raleigh burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raleigh burners

What a gr8 invention of the eighties, all us boys had one in my area and we`d discovered a new kind of freedom on 2 wheels.
    Belting across mud tracks, up and down grass banks, terrorizing the local park and even persuading the less assertive members of our gang to lie down while we bunny-hopped over them!! Ohh dear.
    A far cry from todays kids who all wear helmets and pads and have been deprived of the thrill of danger by the litigation nation, we now are..
    Anyway, I had the super tuff burner and it was the terriers tackle!!
    Which burner did you have?

A 2nd-hand high nelly on which I once went to a disco 10 miles away ; it was so wet that my clothes stood up of their own accord when I took them off ! She was worth it tho.
    Not wanting to be a prude, landsmith - it's a boys' thing to flirt with danger & there's worse than what you got up to - but I'll wrap my kids in cotton wool if it means ensuring their safety.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

hi, i had a 'night burner' what a cool bike. must say the super-tuff burners were good too, skyways mags were awesome. strange isn't it. my bike rotted away, soon as i got older, then i fell into mtb's, crossers, etc. i was one of those kids who has his fun, then it gets slung! kids really don't know the're born. and i was one of those toe-rags!

Comment

i had a few when i was younger; had the gold n black one which was by far the best! cant remember what hapened 2 it tho, then i bought an old jakey 1 from some1 at skool for a tenner i fixed it up n sprayed....those where the days

Comment

never had a raliegh burner but had a raglieh bomber,had it for years did lots of stupid stuff on it like,riding down slides,steps,over people,over pretty much anything that game really,cant remember what happend to it though.
          kernow bys vyken

Comment

Read this and rejoice. I had a Super Burner, Gold and black but without Skyways but I always wanted the Tuff Burner....so I bought myself one from ebay.
            Took it apart, repainted, restickered, polished and preened it and voila. I rode it to work all summer and can't wait to get on it again this year. My kids liked it so much I restored an Extra Burner for my 7year old daughter and a chrome Burner for my 6 year old son. They're officially the COOLEST kids on the block.

My Tuff Burner

Bella's Extra Burner (pic borrowed as bike is still being worked on)

GG's Chrome Burner (borrowed pic as no pics taken yet)

To see more old school Burners go to www.raleighburner.com or http://www.dtrcartwright.pwp.blueyon...Burner/mki.htm

Enjoy Burner fans!

Comment

I SOOOOO wanted an Extra Burner. Loved the paint scheme. Second hand bikes for me though, but a quick trip down the market saw me armed with red and white spray paint to do up my (non-Burner) bike with the same scheme.

Eventually got a second hand Burner though. The originals had real heavy frames and to get serious (bunny hop more than one daring mate), you needed a light bike.

Eventually worked my way up to a brilliant BMX, custom-made and light (even had these special pads with tiny writing on, because we were led to believe pads with big writing on weighed too much....gullible, eh), added to all the time. But I'd been at it so long, it hadn't hit me I was 15. I suddenly felt a bit old for it, and a need to start walking round the estate 'maturely', instead of ramping and hopping all over it on two weels. Ending up flogging it for £35. I WISH I could have it back now, just to see it again.

But yeah...that's a smart Extra Burner, mate.
              Last edited by Jamo; 09-02-2006, 16:58.

Comment

Well i have dug out the famous super tuff burner from my dads old garage and spent some time and money (care of ebay) restoring it. These are the results.
                Attached Files

Comment

Mark 1 - Super Tuff Burner

Hi There, I had a Mark 1 Super Tuff Burner. I am trying to locate either to restore or ready finished. Can anyone help?

Kenny

Comment

great bikes
                    i had the red/yellow burner for the smaller kids
                    Laugh and the world laughs with you, Sneeze and it's goodbye Seattle.

Comment

Re: raleigh burners

I had a Super Tuff Burner but a mate of mine reckons he had a BH Burner which was an immitation of the Raleigh Burner and cheaper made. Did a search and couldn`t find anything about the BH Burner.

Comment

Originally posted by Superkav View Post
                        Read this and rejoice. I had a Super Burner, Gold and black but without Skyways but I always wanted the Tuff Burner....so I bought myself one from ebay.
                        Took it apart, repainted, restickered, polished and preened it and voila. I rode it to work all summer and can't wait to get on it again this year. My kids liked it so much I restored an Extra Burner for my 7year old daughter and a chrome Burner for my 6 year old son. They're officially the COOLEST kids on the block.

My Tuff Burner

Bella's Extra Burner (pic borrowed as bike is still being worked on)

GG's Chrome Burner (borrowed pic as no pics taken yet)

To see more old school Burners go to www.raleighburner.com or http://www.dtrcartwright.pwp.blueyon...Burner/mki.htm

Enjoy Burner fans!

Whoo that brings back memories, I unfortunately was too big for a BMX when they were out, I had went from a Grifter to racer some time before this. I was really disappointed about been too big for a BMX. I have to say that the Grifter was way better than my racer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I had heard at the time when BMX's were out that if you had twisted one of the plastic rims that some of the burners had on, you could take them off and put them in the freezer so as to allow you to straightening them?
                        Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Had a black and gold super burner - was the best bike on our estate...

...seeing those pics above makes me want to get an old one and do it up...

...how much do they go for on ebay? and could you get the gold reapplied as mine peeled off after a couple of years...

Comment

Good old e bay , i saw a raleigh Rebel on there , a Rebel is a mark one burner with no welded in gusset and different decals and there are not many of them around any more , rare as hens teeth , bought it and stripped it and its now 90% rebuilt , not quite as standard but lovely and original , but about a month ago i saw a burner for sale on the bay so had to buy it , went from Guildford to Cornwall to collect it and it was and still is as it left the production line , in terms of items , it is very play worn and the pads are missing but it still has the original pedals , wheels , and tyres , its the same as the mag burner except the wheels are spoked , im 37 and ride it often , as i do with my vast collection of grifters

Comment

Awww, loved Raleigh Burners!!!

I only had a Blue and Yellow 'Mag Burner', with the 7 spoke mag wheels, but so wanted one with the 5 spoke skyway mags.

Mate of mine had a gold and black super tuff burner, and remember the ones with the oval section frames, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X