Here and Now 2009 - Newcastle Arena 21/5/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here and Now 2009 - Newcastle Arena 21/5/09

Just back from Here and Now gig tonight.

Started with Hazel O'Connor - really just there to make up the numbers. From what I remember she was a moody punky sort of singer, but she looked her age tonight with no stage presence. Couple of decent songs though.

She sang Will You and Eighth Day plus one other I don't know, quite a lively song .

Next up Natham from Brother Beyond - the girls went wild when he came on, was surprisingly good. Good if cheesy stage presence, was begging the crowd for bras at one point. He got one, must have been a big girl too

He sang Can you keep a secret, He Ain't No Competition and of course The Harder I try

Kid Creole and the Cocunuts - real performer, very enjoyable to watch. His coconuts came on dressed like air stewardesses but after the first song disrobed to reveal tiger skin skirts and cropped tops.

He sang I'm A Wondeful Thing Baby, Stool Pigeon and Annie I'm Not Your Daddy

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	264028

Claire Grogan was next - Total babe (looked cracking Dave ). As scatty and lively as ever, messed up the start of one song and stopped a couple of times to pull her tights up

Name:	DSC00070.JPG
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	264032

Sang See Those Eyes, I Could Be Happy, Dont Talk To Me About Love and of course Happy Birthday

After the interval came

Howard Jones - very good performance quite enjoyed it, despite thinking when he came out what a merchant banker.

Sang New Song, What Is Love, Like To Get To Know You Well, Pearl In The Shell, Things Can Only Get Better plus a couple of others.

Name:	DSC00072.JPG
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	264029

Kim Wilde - fantastic show and looked stunning. Best show of the night for me, very high tempo and got the crowd going well. Only complaint is she seemed to be drowned out by the music at times.

Sang Chequered Love, Cambodia, You Keep Me Hanging On, Another Step Closer (duet with her niece Scarlett), You Came, If I Cant Have You and of course Kids In America (the crowd really loved this one)

Name:	DSC00073.JPG
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	264030

Finally came the one the ladies came for Rick Astley. Put on a good show that the ladies really liked and joined in with while most blokesd seemed non plussed. Very good singer and another one after women's underwear.

Sang Together Forever, She Wants to Dance With Me, Take Me To Your Heart, Cry For Help, When I Fall in Love, Hold Me in Your Arms and finally Never Gonna Give You Up

Name:	DSC00075.JPG
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	264031

Decent concert with the highlight being Kim Wilde, would definitely go and see her again.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: Here and Now 2009 - Newcastle Arena 21/5/09

Oh wow, sounds and looks like a fantasic night in all, I really wish I'd been able to go. you're a lucky sod

Great review

Love the picture Of Rick!!!!!!
    Heather

Comment

thanks for the review Mike....will Claire Grogan NEVER stop being drop dead gorgeous?
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

What an awsome lineup!

My favourite of these would have to be Hazel O'Connor. I thought Eighth Day was amazing and loved the sax in Will You.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Glad to hear Kim Wilde still rocks out - would love to see her live actually.

No Tony Hadley singing True for six hours? (I know, oh I know, I know I know...)

Comment

I didn't know Kim Wilde was still singing, I had heard she had become a vet some years ago.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
              What an awsome lineup!

My favourite of these would have to be Hazel O'Connor. I thought Eighth Day was amazing and loved the sax in Will You.
              Will You is a great song, the sax solo must have lasted about 2 mins, gave H O Connor a chance to go off and have a cup of tea

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                I didn't know Kim Wilde was still singing, I had heard she had become a vet some years ago.
                I thik she just does these retro tours now. She runs a gardening company now.

Comment

Waiting for my turn when it gets here in about ten weeks

http://www.thefestival.org.uk/

Comment

Might have a tootle over the Pennines for that, seems a good line up.

Comment

THIS Friday evening 5th June there's an almost indentical line-up here after the day's horse racing meet has finished:

Midge Ure, Kim Wilde, Paul Young, Belinda Carlisle, Kid Creole & The Coconuts, Curiosity Killed The Cat

Fixtures - St Leger, Horse Racing Yorkshire, Doncaster Wedding - Doncaster Racecourse
                      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                        Waiting for my turn when it gets here in about ten weeks

Whitehaven International Festival

Never went, went to pub and got legless instead - oh well - heard them all first time round anyways

Comment

Working...
                        X