PDA

View Full Version : The day that's in it Princess Diana

Aidan
31-08-2005, 15:14
...who remembers exactly where they were/ what they were doing when they heard Diana died ?

dondons69
31-08-2005, 15:55
i remember exactly i was in torremolinos with my sister and we were walking to the pool and everyone was saying dianas died, so we went to buy the paper but nothing was in there so i rang my mum and she told me it was true.

salty
31-08-2005, 18:10
i was sitting in the front room with a huge hangover,when i heard it on the news it sobered me right up!

childofthe80's
01-09-2005, 00:55
I was sitting watching t.v and they broke into the program (forgot which one) I cried that day

dean80's
01-09-2005, 13:09
i had just arrived home from a nightclub the night it happened and i put the TV on and every channel had the tunnel and the crash on....I tried to watch it for as long as possible as they were operating on Diana, i eventually fell asleep and woke later in the morning thinking it was a horrible dream....

Aidan
05-09-2005, 12:48
I was in a supermarket at about midday 31.8.97 , I met a then-neighbour who casually mentioned : "oh yeah, Diana died."
me - "Diana who ?"
him - "Princess Di. "
He told me what had happened, I ran home, switched on the tv & there it was. The girl reading the news was crying. Sad times.

SpiralCoolStuff
08-09-2005, 21:39
i'd just gotten up and decided to check out the news channel for some reason, maybe was just flicking through, when i saw that she'd died.....i was shocked and stunned. Then my mum got up and when i told her at first she thought i was joking till she saw the news too. We couldnt belive it.

optimus
14-09-2005, 02:45
I was in canada when i heard she died. was still up on a pish up when it just came on tv. was really shocked when i found it and it took a while to sink in

foxyminx
28-03-2006, 08:08
I was sat listening to the uk top 40 chart and the news came on and said that they are going to be flying Diana`s body back to uk. I thought Diana`s body??WHAT!? No way! I just couldn`t believe it, so I put the tv on and found out it was true. DEEP SHOCK. I cried. The tv stayed on for weeks afterwards watching it all. So sad. A waste. She was a beautiful woman. Still makes me cry to think of what happened.

tanas
29-03-2006, 09:03
I was in bed with a hangover listening to my boyfriend downstairs getting ready to go to play football. I remember him running up the stairs to tell me because he'd put the news on and being in total shock. What a horrible day - the radio stations only played classical music and when I went out to get the papers there was nobody around, it was really eerie and a day I'll never forget.

David
12-05-2006, 09:46
I was listening to Talk Radio (now Talksport) and I heard Ian Collins announce it not long after it happened. I was half asleep and didn't think that I'd heard it properly, thought I'd imagined it. Then Ian (quite rightly) immediately changed the content of the show from one that was usually light-hearted and very funny to a show full of tributes and listeners memories etc. The more I listened, the more it sunk in, I was very upset and can remember crying as I lay in bed.

Marky
10-08-2006, 18:12
i remebr watching it news early in the morning

DVDMonkey
23-08-2006, 10:37
I was watching some old B movie (peter cushing in it- not sure- drunk) at about 1.30am when the first news flash came thru.

I was with my new flatmate, and we had been out with my mates to the boozer.

I remember them saying that Dodi Fayed had died, and so I kinda knew it was bad. Got up later that morning (not with the flatmate) to hear that Diana didn't make it.

Me and the flatmate got together the following year and have now been married for nearly 4 years, and we always remember that night around the end of August 97 - 9 years ago almost.

The event didn't really get to me too much, until i saw the 'mummy' reeth- very upsetting.

John

nottrikk
07-09-2006, 12:01
I must admit I didn't care much for the fluttery eyelashed drain on the economy.

When I found out that she had died, My mum came into my room with tears in her eyes and said that Di had died. I looked up, said "And?" and rolled over and went back to sleep.

Sorry if it sounds callous, but I really have no time whatsoever for the royals. They provide tourism for the country... so freaking what!

