1970's Kenner video stating 12 more Star Wars movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970's Kenner video stating 12 more Star Wars movies

Love this 1970's video. It is a promotional Kenner video for retailers to promote their Star Wars range. In it it states "Star Wars is forever! George Lucas is to create 12 Star Wars movies".
    Retro Finds - The best of the 70s and 80s 70's and 80's: 1978 - Kenner Says Star Wars Is Forever - George Lucas plans 12 more films

Re: 1970's Kenner video stating 12 more Star Wars movies

That *is* the first I'd heard of 13 films...

A trilogy of trilogies I'd long heard put around. With the first film, "Episode IV" beginning the middle three.

That's apart from its opening being pure homage to the early Flash Gordon films, and harking back to the serials of the Saturday morning cinema clubs.
    (largely killed off by the 70's, with TV actually being on, on Saturday mornings.)
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Yeah, I think Kenner was making stuff up at that point. There was a fold-out poster book that came out just before Empire that gave out three revelations... Darth Vader was disfigured in a battle between him and Obi Wan by falling into a volcano, Stormtroopers were clones, and there would be 9 films in total, in three trilogies. The first two, we have since discovered, were true. The third... Well, I doubt it will happen now, thank God.
      Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
        The third... Well, I doubt it will happen now, thank God.
        Amen.
        The original was something else, at the time. Even if having a classic Western plot, and being accurately reviewed as
        "Never in the field of human conflict
        Have so many fired so much
        at so few,
        and missed."

Most memorably, I saw it at a midnight performance at the Dominon Tottenham Court Road: students all.
        "only Imperial Storm Troopers are so precise." became a catch phrase for a while, for anyone being clumsy...
        "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
          Amen.
          The original was something else, at the time. Even if having a classic Western plot, and being accurately reviewed as
          "Never in the field of human conflict
          Have so many fired so much
          at so few,
          and missed."

Most memorably, I saw it at a midnight performance at the Dominon Tottenham Court Road: students all.
          "only Imperial Storm Troopers are so precise." became a catch phrase for a while, for anyone being clumsy...
          Ha! I saw it the first time at the same place, but mine was a 7pm showing. I remember they had a merchandise shop in there, and I got two books about the film and a Chewbacca badge. I was about 7 at the time. We waited in the queue for about 2 hours, and it stretched back all the way round the building. Utterly magical, that night.
          Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Working...
          X