Best ever year in pop music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ever year in pop music

What is your favorite ever year in pop music history folks ?

I loved 1979... aged 15 and just starting to notice those pretty things in skirts were almost as much fun as football!

The music in that year was very good . New wave Brit bands like Madness- The Jam- Elvis Costello and Boomtownrats were going strong and electric poser Gary Numan hit it big with Cars and Are Friends Electric as well as perenial favorites such as Status Quo- ELO and Queen delivering quality music to the top 40 singles chart that year too.

1980... equally cool. Just left school and got lucky with one of those pretty things in skirts for the first time ......meanwhile Debbie Harry and Blondie were regularly top of the pops and rocking the dancefloors with their awesome music throughout that particular year. Abba were also on a high with a string of number one hits if my memory serves me correctly. Barbra Steisand's Woman in love ( don't snigger too much )and Don McLeans version of Crying were among my favorite hits of a fantastic year for pop music - 1980.

If I had to pick my favorite year in pop it would be a tough call but it would just have to be between these two years - 1979 v 1980.

..................................... but 1979 just shades it for me .

What is your favorite year in pop .... and why ?

Re: Best ever year in pop music

In my adult years, when I hear a pop song that fills me with nostalgia, it is amazing that I almost always find the song comes from.........1974.

I had my thirteenth birthday that year and it was my first 'proper' grown-up(ish) party. A disco in the lounge!

Mud, The Sweet, The Osmonds, Sparks and the Bay City Rollers were all big that year. But I recall just as fondly, Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun, Johnny Bristol's Hang on in there Baby, Carl Douglas' Kung Fu Fighting, Paper Lace's Billy Don't be a Hero, The Hollies' The Air That I Breath, and at least a dozen more.

Comment

It's hard to pick a particular year but a few years ago I made a "birthyear" compilation of songs from 1984 for my Sister's 18th birthday.

There were so many songs I didn't want to leave out that it ended up filling up 2 CDRs.

I've done a few more since but have managed to restrict myself to a single CD.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Tough one this, mine would be one of the early 80's years such as 82 or later 80's 87 - 89 were all pretty decent imho apart from the SAW stuff
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

just can't choose ONE.....

any of 1979, 1980-4...though I'd lean towards 1981 perhaps...Specials, The Selecter, Queen, Bowie, Lennon, Stones, ONJ, Blondie, Police, Foreigner, Ultravox, Visage, Kim Wilde, ELO, Roxy Music, Hall & Oates, Adam & the Ants, Michael Jackson/Jackson Five, Depeche Mode, OMD, Japan, The Cure, Human League, U2, Madness, Duran Duran, Kraftwerk...even The Who were still going

and they are just the MAIN ones!
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

For me it would have to be 1978 - the year I first began buying singles.

Take a Chance On Me (ABBA), Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush), Mr Blue Sky (ELO), Ever Fallen In Love (Buzzcocks) Rat Trap (Boomtown Rats) and many more too numerous to mention. Great memories.

Comment

The most memorable for me would have to be 1973.

The year I was first allowed to go to discos and wear the sort of clothes I wanted to wear. A turning point in my life.

Great song memories :
              Blockbuster - Sweet
              Cum On Feel The Noize - Slade
              See My Baby Jive - Wizzard
              Can The Can - Suzi Quatro
              Rubber Bullets - 10cc
              I'm The Leader Of The Gang - Gary Glitter (sorry)
              Daydreamer - David Cassidy
              20th Century Boy - T Rex
              Life On Mars - David Bowie

Very happy days.
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9EksAo5hY
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Soul View Post
                  ??

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Soul View Post
                    What the *!*!*!*

...and those pages of comments...

Comment

1978/1983,then most of the 80's and the early to mid 90's had some great stuff.Not very impressed with recent stuff,think xfactorforgotlyricskareokecrapculture has ruined the music business for modern times.Or am I just old and not with the times?? My 14 yr old boy listens to the good old stuff that I used to so maybe Im right!!
                      Amen,Frame looking forward to a good summer.
                      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

My 17 year old son likes older stuff too and thinks most of today's music is rubbish. For instance at the moment he's listening to The Sex Pistols!
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                          My 17 year old son likes older stuff too and thinks most of today's music is rubbish. For instance at the moment he's listening to The Sex Pistols!
                          Wow, I'm trying to get my daughter to listen to 80's and early 90's music, but she wont have it.
                          She likes the recent stuff... which I detest.
                          sigpic

Comment

My Daughter is only 17 months old so i've some way to go before she starts listening to music. My dad tried to brainwash me with Elvis which didn't work. Fortunately, my taste is more diverse and varied so one day she could find me listening to Pink Floyd or Johnny Cash, the next it could be Girls Aloud or Sugababes.....or she could end up liking Lionel Richie like her Mum.
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My favourite year in music is 1983.

Bad boys, beat it, blind vision, blue monday, change, club tropicana, come back and stay, cruel summer, dear prudence, down under, double dutch, everything counts, gold, give it up, i'm still standing, i o u, is there something i should know, let's dance, long hot summer, love on your side, love of the common people, modern love, nobody's diary, our lips are sealed, rockit, say say say, speak like a child, synchronicity II, temptation, the safety dance, this charming man, thriller, 2000 miles, waterfront, who's that girl, wings of a dove, what is love?, white lines.

That's why.
                              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Working...
                              X