Dean
08-09-2006, 21:53
I remember turning the tv on in the early morning after the crash, in order to check the weather on the text as we were travelling to France for a holiday that day. I still rememberthe sense of shock and my wifes disbelief when I woke her up to tell her.
I watched the funeral on French tv in a bar and was touched by the sympathetic reaction of the locals, I still have a copy of 'Paris Match' magazine covering the funeral.

MommaMystique
12-10-2006, 13:27
I had just come downstairs after bathing my daughter and the au pair came in and told me about it. Spent the rest of the day with the TV switched off.

Aidan
18-10-2006, 17:30
The response over here was phenomenal, queues everywhere to sign books of condolences - possibly more cos we saw the effect it had on ordinary UK folk than Di meaning anything to us.

steve edwards
04-11-2006, 19:19
i remember that day i was sat at home and it came on the telly , i phoned my mum and she burst into tears , as did i , apparently when it came on the local ambulance station news no one said a word when the next job came in they just got into the truck and went and the remaining crews wept in the station

steve edwards
04-11-2006, 19:20
as i recall puff dady was in the charts with i,ll be missing you , i went to do first aid with the jonnies at her funeral , heart breaking

sixtyten
04-11-2006, 22:10
Bovvered??

Aidan
17-11-2006, 16:25
Why d'you say that Daz ?

Mojo
22-11-2006, 15:50
LOL

I was working in Greece at the time and I heard the news at about 9am local time. I phoned my mum who in her sleepy stupor said, oh well you're 2 hours ahead of us, it probably hasnt happened over here yet.

In the Indian restaurant we worked in, the Menu was changed and the day's Special was Coronation Chicken, Steak Diana and Death by Chocolate. Then the singers came in and we did a minutes silence before they sang "Oh Lord Won't You Buy Me A Mercedes Benz"

We couldn't buy a paper for weeks on the island as they were selling out within 5 minutes of the shops being open, and loads of Brits were flying over purely to get away from the misery of England.

The Greeks assumed that as we were from near London (??) that we must have known Diana personally and out of sympathy plied us with free beers for about 2 weeks after the event.

Oh happy days!!!

bmx bandit
22-11-2006, 20:42
recovering from a night out came down stairs mother glued to telly and i said "oh has she sacked another charity like" OOPS!!

SG1973
25-11-2006, 10:22
I must admit I didn't care much for the fluttery eyelashed drain on the economy.

When I found out that she had died, My mum came into my room with tears in her eyes and said that Di had died. I looked up, said "And?" and rolled over and went back to sleep.

Sorry if it sounds callous, but I really have no time whatsoever for the royals. They provide tourism for the country... so freaking what!

Totally agree with you mate. I also have no time whatsoever for the Royal "Family". Fair enough it's not a nice thing to happen but it does happen, to everyone from all walks of life. Just because she was in the public eye there was no need for the country to go into meltdown. She was only 1 person. And I know she did humanitarian things around the world but that was her job.

It's a total shame people don't have the same kind of sympathy and compassion for the living. People treat each other like sh*t most of the time but then weep and wail in public for a woman they never even met. Talk about hypocrisy!!!

And just in case you think I'm being callous I heard whilst preparing to do a sponsored abseil that day off one of the tallest buildings in Manchester to raise over £300 for one of her charities, The British Red Cross, which I did.

Oggy
06-01-2007, 23:03
Well I went to belize, see some of my memories in Belize it or not on here, as a volunteer to build an old peoples home, best thing I've ever done, the people and the country were magnificent.

Dark Helmet
02-02-2007, 11:33
At work in the morning then playing cards down the pub at lunch and going home to find the wife actually crying over it lmfao!

