Sea Battle Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Battle Game

Does anyone remember the name of a board game a bit like Battleships which had a huge hollow plastic board representing the sea. You had to set up your ships and you and your opponent had to turn two knobs that moved a lightbulb under the board. When you thought you'd got the correct place you pressed your "fire" button and if you were lucky the light would go on under your enemy's ship. I'm trying to get one for my brother. He had it when he was little, and wants it again.They also did a Star Wars version.
    Thanks
    ^..^

Re: Sea Battle Game

How long ago??
    I only found a Star wars battleships

Comment

Wow, that looks a good game.
      Anyway, I'm thinking that the sea game came first, so pre '77. The Star Wars version might have been a cash in ploy, and as far as I was concerned, it worked.
      Another bit I just remembered is that you had a plastic ruler thing that you used to work out how far to turn those knobs. One was for vertical movement and one was for horizontal. None of the board was behind a screen or anything.
      ^..^

Comment

It was called Salvo. Phew. Got there at last, and thanks for your input
        ^..^

Comment

Salvo by Palitoy.

Last edited by Heather74; 02-12-2008, 00:56.
          Heather

Comment

I had a similar game that used aircraft. There was a knob and slider arrangement that positioned a light under the board. The object was to cross the board to bomb a target at the far end, moving a set number of spaces each turn. There were a series of missile launcher sites placed on the board through which you had to avoid. Once moved your opponent had two chances to try and find you, by placing his red aircraft counter over your assumed position and pressing a button. If they were correct the aircraft would light up, and there would be an explosion sound.

I can't remember what it was called.

Comment

Good old Salvo. But it's just under £70 on ebay. Typical.
              I didn't know they'd made an aircraft version. Looks like it was a popular idea, eh?
              ^..^

Comment

Bloody Hell..Forgotten that one! Not seen it in years

Comment

The aircraft version was entitled Electronic Intercept.

It wasn't that electronic, really. When turned on it beeped sporadically, and made some other noises when the two buttons were pressed. The red plastic attack aircraft was described as follows: "This Special Aircraft, when placed on Target, ELECTRONICALLY locks on to the Attack Jet. It will program your rocket Fire and score a direct hit as the Attack Jet flares up on the tracking grid." In reality it just had a magnet on its base, and the light under the board had a magnetic reed switch which detected the presence of the magnet. Bit of a swizz, then!

Comment

Wow. They make it sound very exciting. I bet they used it to train fighter pilots. My brother would have LOVED it. Thanks for the info.
                    ^..^

Comment

Woohoo!!!!!!!!! I just bought Salvo for £25 on Ebay.
                      ^..^

Comment

result!! Sounds like a bargain. I notice that all the 'better' 70's games go for serious money.

Although, I got a mint Escape from Colditz for £22 (I have my original board, pieces & cards, but box has perished :cry...next I'm after 'Treasure of the Pharaohs'
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Treasure of the Pharoahs? I've got that. I don't know why it wasn't more popular
                          ^..^

Comment

Hi I have bought a salvo from a charity shop for £2.00 does anyone know what the specification of the bulb - my set does not have one.

David

Comment

Working...
                            X