Your Comic Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Comic Collection

Did you ever have, or do you still have, a comic colllection?
    Fight your way past the missis, and be proud!
    List your most favourites here!

Re: Your Comic Collection

Never really collected a great deal but there was a fantastic series of X-Men comics I collected back in high school called X-Men The Age of Apocalypse. Every month I would run down to my local newsagents to get the latest copy, it was a fantastic series which lasted about 7-8 issues. From what I remember it was set in an alternate dimension and the overall tone of the story was very dark, there was an all-new X-men group as some of the originals remained, some had become villains and others were dead. I can't possibly describe the full story here or the scale of it but it was such a fantastic storyline which had me gripped and desperate to find out what happened next!

These days I keep an eye out for any Batman graphic novels, I have the likes of The Long Halloween, Year One, Hush, The Killing Joke and the new Joker title which is absolutely fantastic. With the movie coming out I treated myself to a copy of Watchmen which is fantastic and which I honestly could not put down!

Comment

FG, I started out with Shiver & Shake in 1973 IIRC, aged 7

But then 'Battle' came out, March 1975, and that was that.....I got every issue until June 1982, at which time I was doing my O-levels, oh and I was finding girls 'interesting'

I also picked up the odd Warlord & Victor along the way, but Battle was my no.1

I still have all my Battles, but many are scribbled in, and have cut-outs removed:cry:...but thanks to ebay I'm getting a collection of 'good-to-mint' to go alongside them

I still have lots of annuals, Battle, Victor, Warlord etc, also Knockout, Whizzer & Chips etc.

One aspect I really loved were the comics' 'Summer Specials' ...for some reason they hold special appeal

Dave
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

only thing I really collected was 2000ad, started back in 1977 and had every single prog up untill about the age of 16 (1986) missed it out for a couple of years (during this time I discovered my father had thrown over half of them away prog 1 - 279 gone to the great landfill site :cry: I managed to gather the remaining progs and put them in a safe place) went back to it again till I was 30/31 lost intrest in it because the new characters weren't grabbing me, I still have them up in the attic all wrapped up in black bags along with quite a lot of 2000ad monthly's / megazines
        last year I....ermm.....got hold of progs 1 - 1536 in digital format from the internet,
        2000ad are still going strong and are currently up to prog 1623 now

only other thing I would have collected if I had money at the time were Tales of Suspense, Amazing Adventures, Strange worlds etc,etc (marvel books think) I see them on ebay but they aint cheap
        DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
          FG, I started out with Shiver & Shake in 1973 IIRC, aged 7

But then 'Battle' came out, March 1975, and that was that.....I got every issue until June 1982, at which time I was doing my O-levels, oh and I was finding girls 'interesting'

I also picked up the odd Warlord & Victor along the way, but Battle was my no.1

I still have all my Battles, but many are scribbled in, and have cut-outs removed:cry:...but thanks to ebay I'm getting a collection of 'good-to-mint' to go alongside them

I still have lots of annuals, Battle, Victor, Warlord etc, also Knockout, Whizzer & Chips etc.

One aspect I really loved were the comics' 'Summer Specials' ...for some reason they hold special appeal

Dave
          My god, it's so similar to mine I thought i'd already posted.

My dad used to get me 2 every week when i was 5 or 6 called Look and Learn and Now I know. One of them had Brer rabbit stories in which he used to read to me at bedtime. After that it was super heroes. I used to get a DC or Marvel comic every week. I built up quite a collection but ended up giving it away when i was about 14.

A neighbour bought me a shiver and shake annual for christmas 74 and i was hooked. I used to get Beezer as well and loved the summer specials. Used to get them when we went on holiday for the week.

I used to buy war comics like Warlord and Battle usually when they had freebies in. i remember collecting a medal chart and medals that came in warlord and one of them had a ring with interchangeable labels that i thought was really grown up at the time.

At around 9 i'd moved on to Look in and when Star wars came out i used to get Star wars weekly. Went rapidly downhill after that with Smash hits and Disco 45.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Never a great collector as opposed to reader, my early Victors (best) Valiants and Hotspurs vanished when tatty.
            Alf Tupper, Braddock of Bombers, Morgan the Mighty and all...
            Also a hardback volume of "Battler" Britain, at some point.

