Sweet cigarettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet cigarettes

I can always remember buying sweet cigarettes with my pocket money, and then pretending to be all grown up like a lady and smoking, and then when i was all grown up i never did smoke a real cigarette, i guess you can say i gave up smoking with out even starting

Re: Sweet cigarettes

I smoked sweet cigarettes too, I can remember when I was about 10, overhearing an old woman say to her friend, look at that kid smoking. Made me smile
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

If these are the hard white candy ones then bought them a couple of times until somehow managed to put through my lip as would suck on them until u get a spiked end on them.

Comment

There were the Barrett's sweet cigarettes with the collectors cards in. My favourite was the Gerry Anderson's 'UFO' series.
        "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I remember the Barratt's ones dropping the pink ends in the mid 1980s to make them look less like cigarattes.

There were some more expensive ones that had crumbly chocolate wrapped in ricepaper, & the boxes were glossy card & celophane wrapped, making them even more cigarette like.

Here's a good site about sweet cigarettes, mostly American:

Candy Cigarettes: THE BIG CANDY SMOKIN' THUMB.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

And then there were the white candy-type ones that had a waxed paper coating that looked like a cigarette (even with the orange end). I think they were sold individually rather than in card boxes.
            "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I remember sweet cigarettes,and loving them.They tasted really nice and sweet.

Comment

I liked both the white ones and the chocolate ones.We used to by joke ones that puffed out talc! I never did take up smoking though.

tulip

Comment

I remember those joke ones with the talc and the red foil end. I thought they were really cool which is worrying. Still, apart from a very brief flirtation with the old cancer sticks at uni, I've never gone for it either.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

childhood memory -standing in the school playground at playtime in winter sticking candy cigarettes in my mouth and breathing out condensation steam to add to the im smoking a fag effect

Comment

We used to have them in Australia up until the early 90's. They were originally called "Fags" then changed to "Fads" because the politically-correct Nazis thought the former word was demeaning to gay people!

I used to buy them when I was a kid, then in my 20's took up the real thing until one of my girlfriends convinced me to quit the horrid habit in 2003 at the age of 32. Haven't been back to it since and glad I've kept up my resolve. :-)

Comment

reallly cant remember these at all.

they would never be allowed to be sold now.

funny though how HG said an old woman talking to her friend said look at that kid smoking.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

There were some more expensive ones that had crumbly chocolate wrapped in ricepaper, & the boxes were glossy card & celophane wrapped, making them even more cigarette like.
                          Our newsagents had those boxes of sweet cigarettes lined up at the front of the cabinet holding the pick n mix sweets. I wasn't allowed to buy them because they looked too much like the real thing. I did buy the little hard white ones though.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

We called them candy fags. I used to buy them quite a lot. Also used to buy the chocolate flavour fags that were wrapped in paper. They looked like rollies!
                            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

This is an interesting site of sweet cigarettes from around the world.

http://cardhouse.com/a/candy/bigthumb.htm
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X