Soccerama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccerama

Did anyone else have this as a kid? Think it came out around 1970, and was prominently endorsed by Alan Ball as "The Best Game I Ever Played" which made you wonder about the 1966 World Cup final. Bit like Monopoly except that you worked your way from Division 4 (as was) up to Division 1 and then into Europe. Used to buy and sell "Star Player" cards which could be used to add goals to your match score (determined by the roll of the dice) on certain occasions.
    Still crazy after all these years.

Re: Soccerama

I found this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ama1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	258900
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

That's the fella. Me and my mate played it for hours and hours one summer, then ruined it for ourselves by introducing our own cheat cards (better not tell you what we really called them), meaning it was more or less impossible to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Luxury-Yacht View Post
        Did anyone else have this as a kid?
        Yes, and it got quite a bit of use but as for "The Best Game I've Ever Played" (and I remember the squeaky voice in the adverts) Alan Bal can't have played many games.

Wembley, the FA cup game, got more outings with all the differently marked dice for different division's teams at home and away.

Penalty (a card game with a paper board with just the football on it) was also quite fun.
        "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Comment

I think I've still got a copy somewhere, I'll see if i can dig it out.

Comment

My brother had (& might still have) a football game which was played with 5 coloured dice. Each one had a different set of instructions, the red one was the starting one & the green was to decide if a goal was scored or not.

The others (black, blue & yellow) were for the in-between play.

I can't remember the name but he got it one Xmas, along with a similar cricket game call Howzat, with the insctuctions engraved on out what looks like slices of Allen key.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember those distinctive pastel colours (rather wish I didn't).
                The lines up between the divisions represented the FA Cup, and beyond it (under the box in the picture) the European Cup, but that was incredibly tough: I don't think I ever got to win that.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I can't remember the name but he got it one Xmas, along with a similar cricket game call Howzat, with the insctuctions engraved on out what looks like slices of Allen key.
                  That reminds me of a game I had called Pokkit Socca (or something similar) in which you rolled two of those little hexagonal jobbies to see (a) how many squares on the pitch you could move the ball, and (b) in which direction, ie forwards/backwards, sideways, or diagonally. The fatal flaw of the game was that the whole thing was designed to fit in a little plastic tube and after a while you could never get the vinyl pitch to lay flat, meaning that the tiny "ball" counter slid all over the shop.

Found this.
                  The Beautiful Games | Pokkit Socca

Comment

Wasn't there another game called Wembley along the same lines. Im sure I had a game that was called that. You worked your way through the leagues and Cup.

Comment

Wembley was pure FA Cup, with lots of coloured dice loaded for each team's division and home and away.
                      Stil lots of sets of that around on eBay
                      game wembley, Toys Games, Sports Memorabilia, Stamps items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

It lasted in production a lot longer than Soccerama, which came and went.

Comment

Cheers, maybe just maybe I may invest in it....

Comment

Working...
                        X