74/pacers.jpg

the red max
08-05-2009, 13:35
they were a bit like opal mints, and the ad went , step ahead with a pacer mint. salemsmine

I think Pacers replaced Opal Mints, and if memory serves they weren't striped originally, just plain white like Opal Mints.

All this stuff dates us quite accurately, doesn't it. I'm 39, and I'm guessing that's a little older than many posters around here. Some of you young whippersnappers probably don't remember Aquafresh before they added the red stripe, heh!

chilligrape
15-08-2009, 20:58
i sure it was called splicer

Yeah it was definately a Splicer..they were lovely!

kirsty
03-10-2011, 20:50
any photos of splicer