Can you solve the Fruit Gums secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you solve the Fruit Gums secret?

In July, August & September of 1982 Rowntree ran a competition to "solve the Fruit Gums secret" and win a time-share. You had to collect three posters that were given away in various publications (I got mine from the Eagle comic) and deduce an address from clues hidden in the pictures on all three.

Anyone remember this? and can anyone work out what the address is? With a bit of luck, scans of the posters should be below.

The competition requirements were for a full name (first name and surname), house number, street name, town, county and post code, all hidden in the pictures

Royal Mail's PAF won't really help! I think the post code doesn't exist any longer

Runners up won a Raleigh Grifter or Honey (!) and a Fruit Gums certificate. Anyone have one?

EDIT.. Click thumb nails to enlarge on the forum.
    Attached Files

Re: Can you solve the Fruit Gums secret?

Blimey Fearmint what a debut post. Plenty there for people to puzzle over.

Did you win?
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

No! I can't even work out any of the clues!

Except the one they give away on the info on the back of posters 2 & 3.

Comment

I'm going to get in with the first number (in picture 1) and say its the number 7 in the shape of the birds ??
        Heather

Comment

Nice one Hug, also must have something to do with flying/aircraft too

Comment

Good call there huggie! I've been staring at these scans for an hour now!

I can't help thinking there must be something to the letters obscured - or not obscured perhaps - by fingers on the Fruit Gums packets.

Comment

In the first poster, bottom right square, the flowers to the left of the old geezer look like a 9 ??
              You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

yesssss I thought it was a 9 too, but was a bit to unsure to say
                Heather

Comment

I don't know what address we're supposed to be looking for, but the only one I can see is the one on packet at the bottom of the pic!
                  You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

Were the posters in any particular order, to associate an early part of the address with the first?

You have the 4 ages of man, with a flight of seven birds in the shape of a seven, and nine flowers in the shape of a nine.
                    I can make you a postcode out of that poster, probably several:
                    7 B(alloon) B(iplane) 9 J(et) or C(oncorde) F (bottom right, there is one F for flower a different colour.

The second is less helpful(?), but if you look closely the trees in the picture have a road between them. That's an avenue...
                    Are those vine leaves?
                    The clock is at twenty past one?

The four seasons are in the third, with no other number clue that l've detected.

No, largely stuck.
                    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

The order of the posters is the order of the scans above, but I don't think it makes any difference.

I like the seven birds in the shape of a 7 and the nine flowers in the shape of a 9 - I didn't spot either of those until posted here. The photo of the road through the trees is certainly suggestive of "Orange Tree Avenue" or something similar.

Fruit Gums were being advertised as a sweet that "goes on and on", so that's the theme of the three posters, and therefore I don't think I'd attach too much significance to the chronological progression. Also, the competition rules stated that you must be under 15 to enter, so, how hard can it be??

I do know the clue given away on the back of the second poster, but I want to see if anyone can work it out It also says that the final poster contains an important clue but that might just be hyperbole.

I should point out that I have no idea what the address actually is. That's why I posted. I'd like to hear from someone who got it right at the time!

Ivy Vine as a name? Or Mike Lithe?
                      And in poster 3 the girl's fingers obscure letters on the packet leaving F, N, G and S, but there's no N in Fruit Gums.

Comment

great debut post

important clue on last poster you say?

The badge is odd..."I like them"...doesn't relate to anything! Anagram?

help! give us the extra clues pleeeeease!
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Here are scans of the reverse sides of the posters. Now you know as much as I do

Comment

Are they the australian version then?

Comment

Final poster

See that girl ; ( goes into rap-speak) 'She a Ho'

See that poster ; those are seasons

HoSeasons? ---Well they did do holidays in eighties

Comment

Working...
                              X