The Unnamable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unnamable

Has anybody seen this 1988 horror movie? Years ago there was a huge video rental shop in my town and me and my friends loved looking through their huge wall of obscure horror titles. The usual stuff was there like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Elm Street, Leprechaun and The Howling films but this one - The Unnamable, is the one I always remember taking the most interest in. The plot begins in the 1800's where a lady gives birth to a creature which is so ugly they name it 'The Unnamable'. This monster then gets locked in an attic of an empty house. Fast forward to the present day (or 1988 to be precise!) and a group of students hear of the story and decide to investigate the house.

I watched this on BBC1 late Friday night a few years ago and while some parts of it did look a little dated I thought that overall it was a decent film, I think the monster is absolutely terrifying even to this day. The Unnamable did spawn a sequel but I hear it doesn't match up to the first offering. So has anybody seen this movie or perhaps anyone knows of another forgotten 70's/80's/90's horror title?

Re: The Unnamable

I haven't seen that one but the plot reminds me a little of another overlooked classic of 80s horror, The Kindred. I remember watching it at my mates house and unbeknown to me his cat had crawled onto the back of the sofa. With absolute perfect timing the damn cat swiped me on top of the head with its paw just as The Kindred creature was slithering a tentacle around someone in the film.....I jumped a mile which in turn made everyone else in the room almost have a coronary too
    I made him put the cat outside for the remainder of the film.

I used to love choosing films from the video shop especially when it led to discovering an unknown classic by pure chance.

Comment

Originally posted by RiJoJo View Post
      I haven't seen that one but the plot reminds me a little of another overlooked classic of 80s horror, The Kindred. I remember watching it at my mates house and unbeknown to me his cat had crawled onto the back of the sofa. With absolute perfect timing the damn cat swiped me on top of the head with its paw just as The Kindred creature was slithering a tentacle around someone in the film.....I jumped a mile which in turn made everyone else in the room almost have a coronary too

I used to love choosing films from the video shop especially when it led to discovering an unknown classic by pure chance.
      Omg I laughed so hard at this post. My stomach still hurts. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RiJoJo View Post

Ha ha. Had a similar experience when me and my mate went to see Jaws. My mate turned around to see what time it was (old style 2 screen cinema with visible clock) and as he turned back to face the screen, the head in the boat popped out. He jumped out of his skin sending the box of maltesers on his lap up into the air. You could hear them rolling around for quite a while afterwards.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

somebodys put the whole film on youtube LOL
          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

You're right Culnara, there's the very film on youtube! When I have a bit more time I'll look forward to watching it through again and seeing if the monster is half as scary as I remember!

Comment

I see He's got quite a few others too

Featured Movies
              Dagon
              In the Mouth of Madness
              The Dunwich Horror
              Die Monster Die
              From Beyond(part 6 deleted by youtube)
              Event Horizon(deleted by youtube)
              Castle Freak
              Lurking Fear
              The Fog
              Cast a Deadly Spell
              The Unnamable
              The Unnamable II
              The Ressurected
              The Thing
              Beyond the Wall of Sleep
              Necronomicon
              Call of Cthulhu
              Re-Animator
              Bride of Re-Animator(deleted by youtube) Age: 17

DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                Ha ha. Had a similar experience when me and my mate went to see Jaws. My mate turned around to see what time it was (old style 2 screen cinema with visible clock) and as he turned back to face the screen, the head in the boat popped out. He jumped out of his skin sending the box of maltesers on his lap up into the air. You could hear them rolling around for quite a while afterwards.
                Thanks Branny for the best laugh I've had in ages! I can just imagine it, and I'm still giggling writing this!
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                X