Some reconstituting of lost memories has occured, with interesting effects. (Not least finding out how many heroic and glorious liberties the Victor often took with its true war stories on the front and back cover.)

So, mainly materials re-gathered into graphic novels, rather than ancient original magazines. Even so. a few less usual ones:
            "Fraser of Africa" from the Eagle.
            "Tales of the Trigan Empire" (the best thing in "Look and Learn") by a mile.

From my university days, a good selection of Judge Dredd.
            I did not have a crush of Judge Anderson, I did not have a crush on Judge Anderson...
            But Bolland, Bolland was *the* Dredd artist as far as I was concerned.

Later still: Gaiman's Sandman Series, plus a few associated, spreading out from there.
            "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Hi fellas
              I also used to have some judge dredd. Not many, but they were really good. Didn't the writer have Clint Eastwood in mind? (Not Sly, although I've heard they're doing a new one? Film.)

I had a sizable collection once, but I thought I was too mature for comics and sold them.
              (This was pretty dumb as I am now less mature than I was then.)

I remember having a load of Punishers - which is now a third film (War Zone). And Daredevils - brilliant.

Thirty or fourty Commandoes.

I sold them to the bloke across the street. He made the papers - don't ask me why

Comment

Anyway,
                I still have a small collection in a desk draw.
                Alan Moore: Watchmen, V, Miricleman, Captain Britain (GN)
                Gaiman: Sandmans (2)
                Knightfall - great Batman two-parter

And Ive also got a stack of original "Twisted Tales".

Comment

Used to have lots of Whizzer and Chips and Cor,would like to read one again just out of curiosity,still get Viz now and again
                  "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
                    Hi fellas
                    I also used to have some judge dredd. Not many, but they were really good. Didn't the writer have Clint Eastwood in mind?
                    There was a 'Clint Eastwood' character in Battle....Major Eazy
                    MajorEazy

Although he's also compared to James Coburn in that great war film 'Cross of Iron'..remember that?
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

'Kung Fu Monthly' and 'Combat' magazines in the 70's.

'OOr Wullie' and ' The Broons' each alternating every Christmastime.

Do you get 'OOr Wullie and Broons' in you neck of the woods anyone???
                      sigpicAndyGranda

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                        only thing I really collected was 2000ad
                        It's funny, I started reading 2000AD when it came out and then switched to Tornado. When 2000AD merged with Tornado, I thought they had bought out the comic and wouldn't buy 2000AD for ages in protest. Of course I eventually got over that, especially when Rogue Trooper started, and then Slaine kept me buying it into the early 90s.

Of the "funnies" comics, I liked Beano, didn't care too much for Dandy, but loved Cheeky for some reason. Especially the gloomy girl with the cloud constantly following her around raining on her head. Guess I was into goth chicks at an early age...

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
                        I had the graphic novel that collected all those. It was basically a retelling of the myths and history of the Roman Empire in space, wasn't it?
                        Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Emettman

I had the graphic novel that collected all those. It was basically a retelling of the myths and history of the Roman Empire in space, wasn't it?
                          A lot borrowed from Greek and Roman myth and history, with technology tacked on. One of the better Sword and Spaceship fantasies, with superb artwork.
                          Unfortunately both the hardback books offered only edited-down versions of some of the stories. It was a massive series. More recently a good number have been republished in limited editions with high price tags.
                          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

used to get the Beano religeously I remember the day when I got a load of classic annuals at the WI. Also got Whizzer and Chips, and Topper (not from the the WI, from releys.)
                            Loved OOR Willie.

Comment

Lovely to be reminded about 'Shiver & Shake' and 'Cheeky', which I'd completely forgotten.

When I was very young, I collected 'Pippin'. Then through the seventies, it was 'Look-In', which I suppose is not strictly speaking a comic. I think I must have had pretty much every issue from that decade but they were dumped in a big clear-out in about 1980. Terrible shame.

My brother collected a football comic - (or once again, was it a magazine?) - called 'Goal'.

Comment

Working...
                              X