Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oink!

Does anyone remember Oink! comic?

It was only published for a short time between 1986-1988 and was quite controversial at the time - lots of conservative groups found it offensive and managed to get it moved onto to the top shelves of newsagents! It was like a children's version of Viz and often satired current affairs or people in the public eye. One of the main characters was Uncle Pigg, who was the comic's editor and his storylines regularly featuring his clashes with critic Mary Lighthouse, who was a parody of Mary Whitehouse. Frank Sidebottom also had a regular strip.

Re: Oink!

Cant remember that one, used to enjoy Vis.
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Doesn't ring any bells here either...Viz though? Great stuff, esp the fake adverts, and the Letters Page
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Think I remember this but not sure. Rings a bell somewhere in my mind but I might be thinking of another one that came out the same time as Viz.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
          Doesn't ring any bells here either...Viz though? Great stuff, esp the fake adverts, and the Letters Page
          "By constructing a series of mirrors it is possible to watch tv from beneath your floorboards" ( Viz letters page about ten years ago)
          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

my fav Viz letter (not exact, edited from memory ) :

"Dear Editor.....the other day my lovely six yead old grandson said to me...'Grandad, you know when you plant your vegetable seeds they grow into vegetables, if we plant budgie seed will it grow into budgies?'.

I was just wondering if any other reader had such a stupid ffin grandson as mine?

Regards, A .Reader"

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I remember Oink very well
              A friend of my dads gave me a whole stack of 'em.
              Wasn't there a character called Burp the alien?
              I remember some very surreal stories, like a character travelling through Satan's bottom, and a fantasy voyage through the strange world of Michael Jackson. I remember some gift cards with the likes of The Subhuman Leage.
              It was pretty out there and I can see why it was controversial.
              There are a number of comics that tried to ape the success of Viz, but none survived, I don't think.
              Pssst, don't tell anyone, but I'll still sometimes grab a Viz when in the newsagent!

Comment

Working...
              X