Early 70's Horror film name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 70's Horror film name?

This horror film was distributed between 1970-73 (probably 1971). The central character was a man who converted into some kind of human monster/villian or homicidal maniac between the hours of 2 and 3 AM. I remember one victim was placed in a spiked coffin, which when discovered, opened to a man with a red hole in his forhead. That's all I can remember. I was very young at the time. Can anyone name it? Thanks!

Re: Early 70's Horror film name?

Could be any 70's Hammer Horror with that description:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
      Yes, I've been searching those without success, but I may have missed it. I seem to recall now that his face was scarred, and or cut and bloody when he converted and he hid himself behind a cloth and hat if I remember correctly.

Comment

Anything else? Uk actors or US?

Comment

I saw it as a US release seen on a military compound in South Korea when I was about 9, between Dec 1971 and Dec 1973. There was a lag of a few months to get these films to the base from the states. I can't remember the actors. Too young, I guess. I do remember how anxious the lead character got as the 2am hour approached.

Comment

My first leaning would be British actors since the movie reminds me of Hammer Horror films. I don't remember the trademark Hammer female component of the movie, but maybe that was because I was too yound and innocent, hahah!

Comment

The key that differentiates it from other Hammer movies is that EVERY time the clock struck 2 AM he would convert into the cursed condition for exactly one hour. Something happened to his skin making him look monstrous. I think it was bloody and dark colored, maybe scared. I seem to recall he covered his face with a scarf and hat to hide it, his eyes peering out from between them, the scarred/bleeeding skin only hinted at.

Comment

FOUND Re: Early 70's Horror film name?

The movie was accurately identified as "Baron Blood" (1972) by a YouTuber having an archive of 70's trailers. Some of my remembered details were wrong, but this is definitely the movie, complete with spiked coffin, hat, cape and rotting flesh. The trailer suggests the character Peter dabbled in the occult to resurrect the Baron, who rose to kill between the hours of 2 and 3 AM. Thanks for trying.

Comment

I rented the movie and was amazed at how my childhood memory deviated so far from the actual movie. Seems the baron had no mask, and there was no haunting between only the hours of 2 and 3 am. But he did rise from the dead at midnight, and the castle clock bonged twice to signify the hour he was burned and crushed to death for his crimes back in the 16th century. Here is the plot with spoilers from imbd.com:

"Baron von Kleist is remembered as a libertine, a cruel tyrant, and a sadist. He is reputed to have tortured and killed for his own pleasure and satisfaction. When he was put to death for his crimes, he saw to it that a spell was written to summon his soul from Hades, knowing that someday a descendant of his would foolishly read it. When this happened, in the early 70s, von Kleist found at first that his spirit inhabited a grotesquely rotten corpse, and he had to seek blood in order to rejuvenate himself. This didn't worry him much, and he went about it with gusto. As the police began to find the bodies, he concocted a plan to regain his birthright - the castle von Kleist, now being renovated and turned into a tourist hotel..."

Comment

Working...
                  X