Ever play "What Do You Want to be Killed By?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever play "What Do You Want to be Killed By?"

Mid-70s. The last generation of boys obsessed by the soldiers, guns, tanks and toys of World War 2 before everyone was into light-sabres and laser pistols.

We played this game. We all lined up, preferably at the top of a slight hill. One of us was 'on'. He shouted to each of us in turn, "What do you want to be killed by?" And we'd call back "Dagger!" or "Bren Gun!" or "Flame thrower" and so on. Then he'd shout go, and we'd run down the hill and he'd pretend to kill us with our choice of weapon. Rat-a-tat-tat, whoosh and all that. The noises had to be done!

We'd do a heroic pretend death (preferably getting muddy). After everyone's turn, the lad who was 'on' would pick a winner, the one who'd done the best death, and then it was their turn to be 'on'.

Course, as I said, we seemed to be the last year of lads who loved World War 2. Bigger lads taught us the game, but we had no-one to pass it on to. I suppose it could have been done with the sci-fi weapons of the cartoons and films that were hitting our world at the end of the 70s. But anyway, soon after that, kids sat inside on their Ataris instead.

We played it a lot, at home AND on school fields. Mind you, in today's times, perhaps it's best we don't hear eager little lads shouting, 'What do you want to be killed by?" Their parents would be dragged in by Social Services.

Fond memories for me, though. "Sten Gun!" Hehe

...Jamo

Re: Ever play "What Do You Want to be Killed By?"

Well described

We used to play that, except we called it best mans dead. It was played in exactly the same way. I can remember fondly throwing myself through the air, twisting and turning and clutching chest before landing in a heap on the ground and rolling over a couple of times like Cristiano Ronaldo
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

"Hand Grenade!" Hehe. "Luger!"

....Jamo

Comment

wow...I'm always fascinated how we all played sooo many of the same games at school!

We played this, but usually in the local swimming baths...much nicer (softer) landings, so your 'deaths' could be ever so more spectacular

ps grenade was the best, as it 'blew' you in the air lol
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
          I can remember fondly throwing myself through the air, twisting and turning and clutching chest before landing in a heap on the ground and rolling over a couple of times like Cristiano Ronaldo
          lol spot on there
          "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

We were in Manchester. Can I assume you guys were miles away, and that this was somehow a national game?

...Jamo

Comment

We played it in Stoke (Staffordshire)

We played it the same way you did Jamo at the top of a nice grassy bank.
              Heather

Comment

Played this up here in Dundee (...that's in Scotland, for those who wondered! ) too. We called it, 'Dead Man's Fall' -also played it on grassy slopes, and also in a field where we piled up the newly cut hay under trees for extra special stunt-effects. Falling from the tree into the hay was scary-fun. Played it once when I was about 11yrs old ('75ish), we used the bunkers on the local golf course to fall into, between getting chased off by the golfers!!! Stopped playing after I asked to be 'Grenaded' and did a dramatic sommersault into the sand bunker - my eyes got sand in them and I thought I was gonna be blinded, ...but for the benefit of the girls who played too, ...I kept up my courage and tried not to cry at my potential-sightlosing!! Hee! Hee! Good old days!!!
                sigpicAndyGranda

Comment

I wonder who started this then? Did it start AFTER World War 2? was it played earlier? I guess it can't have been played during the nineteenth century or could it (your choices...musket, cannonball, bayonet, horse-trample, sabre or disease!)?

...Jamo

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                    I wonder who started this then? Did it start AFTER World War 2? was it played earlier? I guess it can't have been played during the nineteenth century or could it (your choices...musket, cannonball, bayonet, horse-trample, sabre or disease!)?

...Jamo
                    ''or, ...Great fire or Black Death, or starvation, if you don't work my land!! The great bit about getting 'killed' was, ...getting to 'come alive' again. Pre-games consoles, ...virtual reality!! AndyGranda
                    sigpicAndyGranda

Comment

Here's a little video clip to remind us all

Best Man Dead by picture -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Ahh, that brought back memories H. That was really, real, the way he pulls the pin out with his teeth and then spits it out like a true warrior. I liked the girl covering up from any 'shrapnel' burst. The spear-ricipient was too un-dramatic for me. But, hey, ...I remember what it was like to be a kid, right, ...so they were all excellent really! Saving Private Ryan will never be the same now !!!
                        sigpicAndyGranda

Comment

Never even heard of this one - though I recall diving to the ground to avoid a 'grenade' or two - accompanied with a yell of 'bite the dust' after reading it in Crazy Keller in the 1981 Battle annual.
                          I mainly remember it because I got some strange looks - maybe they thought I was referencing Queen...

Comment

Working...
                          X