Things you misheard or misunderstood as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you misheard or misunderstood as a child

A word that came up on another thread triggered a memory I thought would make a fun topic. Here's my story:

In about 1974, my brother and I had been going to the same old fashioned gent's barbers to get our hair cut for about seven years. It was decided that, during the summer holidays, we would be taken instead to the newly opened branch of 'Richard's of London'. As I walked in the door and saw the women on one side of the shop and the guys on the other, I commented, quite loundly, "Oh, yes; this is one of those bisexual hairdressers, isn't it Mum?" She quickly hushed me, whispering forcefully, "Unisex, darling, unisex!!"

Re: Things you misheard or misunderstood as a child

For some strange reason when i was young probably around 7 or 8 I only thought women could be labeled "virgins". I insisted to the point I had my friends believing me. I don't know where I got it from. Makes me laugh now.
    I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

Only ones I can remember were on holiday in Rhyl when I was 5 years old. I spotted a streetsign for Wrexham Street but abbreviated to Wrexham St and asked my mum "What's Wrexham St". Same holiday, on the menu was tomato. "mum what's tom a toe" and the 3rd was in junior school. We were watching Wimbledon as a treat and when the royal box came on teacher asked "Does anybody know who they are?" I stuck my hand up and shouted "The Duke and Duke-ess of Kent".
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I used to think that a man had to urinate into a woman's belly button to get her pregnant.

I still have my suspicions even now.
        The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
        Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker View Post
          I used to think that a man had to urinate into a woman's belly button to get her pregnant.

I still have my suspicions even now.
          It's a bit late for me to be laughing this loud!

Have one from a few years back - my response was:
          'I haven't got a baby.'
          Till operator: 'no, how has your day been?'

Best I heard was Opie and Anthony discussing sex education. Convinced babies came out the back way, he asked his father if that's how he was born.

Comment

Oggy would agree with this reply as my hearing is somewhat diminshed I often mishear things... one story was talking with a collegue... a much older sprightly collegue when I thought she had said she was after a toy boy for her bedroom... she lives alone so the idea was maybe not too far fetched.... she actually said she wanted a TALL BOY!
            I unfortunately cannot print any of the others here as Oggy really does dispair of me sometimes..... prob due to the fact my mind has been warped by my job over the years
            sigpic
            Mrs Oggy
            ~~~*~~~*~~~
            Count your friends amongst the stars....
            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

A little girl of five years old, I was on a daytrip with my mum. On the crowded coach i was blissfully looking through the window when I yelled at the top of my voice - Look mummy ! A horse with FIVE legs !! Don't think I need elaborate
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Originally posted by joybee View Post
                A little girl of five years old, I was on a daytrip with my mum. On the crowded coach i was blissfully looking through the window when I yelled at the top of my voice - Look mummy ! A horse with FIVE legs !! Don't think I need elaborate
                LOL!!! That's brilliant joybee

Comment

When I was about 5 I was off school ill once and the doctor came to see me.

"Has she got diarrhea?" He asked my mum.

"No my ear's alright!" I piped up.
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I grew up in a good neighbourhood,some of them had turf delivered,when I asked my uncle why does that lorry have rolls of grass on the back he told me it was the posh neighbours sending their grass away to be cut!
                    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

For some reason I used to think Beano was the name of the character on the front page, rather than Dennis The Menace.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                      X