Jeremy Brett, sherlock and Bending the Willow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Brett, sherlock and Bending the Willow

Jeremy Brett was the iconic Sherlock in the long-running Grenada series which ended in the early 90's with Brett's untimely death.

The series has been re-issued with all of the DVD's in a re-mastered format. I got it from CostCo at about $130+ for 21 DVD's.

There was an excellent book, "Bending The Willow" by Davies about Brett's playing Sherlock. The book has long been out of print, and copies are very expensive. However, Ash Tree Press, the publishers are going to re-issue it this year!

Just a heads-up for interested parties.

Re: Jeremy Brett, sherlock and Bending the Willow

Originally posted by jkaands View Post
    Jeremy Brett was the iconic Sherlock in the long-running Grenada series which ended in the early 90's with Brett's untimely death.

The series has been re-issued with all of the DVD's in a re-mastered format. I got it from CostCo at about $130+ for 21 DVD's.

There was an excellent book, "Bending The Willow" by Davies about Brett's playing Sherlock. The book has long been out of print, and copies are very expensive. However, Ash Tree Press, the publishers are going to re-issue it this year!

Just a heads-up for interested parties.

AbeBooks: Search Results - bending the willow

I always found Jeremy Brett's interpretation as very effeminate, which is why it is probably my least favourite Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
      AbeBooks: Search Results - bending the willow

I always found Jeremy Brett's interpretation as very effeminate, which is why it is probably my least favourite Holmes.
      In-teresting, my dear Watson.

I think that he was epicene, sexless. That is certainly as Doyle created and described him. i didn't think Bret';s interpretation at all effeminate, but it's subjective, to be sure.

I am now watching all of the episodes and comparing them with The Canon, which I have in the Annotated Holmes form; the latter episodes are certainly very loose interpretations, very Victorian Baroque in tone. This style suits one tale very well, the (so-called) Master Blackmailer. I found The Last Vampyre to be tedious and overdrawn. Am watching The (so-called)_ Eligible Batchelor now (aka NOble B. in The Canon).

Comment

Understood but not necessarily agree. My "best" Holmes was Basil Rathbone I think.

Comment

I think Jeremy Brett was by far the best Holmes, although I appreciate the others as well - good news about 'Bending the Willow' though which has been far too expensive for years.

Comment

Re: Jeremy Brett, and The Four Oaks Mystery

If anyone is interested in the 1992 two-part ITV benefit telethon, "The Four Oaks Mystery" which featured 4 famous detectives solving parts of the same mystery overin two centuries---being released on DVD, you can email ITV at:

viewerservices at itv.com

Here's something from a blog about the show:

"Sherlock Holmes teams up with Van Der Valk, Taggart and Wexford to solve a special murder mystery written by Alan Plater for the 1992 ITV Telethon. (The Four Oaks Mystery).

ITV's top detectives join forces for the first time in a bid to keep viewers tuned to the Telethon marathon. Sherlock Holmes teams up with Van Der Valk, Taggart and Wexford in The Detectives to solve a murder mystery - though none of them actually meet up on screen during the four-part special going out over two nights (Saturday,7pm, 9.30pm; Sunday, 7pm, 9pm)."

They wrote me that they had no plans to release it on DVD, but if enough interested people email them, they may change their corporate minds.

I said in my email that the characters remained very popular now and that I thought that the DVD would be well received.

Comment

There is an element of high ham with Jeremy Brett, but I think he will always be my favourite Holmes, and those series my favourite adaptations.
              They were very well made and had the right gothic atmosphere (hope the DVDs scrub up well).
              I can't say I've analysed them closely, but I've read almost all the books and have no complaints.
              I've watched all the Basil Rathbone films at least twice, and I loved those aswell, although it's curious that they jump to the fourties. I know it was to encourage the war effort.
              I think there was just one Holmes book I missed, but not sure which one it was.

Comment

It's got to be Jeremy Brett. Not ham, but a genuine portrayal of an extreme personality. (In my opinion)

Basil Rathbone was too purely heroic, and lacked the depiction of Holmes's flaws. But great fun in his own way.

Sacha Baron Cohen as Holmes... I have a lot of doubts.
                Comedy Holmes's have not done well from Cook and Moore to Gene Wilder, though I did like the premise and character interplay between Michael Caine and Ben KIngsley in "Without a Clue."
                "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Working...
                X