Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flavoured ice pyramid - jubilee/jublie/Jubbly

hi all,
    does anyone remember in the 1970s UK tuck shops used to sell these flavoured iced pyramids. it was just a block of flavoured ice in the shape of a pyramid. there were flavours like cherry and orange. they were wrapped in paper casing. you would tear off the paper at one point of the pyramid and push out the ice a little so you could suck it.
    i think they were called jubilee or jublies.
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: flavoured ice pyramid - jubilee/jublie

I remember them well. I think they were called 'Calypso' though. Probably the same thing just with a different name. I was never keen on them, it was just a flavoured ice cube that tasted of very, very diluted pop.
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

I remember jubbly and Calypso but IIRC Jubbly were much bigger and IMO far better

Heather

Comment

They were very watery when you got so far down. I preferred sun lolly, they were much more concentrated.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

mmm that last bit of orange juice that was left in the corner, you tipped it up & poured it into your mouth...it was soooooo sugary sweet
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

As well as Jubbly there was i think Joosa Jim's ,,,,

Comment

many thanks. i vaguely remember the term Calypso.

i remember i would suck all the flavour out of it and end up with just ice.
              brings back memories of the long hot summer of 1976 in Uk.
              Trips to the tuck shop during lunch beak, jumpers for goal posts etc etc.
              My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Isn't Calypso the name of those cold drinks that came in a corrugated plastic container with a foil lid? It didn't matter what flavour you had, since all you could taste was plastic.

Sun Lolly was an orange coloured container, right? I actually preferred them to melt a bit as the taste came through better.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                  Isn't Calypso the name of those cold drinks that came in a corrugated plastic container with a foil lid? It didn't matter what flavour you had, since all you could taste was plastic.

Sun Lolly was an orange coloured container, right? I actually preferred them to melt a bit as the taste came through better.

Calypso Jubbly and Sun Lolly

All basically the same thing
                  Attached Files
                  Heather

Comment

Same company.

Oh the ungodliness of them!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm eating an orange Jubbly right now. I started off with 10 of them in the freezer but I just can't stop eating them. It's a shame they're so much smaller than they used to be though. I wonder why they've done that.
                      My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more,

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                        Same company.

Oh the ungodliness of them!
                        Sometimes used to get these frozen too. Did anybody else drink the drink by biting through the bottom of the container instead of piercing the top? Was stood next to a girl the other day doing just that. Was amazed that these drinks still exist and the drinking from the bottom thing is still going on. The smell too, it was wafting over. Sickly sweet strawberry. How did I drink that stuff?
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: flavoured ice pyramid - jubilee/jublie/Jubbly

As well as Jubbly there was an orange one called Joosa Jim ...

Comment

we used to have something similar, it was a sorbet like ice lolly on a stick think it was called an everest when all the other top branded lyons maid or walls ice lollies were 12p or 15p the everest was only 5p

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
                              hi all,
                              does anyone remember in the 1970s UK tuck shops used to sell these flavoured iced pyramids. it was just a block of flavoured ice in the shape of a pyramid. there were flavours like cherry and orange. they were wrapped in paper casing. you would tear off the paper at one point of the pyramid and push out the ice a little so you could suck it.
                              i think they were called jubilee or jublies.
                              I remember them well. we knew them as Jubbly in Scotland. Sweet shop in the Lancashire village where I now live sell mini Jubblys. In same Tertra pack. The owner says they do the normal size still.

Comment

Working...
                              X