Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about a Channel 4 film

Right, heres whats got me fuddled: -

Channel 4 set off in Nov 1982 and very soon after opening it showed "P'tang Yang Kipperbang" - also made in 1982 as a Channel 4 film

However a lot of the film was set in Summer so my query is ....

Was Channel 4 film productions up and running before Channel 4 itself came on the air? ( or is it possible that I once more have some incorrect facts and got the dates wrong?)
    Last edited by Danny; 06-03-2009, 16:13. Reason: spelling - like always

Re: Confused about a Channel 4 film

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Right, heres whats got me fuddled: -

Channel 4 set off in Nov 1982 and very soon after opening it showed "P'tang Yang Kipperbang" - also made in 1982 as a Channel 4 film

However a lot of the film was set in Summer so my query is ....

Was Channel 4 film productions up and running before Channel 4 itself came on the air? ( or is it possible that I once more have some incorrect facts and got the dates wrong?)
    Wouldn't surprise me. Channel 4 was actually running for quite a few months before it officially launched, but with nothing on it. About a month before the launch, it was broadcasting an almost continuous cycle of previews of what Channel 4 would be broadcasting, and P'Tang Yang Kipperbang was part of that, along with Countdown, Who Dares Wins, The Comic Strip Presents, Brookside. So there was quite a bit of content that had already been commissioned.

If you REALLY want to be taken back to October 1982, check this out...

Channel Four Test Card Music.
    Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
      Wouldn't surprise me. Channel 4 was actually running for quite a few months before it officially launched, but with nothing on it. About a month before the launch, it was broadcasting an almost continuous cycle of previews of what Channel 4 would be broadcasting, and P'Tang Yang Kipperbang was part of that, along with Countdown, Who Dares Wins, The Comic Strip Presents, Brookside. So there was quite a bit of content that had already been commissioned.

If you REALLY want to be taken back to October 1982, check this out...

Channel Four Test Card Music.

edit: even better. Just found this. 4.45pm Tuesday November 2, 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
        edit: even better. Just found this. 4.45pm Tuesday November 2, 1982.
        Doubly better. Just found one of those preview reels that was showing in October 1982. God, I love the internet.

Comment

Cheers Ridski ------- cos of PC system filters at work I can only view one of them but will look the rest at home later

Comment

Working...
          X