The ASSOCIATES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ASSOCIATES

Anyone know what The Associates song 'Party Fears two' was about??? Good tune though
    AndyGranda
    sigpicAndyGranda

Re: The ASSOCIATES

According to Songfacts its about alcoholism
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

fab song from a fab time :cry:
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

party fears two was a very slow burner for me. I didn't really like it in 82 because of Billy Mackenzies unique vocal. I bought the 12" 80s collections that came out recently and it was on one of those. Only then did i really come to appreciate what a track and what a talent. This has happened to me with a few other artists. In the early 80s I liked the mainstream poppy stuff like Madness, Duran Duran, Ultravox, OMD, Spandau ballet and Depeche Mode. In the late 80s i discovered the delights of Talking Heads and Grace Jones and even more recently (last couple of years), The Cult, Cocteau twins and Sisters of Mercy. Don't know how I missed em first time around.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
          party fears two was a very slow burner for me. I didn't really like it in 82 because of Billy Mackenzies unique vocal. I bought the 12" 80s collections that came out recently and it was on one of those. Only then did i really come to appreciate what a track and what a talent. This has happened to me with a few other artists. In the early 80s I liked the mainstream poppy stuff like Madness, Duran Duran, Ultravox, OMD, Spandau ballet and Depeche Mode. In the late 80s i discovered the delights of Talking Heads and Grace Jones and even more recently (last couple of years), The Cult, Cocteau twins and Sisters of Mercy. Don't know how I missed em first time around.
          I think that your right. Ihave been re-collecting all the songs I missed from the 70's/80's etc. Maybe you listen with a more mature understanding of what the songs are about. I love the oldies.
          sigpicAndyGranda

Comment

My mum worked as a cleaner at the studio they recorded that first album. The Associates were from Glasgow, and so was my mum, and they got gabbing for ages, apparently. She really liked him. He was a great guy, and the band was really cool, very unique sound. Such a shame he took his own life. He was only 39.
            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Billy McKenzie and The Associates are a brilliant band.

The song was written basically in the middle of a massive drug binge, that is why it is so cluttered and messy. Yet it works and is brilliant.

It is on of the greatest tragedies that Billy is no longer with us. There is a great biography on him that you can get on quite easily that tells his story. His loneliness and love of Whippets more than people. I simply love him and 'Beyond The Sun' by Billy McKenzie is simply astounding. Billy and piano based songs of love and heartache and life..... WOW!

Kevin xx

Comment

Have they moved Glasgow??
                The Associates were from Dundee

Comment

^ Well, Billy was, Alan is from Edinburgh

Comment

Apparently he killed himself because his mother died, what a shame, Club country was another fantastic single
                    You have to be joking me my bonny lad!!!!!
                    Divnae gan changin trying to please wa, i luv thos just the way thos is

Comment

Working...
                    X