Does anyone remember.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember.....

A UK TV horror movie about either a librarian or maybe historian who found an old box of effects/records appertaining to a dead vicar who as I remember was possesed by his pugh which it transpired was made from a cursed oak tree.....As I seem to remember he murdered his wife.....cannot remember any of the actors but would loove to see it again.....very much in the style of 'the woman in black' and equally as good....maybe mid 80's.......

Any help gratefully received

ZyGuy

Re: Does anyone remember.....

This is "The Stalls of Barchester", based on the M.R. James short story, adapted and directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark for the 1970s series of one-off dramas, "A Ghost Story For Christmas". Clive Swift is the historian, Dr Black, who opens the trunk of documents and reads how Archdeacon Haynes, played by Robert Hardy, was affected by the carvings in the ends of his cathedral stall after his predecessor has an unfortunate "accident".

It's not available on DVD, unfortunately (the BBC really should release all of the Ghost Stories for Christmas), but it's often on BBC4 at Christmas time.

Comment

Hello and welcome Zyguy. You certainly know your stuff Lurker . Found it on YouTube YouTube - The Stalls of Barchester (1971) I've never seen it before, probably watch it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lurker In The Shadows View Post
        This is "The Stalls of Barchester", based on the M.R. James short story, adapted and directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark for the 1970s series of one-off dramas, "A Ghost Story For Christmas". Clive Swift is the historian, Dr Black, who opens the trunk of documents and reads how Archdeacon Haynes, played by Robert Hardy, was affected by the carvings in the ends of his cathedral stall after his predecessor has an unfortunate "accident".

It's not available on DVD, unfortunately (the BBC really should release all of the Ghost Stories for Christmas), but it's often on BBC4 at Christmas time.
        I feckin love MR James adaptations. I'm yet to read one of his tombs, but the TV adaptions have been brilliant,

Comment

Working...
        X