Burbs
21-03-2007, 21:05
Arrived early at work - when the lads were sat in the canteen and told me - everyone in shock - Not a big fan of the royals but I found it incredibly sad - she was so beautiful had two kids who were young - Some say the humanitarian bit was her job and she was very privileged. Well personally i would not have wanted that much intrusion into everything I did for any kind of privilege.
What a waste !

sixtyten
21-03-2007, 22:10
Why d'you say that Daz ?
Coz I hated her

Moomin Dave...
10-06-2007, 12:43
I was possibly more drunk than I'd ever been, crashed out on my Dad's bathroom floor, having drunk copious amounts of Tequila in Whitley Bay... :eek::o:p:D

I remember being shocked when I heard the news, and later on that emotion turned to anger when I found out the Newcastle match had been called off as a result of the accident. Never understood that, it's not like she was our centre forward or anything...

joybee
10-06-2007, 16:46
I woke up on the Sunday morning - seven o'clock alarm as we (my late hubby George and myself) were going Metal Detecting and it was on the news - first thing that I heard that day !!
We went on to our Dig and all the members held a one minute silence at eleven o'clock for her.

suzannewozere2
18-12-2008, 16:13
My middle child had got up and turned the telly on, heard the news then woke us up. At first we thought she'd made a mistake but then we saw for ourselves:(

Anastassia
20-12-2008, 11:12
I was staying at my mums- having left my first husband- and had got up and seen it on the news. I went upstairs to tell her..like a lot of people she didnt believe it at first and had to get up and see for herself.

Tass

frame
20-12-2008, 13:18
i was watching mtv, I remember the roads were very quiet the next day, come to think of it the roads are quiet here most of the time

rossobantam
21-12-2008, 16:14
me & the missus were up early that day, off to sell at the nearby car boot.

Then for the funeral, all of the shops closed as a mark of respect......always remember the 'Hallelujah' song-bit in the service...very moving

branny
11-02-2009, 17:03
I am very much a night person and was watching the tv movie version of Night of the hunter starring Richard Chamberlain when the first news flash came on, must've been about 3am. They weren't certain how bad it was at that point.

ridski
12-02-2009, 00:15
I was in a all-night club, downstairs near the security guys and the paramedics. About 2.30, or whenever it was, the news came out over the medics radio, made it into the room we were in, then we were telling everyone else. Around 6.30, the news came back down to us again. All night we had been cracking jokes about the whole thing, as none of us were particularly royal fans. Then the club closed, we went to McDonalds for coffee, and there was sombre classical music playing in there and people were crying. That's when it hit home, that this was no ordinary death, this was a national mourning.

Two weeks later, the woman who would later become my wife came to London, and we went to Kensington Gardens and the flowers were still there, packed six feet high and and about 20 feet deep, and you could still read many of the cards on the closest ones. The whole thing just made me remember my Dad, who died when I was 10 and I ended up bawling my fricking eyes out, and so did she. So we composed ourselves, went to the Catherine Wheel pub which was round the corner back then (though it's gone now), and had a couple of drinks and a chat. I think that's when I realized I wanted to marry that woman. That was one crazy couple of weeks.

frame
12-02-2009, 00:43
My thought was at the time,"oh well,people die every day,why is this any different",still my thought till this day.Amen.

chilligrape
16-08-2009, 20:44
My son was only 9 days old and I got up during night to feed him, put the tele on and it was saying Diana had a crash and was in hospital, I went back to sleep nd when i woke up again, the news as she had died. All radio stations all day played really sad music with hardly any presenters.

Richard1978
16-08-2009, 22:24
I found out by looking on Teletext.

Someone I used to work with (& I didn't know at the time) had gone to one of the smaller Greek islands a couple of days earlier for a 3 week "get away from it all" holiday.

He hardly heard any news while away, & by the time he got back things had began to get back to normal.

chrisredditch
27-08-2009, 21:20
I was in Suffolk as on the Saturday afternoon I went to see West Brom draw 1 - 1 at Ipswich.
In the evening I went to a big p*ss up with my wife, brother and his wife at the Army camp at Wattisham.
Woke up with a hangover and the news was broken by my brother after 10am as we'd all slept in.
Shocking News but at the end of the day I didn't know her so I wasn't upset. People die in accidents everyday.

Agnetha352
27-07-2011, 19:45
My friend Brian told me. As Brian is a bit of a joker and the tone he used was somewhat casual, I assumed he was mucking around. Then another friend confirmed it. As an Irishwoman, it didn't particularly affect me.

