Bad Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Skin

I remember in 1970's at school all the kids seemed to have skin conditions.

You were like in a queue and the one in front of you had festering pimples on the back of their neck - you'd turn round to talk to your mate and his mouth was all twisted with a big gum-boil.

Kids would take off their shoes for PE and shiny black soles on their socks with rancid fungus covered toes poking through.

You look at schoolkids now and they gleaming with health and good tones so it must have been a diet of pure sugar and a regime of a bath when you really, really stank that caused the bad skin stuff

Re: Bad Skin

my skin was nit to bad.
    got a bit of acne but mot to severe.
    must have been diet and other reasons why people got it worse than others.
    i remember kids picking them and that makes them spread.
    and puss comes out.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I didn't get too many spots, mainly because me mum got me some face wash for it.

My brother also had some, but not before he was really spotty & me & my sister started calling him pizza face! St started from the time my sister (7 years younger than me) drew a picture of my brother with a circular head & lots of giant spots & he asked "why hsve I got a face like a pizza?".

Even the boy next door asked if he had chicken pox when they were really red.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I didn't get too many spots, mainly because me mum got me some face wash for it.

My brother also had some, but not before he was really spotty & me & my sister started calling him pizza face! St started from the time my sister (7 years younger than me) drew a picture of my brother with a circular head & lots of giant spots & he asked "why hsve I got a face like a pizza?".

Even the boy next door asked if he had chicken pox when they were really red.
        pizza face.
        poor fella.
        cool story.

Comment

Danny, I roared laughing at your post. Yeah there were lots of spotty individuals around back in the day. Probably the shortage of cash meant there wasn't any decent face washes or medicated creams bought by many parents. I've an memory of a girl in my sister's class walking beside me this one time and I noticed an enormous festering green boil on the side of her neck...gross. Don't know why she didn't pop it. That's about 20yrs ago and the image is imprinted on my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
            Danny, I roared laughing at your post. Yeah there were lots of spotty individuals around back in the day. Probably the shortage of cash meant there wasn't any decent face washes or medicated creams bought by many parents. I've an memory of a girl in my sister's class walking beside me this one time and I noticed an enormous festering green boil on the side of her neck...gross. Don't know why she didn't pop it. That's about 20yrs ago and the image is imprinted on my mind.
            Popping spots was fun especially when you got a big one like that and you could splatter the mirror, poor girl she doesn't know what she missed
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
              amazing what sticks in peoples minds ann.
              20 yrs later and u can still picture it.
              it must have bee a sight

maybe she thought its to gross to burst.

Comment

I was one of the unlucky ones. Escaped with the usual minor pimples up until the age of about 16 and then WHAM! Acne central, and I still get them at 34! . It's all hormones with me. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. Antibiotics, horrible smelling ointments, you name it. Only thing that ever worked was going on a contraceptive pill that had a special hormone blocker, but I couldn't be on it forever.

So have a heart for the spotties! Don't worry, I've come to terms with mine so no offence taken .
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  I was one of the unlucky ones. Escaped with the usual minor pimples up until the age of about 16 and then WHAM! Acne central, and I still get them at 34! . It's all hormones with me. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. Antibiotics, horrible smelling ointments, you name it. Only thing that ever worked was going on a contraceptive pill that had a special hormone blocker, but I couldn't be on it forever.

So have a heart for the spotties! Don't worry, I've come to terms with mine so no offence taken .

yes some people just break out violently with them and with no warning mate.

people must have thought with all the different smelling things you tried to get rid of them you had lots of different perfumes to wear.he he
                  yes i bet that contaceptive pill was very strong and taken to often it could do damage.

Comment

My mother was always banging on about how I must be dirty, as I started with blackheads when I was about eight or nine. Trouble is, to "get rid of them," I started squeezing them, resulting in huge scabs, which made her go on and on (and on...) even more. Dad bought me a little bottle of Topex and told me "not to tell your mother," so I hid it underneath the bars of my xylophone . She must've known I was hiding something, cos one day, I came home from school to be confronted by my mother with the Topex, so now, not only was I "dirty," but also deceitful...
                    Just amazed my skin's not too bad, considering... if it wasn't the spots, it was the Topex burning the top layer of my skin off

Comment

dirty and deceitful what a bad kid u where.hehe.

i got spots but not that bad luckily.
                      and of course i squeezed them hard not to as they where very itchy.
                      my older brother really hot them very bad.
                      his whole face was like a giant spot.

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
                      My mother was always banging on about how I must be dirty, as I started with blackheads when I was about eight or nine. Trouble is, to "get rid of them," I started squeezing them, resulting in huge scabs, which made her go on and on (and on...) even more. Dad bought me a little bottle of Topex and told me "not to tell your mother," so I hid it underneath the bars of my xylophone . She must've known I was hiding something, cos one day, I came home from school to be confronted by my mother with the Topex, so now, not only was I "dirty," but also deceitful...
                      Just amazed my skin's not too bad, considering... if it wasn't the spots, it was the Topex burning the top layer of my skin off

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        yes some people just break out violently with them and with no warning mate.

people must have thought with all the different smelling things you tried to get rid of them you had lots of different perfumes to wear.he he
                        yes i bet that contaceptive pill was very strong and taken to often it could do damage.
                        Urgh some of them stank. There was one from the doctors that was just like a roll on deodorant with a ball in the end that I had to roll over my face and it was so strong it made my eyes water. I even went to see a dermatologist at one point but he was going to put me on this super strong stuff that could cause all manner of nasty side effects so I declined. My zits aren't as bad now as they were in my teens but I have a bit of scarring from the worst of it. Still, there are worse things to have.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Me & my brother were prescribed some capsules & some the chemical smelling face wah.

I didn't have problems with acne but my brother did & was sometimes nicknamed pizza face.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

there are worse things to have but when u are at school and u get your skin covered in spots it was a major issue and u think it was the end of the world.
                            its quite shocking just how bad they can get.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            Urgh some of them stank. There was one from the doctors that was just like a roll on deodorant with a ball in the end that I had to roll over my face and it was so strong it made my eyes water. I even went to see a dermatologist at one point but he was going to put me on this super strong stuff that could cause all manner of nasty side effects so I declined. My zits aren't as bad now as they were in my teens but I have a bit of scarring from the worst of it. Still, there are worse things to have.

Comment

I remember some stuff that came out in the late 80s\early 90s,
                              It was spot cream, but in flesh tone,
                              It didn't really have the desired effect, people (girls in particular) used to ask me if I was wearing foundation.
                              Not a smooth look for a schoolkid.
                              As far as I can remember it didn't really work (just like all spot remedies).
                              Wish I could remember what it was called, it could have been an Oxy product.
                              Anybody remember ?

Comment

Working...
                              X