...... When Garages Did Repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...... When Garages Did Repairs?

Just been down to my local garage, took a tyre in and said "its got a slow puncture, please fix it."

"We will have to send for someone."

"Do you not do tyres?"

"No."

"I thought this was a garage?"

"Yes we are.............."

Another:

Esso Garage (Tesco) not too far from my home. Went in for some screen wash.

"Can you tell me where the car accessories are?"

"We don't sell car accessories"

"Why not, you're a garage?"

"No, we are not, we are now a shop that sells petrol!!!""We find motorists do not want spares" - amazing!
    Last edited by Elbmek; 25-09-2008, 11:50.

Re: ...... When Garages Did Repairs?

I had the problem trying to find a petrol can and oil for the bike.
    Apparently all petrol cans had been 'recalled' that week
    Last edited by sixtyten; 25-09-2008, 17:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
      "We don't sell car accessories"

"Why not, you're a garage?"

"No, we are not, we are now a shop that sells petrol!!!""We find motorists do not want spares" - amazing!
      Of course not-what motorists really, really want is to pay three quid for a tuna sandwich. This is, sadly, depressingly familiar. But then, we're living in a world where some bookshops now sell coffee and have comfy chairs so that you can sit and read the books right through, occasionally dripping hot liquid on them, and then put them back on the shelves instead of buying them. It makes my head hurt.

Comment

So true!
        I can remember going into bookshops and reading through a few, only to be asked by the staff If I intented to purchase one, as it wasn't a library

Comment

I hate these new 'Service Stations'....all they do is sell mags, food and fags, oh and the petrol....

I loved the old Petrol Stations that had a garage and mechanic. They had that smell of oil, petrol and paraffin, seeing the grimy mechanic or the oil pools on the concrete floors or some knackered up motor being on a jack or being in for its M.O.T....anyone else remember that? They used to sell paraffin.

We used to have an Aladdin paraffin heater in our bathroom and my Dad would go to the local Garage, run by an 'Old Mr Parsons' and come home with some. Sometimes Parsons Garage had blue paraffin, or yellow, or red but mainly pink.

Yes, Garages were garages up until the begining of the 1990s imho....Now its all Esso, BP, Shell etc and all they do is just sell stuff like a mini mart.

Comment

the other thing is that, after filling up, lots of people go and have a longggg wander around the aisles of the shop bit, while of course their car is still occupying the pump!

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
            X