Leif Garrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leif Garrett

What are people's memories of Leif? He is practically the same age as me and I recall very clearly seeing him on Top of the Pops in the seventies, singing, 'I Was Made For Dancing' - complete with spray-on trousers!

Leif started his career as an actor and was only 5 years old when he did his first TV. His films included 'Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice' and 'Peter Lundy and the Medicine Hat Sallion'. On TV, he appeared in episodes of 'Canon', 'Gunsmoke', 'The Odd Couple', 'Wonder Woman' and 'CHiPS'.

But it was probably as the pop singer and teen idol that he was best known.

In 1979, he crashed his car whilst drunk, leaving his passenger and best friend a paraplegic. His adult life has been quite troubled. Three years ago he was arrested for heroin possession.

He has had some success more recently singing in a 'grunge-rock' band, (forgive me if that's not the proper phrase).

I still remember that fresh faced, pretty youth - a great pop icon of the seventies.

Re: Leif Garrett

I have an ancient Norman Gunston's Christmas Show video with a hilarious Leif Garrett interview. It isn't on YouTube and I haven't got the hardware or the know-how to transfer it to dvd and upload it. But if I ever get it up there I'll put a link in here.

Comment

He hasn't changed a bit

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
        I have an ancient Norman Gunston's Christmas Show video with a hilarious Leif Garrett interview. It isn't on YouTube and I haven't got the hardware or the know-how to transfer it to dvd and upload it. But if I ever get it up there I'll put a link in here.
        That would be good. Love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          He hasn't changed a bit...
          lol. Although to be fair, I've seen more recent pics of him that don't look a bit like that second one. I seem to recall it was taken when he was arrested some years ago. I think it was a particularly bad day

Comment

Happier times. Leif at 17.

Sweet pic.

Comment

I thought he was gorgeous but now he reminds me of Kylie !
              One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Here you go Marine Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHV5qQiUCPk Terrible quality but the best I could do given that I don't know how to transfer video onto the computer. From The Norman Gunston Christmas Show 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                  Here you go Marine Boy...
                  Thanks so much for uploading! It was great to watch the young Leif. I'm not very familiar with Norman Gunston. Looks like he's an actor doing an interview in character, a bit like the Mrs Merton idea. Or is he really like that?!

Comment

You're welcome That show was aired way back in '79, pre-Denis Pennis, Mrs Merton or Ali G. He was the forerunner to them all. I heard the character wasn't too far removed from the person, the sweating and the nerves were for real and after a nervous breakdown he's now a spokesperson for mental health issues.

Poor Leif's in the news again

Comment

He was in a tv series I remember watching about 1976 in New Zealand, don't know if it was aired here.....

Comment

Bookmarked this thread some time ago and just clicked on it again...

I always thought that Leif Garrett was a bit like a Justin Bieber of the late 1970s - I have to admit that I saw a circa 2011 interview from Garrett on YouTube, a lot older of course, and it is depressing how he looks in the last few years compared to back in 1978-1979 when he appeared in the "I Was Made for Dancing" video. I was wondering whether Olivia Newton-John (or Sandy anyway) knew that he was wearing her tight black trousers? I suppose that one recent comparison to Garrett was the Lithuanian Eurovision star Donny Montell who took part in the contest in around 2015-2016. In a nutshell, why cannot we have popstars like him these days?

By the way, I thought that I would take the opportunity to say that I am fine and that I am just taking a break from the forum for a while so that one can focus on the changes that this horrible coronavirus thing will bring to life in general at the moment. I hope to "pop my head around the door" now and then and post a few more, and later on the year when things should get better, I might come back on a regular basis later on in the year and post a bit more often. But at the moment, I am putting my priorities in order and seeing into what is important to myself at this moment in time. I hope you all understand.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes we do take care George thanks for popping in

Comment

Glad your doing ok George, was getting a bit concerned mate.
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Glad your doing ok George, was getting a bit concerned mate.
                              Darren hasn't been around for about 2 weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X