Other use for margerine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other use for margerine

For those of you with rude thoughts - behave.

Bit of an old wives tale type thing this one. As a kid, if I had a bump or bruise, our next door neighbour used to smear it with margerine. She also did the same thing with her Grandson. I've asked my Wife about this as she is a Nurse and she's never heard of it. Can anybody explain the theory behind it (to prevent swelling or vaseline substitute to keep germs out is all i can think of) or did I just have a mad neighbour.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Re: Other use for margerine

There was also an old wives tale about smearing margarine on burns and scalds which apparently is completely useless if not dangerous.

No idea why it was suggested as a great cure all.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
      For those of you with rude thoughts - behave.

Bit of an old wives tale type thing this one. As a kid, if I had a bump or bruise, our next door neighbour used to smear it with margerine. She also did the same thing with her Grandson. I've asked my Wife about this as she is a Nurse and she's never heard of it. Can anybody explain the theory behind it (to prevent swelling or vaseline substitute to keep germs out is all i can think of) or did I just have a mad neighbour.
      You are so tempting fate with a title like that

My Nan used to put margerine on my bumps and bruises - but then she used to get the dog to lick my bleeding knees whenever I fell over because "dogs have antiseptic mouths." Not from what I've observed they don't!

Comment

Toothpaste on a burn is a gypsy remedy,it does work,takes the sting out and it was a paramedic told me that!Think its only on the little one you get off the oven,but it stops it blistering.Dunno about marg on bruises and bumps,but butter and sugar on your dummy stopped coughing!

tulip

Comment

The only time the margerine came out for another use was when someone got their head stuck between railings
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Yes is true....I walked into a lamp...watching a girl rolling a hoop with a stick ....and a woman took me in and put Butter on my bump, "to stop the swelling"

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
              There was also an old wives tale about smearing margarine on burns and scalds which apparently is completely useless if not dangerous.

No idea why it was suggested as a great cure all.
              Eeeh! Just to freak out, have my medic training kick in and simply be a complete bore please don't ever use Marge or any kind of oil on a burn or scald. You're effectively cooking your wound. The injury is already hot and warms the oil heating your skin and making it worse. Goes hand in hand with ridding the use of iodine for cuts or stuffing spoons in epileptics mouths to stop them choking.

That said, If people want to put butter on their bumps (providing the skin isn't broken of course) then were all fine and probably taste better too in case a passing dog wants to lick us better.

Comment

I've heard about spreading butter or margerine onto a cat's paws when you move to a new house, but according to the owner of a cattery they only thing this does is get greasy paw prints around your home.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I've heard about spreading butter or margerine onto a cat's paws when you move to a new house, but according to the owner of a cattery they only thing this does is get greasy paw prints around your home.
                  Heehee. How can you tell if an elephant has been in your fridge?

There's footprints in the butter. Rotfl

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

We use to think that too, the cat is meant to stay indoors a few days licking it off and getting use to its new home. Must be an old wives tale
                    Heather

Comment

When I say watching a girl with a hoop and stick .....I am NOT that old really-not in the 1930's , but it was in 70's...and that sort of thing wasn't really popular from from days of yore.
                      The lamp was one of those Concrete Lamps with all the stones pebbledashed on it...Don't see those nowadays either....(new thread?)

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                        We use to think that too, the cat is meant to stay indoors a few days licking it off and getting use to its new home. Must be an old wives tale
                        Don't forget, cats always land on their feet. Also, if you drop a slice of buttered bread, it always falls buttered-side down. This means that putting marge on a cat's paws will cause it to rotate, really fast, about a foot off the ground! Try it!
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                        X