"Commando" format spin-offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Commando" format spin-offs

I'm sure loads of people will remember the Commando comics. I had tons of them, and they came in a smallish, square format which was particular to them, as far as I know.
    But does anyone remember a run of sc-fi and footballing stories that came in the same size/style and, I've always assumed, were made by the same company.
    I always remember a sci-fi story where these young guys flew through the sky in sort of jump-suits with big flaps that opened up between their feet and wrists, making them into human gliders. I think they fought scaly lizard meen.
    And I'll never forget the footballing story "The Nearly Man", which was quite downbeat and moved me at the time.
    There may of been a second story where a cocky boxer gets lost in a clearing and has to fight this guy and draws/loses - only to find out the next day that no-body's there and the guy he fought was a long dead champ of yesteryear - so maybe this run wasn't just footy.

Re: "Commando" format spin-offs

I think the sci fi ones could be Starblazer also published by DC Thompson
    Starblazer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Could be HG. Of all the smaller types...'Commando', 'War', 'Battle', etc etc Commando is my fav...the front cover artwork & dagger badge were much more appealing than the others )

And Commando, launched 1961, is still in production today!!

This is one of my fav bookmarked sites:
      scroll down & check out that artwork
      British Picture Libraries

This quote tells us a lot FLash...
      "
      Pocket Libraries have been published since the 19th Century.
      They were generally condensed editions of weekly story papers.
      This site deals with British Picture Libraries since the late 1950's.
      British Picture Libraries: (and there were many publications), were around 7 inches in height and around 5 inches in width and contained around 60 plus pages.
      They were created for the older reader with such titles as:
      Air Ace Picture Library, Battle Picture Library, Combat Picture Library, Cowboy Picture Library, Eagle Picture Library, Lion Picture Library, Secret Agent Picture Library, Space Picture Library, Starblazer, Super Detective Picture Library, Thriller Picture Library, Valiant Picture Library, War Picture Library, War at Sea Picture Library, Wild West Picture Library etc…"

Lots of titles there, including Space Picture Library?
      Click on his highlighted link to see more titles, such as Gemini? eg here's issue no.8, from 1966

For sports, Tiger Sports Library? Here's issue no 3, from 1962 (so ties in perfectly with Commando 1961)

I love me comics, as you might guess!

Dave
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
        ...the front cover artwork & dagger badge were much more appealing than the others

And Commando, launched 1961, is still in production today!!

I love me comics, as you might guess!

Dave
        Dave, have you encountered the book:

The tale of someone who grew up in era the Airfix kit Stukas, toy soldiers and "Gott in Himmel!", and has stayed a wargames "aficionado" (shall we say?) while maintaining just enough detachment to write about it with an observer's eye.
        Achtung Schweinehund: A Boy's Own Story of…Amazon.co.uk: Harry Pearson: Books
        "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

yes emmetman....I borrowed a mate's copy...great stuff!

There are some great 'top 10 story' compilations for Commando, Battle etc on the likes of Amazon.

I recently bought one of the 'Charley's War' volumes(from Battle comic...a marvellous strip, accurate script & incredible artwork)

I also have 'The Dangerous Book for Boys', 'Boys Toys' and Robert Opie's 'The 1970's Scrapbook'.....the latter especially is a treasure trove of images
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
            I think the sci fi ones could be Starblazer also published by DC Thompson
            Starblazer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            I think those were the ones - drools over the covers. God, they look good!
            I know there's been a re-release book of old Commandos, so when do we get Starblaser?
            Oh, btw,
            It was Football picture story monthly, that must of featured The Nearly Man.
            Thanks for all the links, fellas. I love classic comics.

Comment

Dave

That is a fantastic site brought back some memories will no doubt spend a good few hours on there.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by weetoon View Post
                Dave

That is a fantastic site brought back some memories will no doubt spend a good few hours on there.

Thanks.
                You're welcome......'tis a beauty that site
                sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

As rossobantam says, Commando is still going. There is also an official website with a cover gallery (Fairly new, so it still only has the first few years), online versions of classic Commando issues, wallpapers, features and the like.

Commando Magazine : For Action and Adventure - A Great British Comic

Comment

the BPL link I included above has a photo/description for EVERY Commando produced, back to it's start in 1961
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

One day I will find "The Nearly Man":cry:

Comment

The Nearly Man, FPSM issue 5, August 1986:

Football Picture Story Monthly 1986 - 1988

one on ebay right now (no photo, but says issue 5, & seller has 100% feedback):

Football picture story monthly magazine No 5 on eBay, also Football, Sports, Magazines, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 02-Apr-09 23:45:44 BST)

Dave
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                          The Nearly Man, FPSM issue 5, August 1986:

Football Picture Story Monthly 1986 - 1988

one on ebay right now (no photo, but says issue 5, & seller has 100% feedback):

Football picture story monthly magazine No 5 on eBay, also Football, Sports, Magazines, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 02-Apr-09 23:45:44 BST)

Dave
                          Your knowledge is second to none.

Did not know about the football books probably just as well as I would have bought them at the time and be annoyed now that I had not kept them.

Comment

Whoa. There it is, and with many other familliar faces! Thanks lads

Comment

I know I had DeathMatch and TerrorCity aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X