Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions that got you battered in the 70s

Hello,

Did this happen everywhere? As 'little lads' in the mid-70s, we'd sometimes be stopped by 'big lads', who'd menacingly ask questions, such as 'Are you a Mod or a Rocker?'. Now, it didn't matter if you had no idea what they were talking about (I can't see how these 'big' 9-year-olds did, either), as the wrong answer earned you a bashing.

Sometimes, it was 'Are you Catholic or ProDestant (yes, they pronounced it with a D)?' or 'United or City?'.

Sometimes it was as surreal as 'Egg or Bacon?', and all you could do was try and predict what they wanted you to say. Letting your mate go first was a good but cowardly tactic!

One that freaked me out was...

'If your mum and your dad were going to die, and you could only save one of them, who would you save?'

The big lads would make you pick, and you'd spend weeks terrified that you'd cursed whichever you'd picked to an early death. Such was the power of these questions.

....Jamo.

Re: Questions that got you battered in the 70s

You were in trouble if you didn't support Liverpool, as I didn't ( United ) & probably explains my hatred of L'pool ( team not people ) to this day.

Were any of ye Whizz kids or Chip Ites ? Maybe ye're a bit young, Whizzer'n'Chips now gone for 20years ?

Comment

as a 'proper lad' as mum would say, I'd have been Shiner from the Chip-ites!

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I was a Whizzkid myself but I think most ( who expresed an interest ) were Chipites.
        Sid's Snake on his way to raid a page somewhere in Doncaster now !

Comment

Where I grew up you were either an Arsenal fan or a Spurs fan. I really wasn't that interested in football back then, but I had an Arsenal kit bag and wristbands. Still got 'duffed up' by Arsenal fans, though, no matter how I answered the question.

If I manage to dig up a picture of the bag, I'll post it.
          Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidanagain View Post
            You were in trouble if you didn't support Liverpool, as I didn't ( United ) & probably explains my hatred of L'pool ( team not people ) to this day.

Were any of ye Whizz kids or Chip Ites ? Maybe ye're a bit young, Whizzer'n'Chips now gone for 20years ?
            I had exactly the same problem,how I wish I could meet all those people who gave me grief over my team and how useless they where,how the times have changed

Comment

hooper, why what team is that then?

I STILL get grief over mine (Bradford City) 30 yrs later!

(But I'll always love 'em nonetheless )
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

The one I remember at school was "Do you collect stamps?", which would almost always end with a hefty stamp on the foot.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                  hooper, why what team is that then?

(But I'll always love 'em nonetheless )
                  Sorry my team is Man utd ,my tormentors Liverpool fans but not any more

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Hardly surprising though eh rosso?

In the 70s it was Arsenal (my team, no comments on the **** season we've had again please ) fans against Liverpool fans.
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

In the 70s it was Arsenal (my team, no comments on the **** season we've had again please ) fans against Liverpool fans.[/QUOTE]

oi cheeky!

Bit like family..you're stuck with 'em! Still, got to see Wembley in 1996 with 'em..fab day, 32,000 City fans all clogging up the M1 south

Who'd want mid-table Premiership mediocrity, no chance of going up or down. Seeing the same old grounds EVERY single year, after year

Least I get to see lots of great old grounds, and it changes every year eg this year we're off to Burton on Trent! mmmm beer!!

And we can still stand on some lovely old terracing occasionally
                      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        The one I remember at school was "Do you collect stamps?", which would almost always end with a hefty stamp on the foot.
                        Oh, I remember that one. Grr...

Goes along with the time some kid told me he wanted to tell me a secret, put his hand to my ear as if to whisper, then stuck a lit match in it.

Oh, what jolly japes it was!
                        Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post

In the 70s it was Arsenal (my team, no comments on the **** season we've had again please ) fans against Liverpool fans.

oi cheeky!

Bit like family..you're stuck with 'em! Still, got to see Wembley in 1996 with 'em..fab day, 32,000 City fans all clogging up the M1 south

Who'd want mid-table Premiership mediocrity, no chance of going up or down. Seeing the same old grounds EVERY single year, after year

Least I get to see lots of great old grounds, and it changes every year eg this year we're off to Burton on Trent! mmmm beer!!

And we can still stand on some lovely old terracing occasionally[/QUOTE]
                          I really envy you, Dave because I can only watch my team on tv now due to living too far to travel and extortionate ticket prices anyway! :cry:

sigpic

Comment

Kaz why don't you watch the games on-line? Try myp2p.eu. They get most premiership games and are usually a decent stream. Unlike most people from Manchester I support City and have done since the mid 70's so when we start this massive trophy haul that's gonna happen I cannot be accused of jumping on the bandwagon.. Oh and you'll be pleased to know I hate Spurs (something to do with 1981 cup final and nasty habit of beating us in unfortunate circumstances like dodgy pen on saturday).
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Cheers Branny, I'll check it out.

Best of luck to Man City in the future.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X