card collecting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• card collecting?

who else did this? I had the complete Batman, Thunderbirds and Ninja Turtles. Threw them all away though.

Re: card collecting?

I was always more of a sticker album collector myself but there were a few cards I did collect, don't think I ever completed any sets though. I remember collecting Bill and Ted cards, Flinstones Movie Cards (awful film, don't know why I collected these), and WWF cards from 1990/91. I actually had quite a few of the WWF cards but binned them all many years back, really regret it now. I also remember buying a complete box of premiership football cards (still sealed) from poundland when I was a kid, each packet was also individually sealed inside the box. While it sounds like a bargain you have to keep in mind that they were from around the 1990/91 season and I didn't know who half the players actually were!

A good few years back there was a small shop in my town that sold all bits and pieces, one weekend they put out this huge basket full of packets of trading cards. The thing was massive and had cards from the late 80's through to the mid 90's, they were really cheap and were selling so many packets for about £1. I took a load of old World Championship Wrestling cards from around 1990, was really strange opening up cards which were a good few years old. I learned my lesson and kept hold of these ones!

Comment

I did Star Wars and Superman - long gone. In a way the best bit was being able to still smell the gum.

Comment

I still have all my football trading cards (70's) via the bubble gum wrappers...AB&C, Topps etc...plus my footy sticker albums...FKS, Panini

I add to it as & when (prices for unopened sticker packets eg World Cup 1970 are crazy ...£50+ per packet! )
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

My brother used to collect the football ones for a few years, but the only series he finished was the Italia 90 which was a bindermag as well as a sticker collection.

I tried Football 87 but found it needed a lot of money to do it, even when swapping the duplicates. I found some unstuck ones when I was clearing my room a few years ago.

Other series I tried were Back To The Future & The Beano - Dandy 50th series, I gave up the latter when I purchased 2 packs which each had the same stickers in.

The Observer reprinted some of the World Cup collections a few years ago.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to collect the American Civil War cards in the late 60's - some of them were quite graphic! We used to use our swaps clipped to the bar on our bikes with a clothes peg so that they stuck into the spokes. When you rode along they made a noise like a motorbike (well, we thought so).

Comment

Did Planet of the apes, Star wars and superman. The sticker albums seemed to become more prevalent after that. I remember collecting the Hulk one and filling it. Had a 1976 panini football one. I think it was for the Euro championships. The players played for obscure teams i'd never heard of like Stal-ma-leg. Last ones i collected were a merlin rugby league cards collection from the early 90's. Still got em in the loft.

My dad had some football cards the came in a wallet from late 60's, early 70's which is odd because he was never really into football.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My Brother collected the Panini football ones for a few years in the 1980s-90s. The only one he completed was an Italia 90 combined bindermag & sticker collection.

I tried a bit with the football ones & also had a go at Back To The Future, & Garbage Pail Kids.

The last one was a Beano set, which I gave up on after I got 2 packs from the same shop & found they both contained the same cards (so much for their claim that they were randomly packaged & printed in equal numbers!).
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I also actively collect the TOPPS bubblegum football trading cards. My origionals were all damaged and creased etc, so I am slowly replacing them with decent ones. On a certain auction site individual cards start at 99p per card. Just recently a full set of mid 1970's cards went for over £400. I am currently collecting the blue/grey , orange/white and red/black. 1975 - 1977.If anyone is getting rid of any footie cards , PM me , I may be interested.

Comment

i used to collect all the panini ones.
                    the football ones that came out every year.

dont know how panini kept track of each clubs and its new players.

wish id kept mine.
                    had loads of those footie sticker albums.

only cards i have now are the masters of the universe ones.

the mattel cards.
                    the cards where released again after the mattel ones.
                    but the mattel ones are worth more.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As i was a child of the 60s i collected the A&BC gum cards.I have all the civil war news plus the confederate dollar bills you got with the stick of gum and a card.I also have some of the small tin badges...Batman and the Monkees. I was really lucky in the Summer and picked up a set of topps Mars Attacks cards plus 17 spares in nice condition from my local Car Boot,they are the originals from 1965 and cost £1.00.

Comment

That's a good haul on original Mars Attacks cards, I'm jealous!

I used to get You'll Die Laughing/Creature Feature cards back in the day and when the first Star Wars cards (the red and then blue borders) came out there was a mini craze that ran through the school. I also had a mate who wallpapered his bedroom in Superman The Movie bubblegum cards.

I pick up a few now and again. Got a set of Topps' Dinosaurs Attack! last year. Gruesome but hillarious!

Comment

My father in law went in tesco around oct/nov and was given a carrier bag full of packets of football cards which he gave my son.But they were from the summer collection not the 2010-2011.I think there was over 130 unopened packets proberbly more.The card fronts are identical to the new ones but the backs were red not the current green.My son was going to sell them but they are not worth as much as he thought.
                          sigpic

Comment

The only collection I managed to finish was the first Smash Hits collection of pop stars. There were other people at school collecting them as well so it was easy to swap unwanted ones. Then when you get to the final five or so you could send off a postal order and they would send them to you. It must have been about 1984 some time.

A year or so later they did another but I was getting too old by then.

Comment

i used to collect civil war mars attack outer limits and every football card going

Comment

Working...
                              X