So good we wore it out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So good we wore it out...

A thread about about "Eye" a game apparently so naff that unused versions circulate from carboot to charity shop...
    Made me think about the reverse: board games that were so loved they wore out.
    (Playing with the James Bond frogmen in the bath till they broke doesn't count, nor tipping the "Battle of the Little Big Horn" figures into the general Wild West toy soldier reserve. Tragedies both, for the collector nowadays)

I've worn out two sets of "Ace of Aces"
    Ace of Aces - Handy Rotary Series | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
    One set of "Hare and Tortoise " (The German Hase und Igel version)
    "The Sherlock Holmes Card game": a nice game but, with the thin cards,the "villains" started to show wear and become obvious.

My original version of "Survive" is just about playable, though some of the tiles are fraying.

Did anyone else "play things to death"?
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Re: So good we wore it out...

regrettably I no longer seem to play board games. With my cousins/friends in the 70's - if we weren't playing outside - we were playing board games

(you were never allowed back in the house as kids...if weather was ok, you were ORDERED OUT to play )

We played the usual fare....although Monopoly had marathon runs (finish a game, immediately start again etc etc). Bermuda Triangle was well used.
    Escape from Colditz (our fav) featured highly! (went to a family funeral 2 weeks ago, and talk - as so often does - ended up with 'we must have a Colditz night soon')

Mouse Trap of course, Haunted House. With mum & dad played a lot of draughts, ludo, snakes & ladders ooh just remembered also Round House by Airfix https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...pster-wil.html

We got as much fun playing the 'cut-out' games from my Battle comics (I'm replacing them via ebay due to all the missing pages )
    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Re: So good we wore it out...

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
      Bermuda Triangle was well used.
      I got a set of that, recently. Very cheaply, but it was easy to make the necessary repairs. A real curiosity of a game.

ooh just remembered also Round House by Airfix https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...pster-wil.html
      New to me! I had to look that one up...

We got as much fun playing the 'cut-out' games from my Battle comics (I'm replacing them via ebay due to all the missing pages )
      Now that is interesting. A few things I'm sort of looking for, in that vague area. Early seventies, for about three years in my Christmas stocking, I got WW2 "Press-out and make " battle-scene books.
      Very festive (along with the traditional WW2 Christmas films?)
      Seriously non-PC these days, I suspect, and press-out and cut-out books always have a phenomenal casualty rate, for obvious reasons.

A year or two later, a hardback book full of playable war games.
      Avenger dive bombers on the cover? There was a Pacific air war game, a D-Day landing game, and others. Not bad at all.
      I found a similar format (companion?) book, on Knights, but the games weren't as intersting or good.
      They disappeared when I went up to university, I think.
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Working...
      X