Trickyvee
27-07-2011, 21:04
In bed on the Sunday morning, about 7am. Put the telly on and it was on the news.

darren
28-07-2011, 00:19
i remember i was watching the london marathon and a few later it was all over the news that diana was dead.

terrible how the driver was supposedly drunk.

HG
28-07-2011, 07:47
i remember i was watching the london marathon and a few later it was all over the news that diana was dead.

terrible how the driver was supposedly drunk.

I think your memory's playing tricks there Darren, Diana died in August and the London Marathon is always on in April.

havasack
31-10-2011, 01:11
Had been out on the Saturday night, girlfriend of the time went to bed and I stayed up to watch a bit tele that I'd taped, then the news came on and it was all over the pace. Woke the GF up to tell her and the next morning she thought it was a dream. Went to play 5-a-side with the plan being to stop out after and watch the Liverpool v Newcastle game but it was called off due to the death leaving many of us Newcastle fans miffed as we thought we had a damn good chance of winning.

culnara
31-10-2011, 02:18
Came Home after a night out, put on the TV and not long after there was the news flash
saying that Diana the Princess of wales had Died, Phoned My Mum n Dad cause they were
still up
I was never really into the royals, But I remember being saddened cause I did Like Diana, as did most of the country

Such a shame :cry:

80sChav
09-11-2011, 21:24
Yeah 14 year's since when I found out that Sunday Morning was a mega mega massive shock. I remember going to the Coast the day (the Monday) after and all the Radio Stations (what could be picked up anyway!) were playing sad sad song's and it was all very very sombe obviously, Very sad - still seem's like Yesterday.

PxlBld
10-11-2011, 13:15
I remember sitting on my bed drawing and stuff, when I heard on the radio that she had been in a car crash and Dodi was dead - if I remember correctly early reports were that she was only slightly injured. Next morning my sister woke me up to tell me she had died. To be honest, although it was sad someone had died, I wasnt that bothered. Its only with maturing and hindsight of her humanitarian work that I realise it was a great loss.

culnara
11-11-2011, 10:59
You've just jogged my memory PxlBld, Yes you are right, it was Dodi that died straight off
and Diana was badly injured

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL1IJ-17H08

Trickyvee
11-11-2011, 12:25
I must admit that although it was a shock, I wasn't really bothered either. I was staying for a few days with a hoity toity aunt (against my will) at the time of the funeral. My aunt always was a difficult woman and I was deliberately rebelling. She simply loved the royals and all things posh and la di da (think Hyacinth Bouquet). The polar opposite of me, so she nearly burst a blood vessel when I refused to watch the funeral and said I couldn't care less.

onthebusesfan
01-01-2013, 19:16
Imo i think The queen killed princess di funny how the guard surived though how strange i still miss diana:(

battyrat
17-05-2014, 18:23
I had a day off as did my ex wife. I can remember buying some cigs in a local shop and hearing people talk about the event. I thought at first they were joking around. It wasn't till I got home and turned on the telly we realized it had actually happened and Diana was indeed dead. We later went up a mates and during a conversation mentioned the fact. Likewise he did not believe us either. We seemed to spend the best part of the day in his house watching the news reports with him and his wife before heading out for a heavy drinking session later in the evening. It did come as a bit of a shock but like most people we felt it more on the day Diana was buried mostly I feel to all the hype and news coverage of the events.

George 1978
29-10-2017, 09:07
I happened to be listening to Five Live on my clock radio, and so I was probably one of the first to hear the news. Mind you, I had previously been asleep as most other people would have been at that time, and so it would have taken a bit of time to digest and understand what was actually happening.

Twocky61
29-10-2017, 10:53
On that morning I had woken early & switched on the radio. I heard the news in shock; so I turned on the TV to see it

Moonraker
29-10-2017, 18:11
I was awoken by a phone call. It was a cousin of mine who said,
"have you heard about the death in the Royal Family?"
My first thought was the Queen mother, as she was nearing a century. Then I was told the shocking news.