British movie posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British movie posters

For those who love British movie posters i have put up a few links on my blog
    Ecofugal: Renato Fratini

Ecofugal: Tom Chantrell

Ecofugal: Arnaldo Putzu

theres also an interesting lecture on UK poster history at
    Liverpool museums - National Museums Liverpool podcasts and mp3 audio downloads
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: British movie posters

Your site is excellent, sir. An absolute joy to look through.

Also, I am beguiled by your Catlady picture - charming and cheeky!

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
      Your site is excellent, sir. An absolute joy to look through.

Also, I am beguiled by your Catlady picture - charming and cheeky!
      thanks Derek,
      my scrapbook blog is really a sort of visual bookmark.
      i dont write much originally content but if i dont post it i will forget it.

thank you for your kinds words about my art
      My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
        thanks Derek,
        my scrapbook blog is really a sort of visual bookmark.
        i dont write much originally content but if i dont post it i will forget it.

thank you for your kinds words about my art
        Maybe she is listed on the cast list, but I have to ask - how did you find the lady that did the video billboard ad in Blade Runner? I was completely gobsmacked by that post.

I think this thread is a good place to make another point. I have noticed that there are a lot of DVDs of classic films being released with the original poster nowhere in site (they aren't the only offenders, but the James Bond series is a noticeable offender), and just to add insult to injury, they use some awful photo, or artwork that just isn't good enough.

A few years ago, back when you really needed a multi region player to get the best DVDs, I picked up Conan the Barbarian from the States with a rather nice drawn cover - then it comes to the UK for a lot less with a ruddy photo! Am glad for my US edition.

Comment

hi Derek
          that post about the blade runner billboard lady is a good one for trivia nights. It always stumps people! note sure where i got that useful nugget of information. i remember watching the doco that came on the 5 disc release of blade runner. not sure if it was on there. or it might of been in Empire magazine.

i agree with you about the Bond dvds. they have a black border and some crappy photoshopped montage. i think they are also presented in a box set like that. love to see them reissued with the original poster on the cover.

Btw, a cinema called the Astor over is showing some classic bonds as double bills.
          The Astor Theatre

i like the new bond paperbacks though.

well regarding US dvds. some aussie movies like Newsfront have better extras on the US dvd release than the aussie release. Its like they have to strip out all the extras due to legal issues.
          My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

I do wish there were more 'non-corporate' cinemas in the UK ie not Warners, Vue etc etc that would show 'older' films on the big screen

I'd love to see some of David Lean's masterpieces on the big screen...Dr Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and - my fav - Ryan's Daughter
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
              I do wish there were more 'non-corporate' cinemas in the UK ie not Warners, Vue etc etc that would show 'older' films on the big screen

I'd love to see some of David Lean's masterpieces on the big screen...Dr Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and - my fav - Ryan's Daughter
              all those films were shown at the Astor in 70mm.
              so i guess we are pretty lucky to have a cinema like that here.
              i remember in london in the 70s there were many small rep cinemas like the Everyman, Screen on the hill, the Electric, the Scala
              My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
                all those films were shown at the Astor in 70mm.
                so i guess we are pretty lucky to have a cinema like that here.
                i remember in london in the 70s there were many small rep cinemas like the Everyman, Screen on the hill, the Electric, the Scala

The Plaza in Stockport often shows an old film, mostly a classic British one.

My girlfriend often goes to one in Manchester that shows some offbeat films, often European avant garde ones. As she has degrees in French & German she can follow them easily.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Cineworld show classics - on a ruddy Tuesday. Was tempted to get a day off to see Spartacus, but couldn't sort.

DVD extras are a major league problem for companies to sort out - one of the first dvds of Superman hit a stumbling block because Salkind claimed he held the rights to parts. Blade Runner's Final Cut was held up for years because of various people having rights to it.

Comment

I would like to see more double bills especially of older films,Although I just want any cinema in the North west to show Jaws I even emailed my local Vue cinema but to no avail:cry:

Comment

Working...
                    X