Beano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beano

Can anybody remember the 70's bubblegum pop group Beano? they had a minor hit " candy baby ". I have that single, but have had no luck finding out anymore about the band. Put Beano into any search engine and.... well you can guess what comes up
    WHO'S THE TART?

Re: Beano

yep,i remember them well. They were very big as a comedy showgroup thru out the 70s in northern working mens clubs.Lead singer/comedian Fredddie Phillips was just terrific,i can only describe him as being like Ken Dodd on acid,great one line jokes and daft impressions . When the band broke up in 1980 ish,Fred went on to front his own band called Freddies Beano,my guess is because of financial reasons,and later was part of a comedy threesome named gagattack,altho i never saw that particular act.. When the band split with Freddie,they became The Beano Band,altho not to any success. Word is that Freddie may have moved abroad but they were definately the best comedy showgroup i ever saw.

Comment

Yeah I remember Beano, I used to watch them in the Northern clubs, the band consisted of Freddy of course, Ken Smith, John Birch and Ray Johnson, great fun they were. When they were doing the rounds of the clubs they released a vynil LP in 1979 which I have just been listening to tonight, they still sound good. During the mid eighties I found a cassette for sale called "Candy Baby" in of all places Germanywhich I still listen to. Does anybody know what happend to Freddy and the other lads. If you put Freddy Philips in Google it talks about a musician that used to write soundtracks for TV shows such as Trumpton etc and that he passed away in 2003, is it the same Freddy ? Any other knowledge or info would be interesting to read about

Comment

Re Beano, Fred does indeed live in Tenerife, John lives in mold, ken & myself Ray live in Birkenhead, I still play the drums in a club and still playing the same Slingerland kit I bought from The Newcastle Drum Shop in 1973 at a cost of £300. What a great time we all had in the 70s. Regards to everyone who remembers the Band.

Comment

hey mate,cant thank you enough for the pleasure you gave us up here in the northeast club-land .....wish i could turn the clock back,pity it was just too early to video. Great memories of The Bucking Bronco Joke ,Quick impressisions........ and ofcourse Billy Porter ..TERRIFIC !!!!

Comment

Wow i never expected to find anything about this great band on a forum i saw them so many times in Wakefield and particularly at the Farmers in Kinsley.I nearly got a good hiding a couple of times shouting at the crowd to be quiet while Freddie sang his beautiful version of Working class Hero.My favourite song was Doctor Doctor which i thought the band did better than the TT.I remember talking to freddie once at the bar and was suprised at how shy and quiet he was,A true genius and deserved the fame (although short lived)that he got on new faces. Falklands !!!!!

Comment

can injust say what a fantastic time we all had in the roundhill club in castleford on a monday night in the 70s

Comment

i would love to see them live, anyone have any ideas where i can find out where they are playing?
                WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

johno......... as a matter of interest does Fred still perform in Tenerife ?

Comment

rhino= Re Fred, as far as I know Fred is not still performing, what a waste, he made me laugh every night for about 15 very happy years.=johno

Comment

yes,I agree mate,what a talent........thanks for the reply.........clubland misses the class acts like Beano was......

Comment

fun fact: in the 18th century, beano was the original name of the game "bingo", since they were using beans before in marking the numbers on the cards. then it became bingo, when one of the players mistakenly shouted "bingo" instead of "beano" when he/she won the game

Comment

[oh my god, memories from the 70's. I'm the sister inlaw of Robin (sharon's sister) i'm sure he would be intersted to see this :-)

Comment

Originally posted by johno3776 View Post
                            Re Beano, Fred does indeed live in Tenerife, John lives in mold, ken & myself Ray live in Birkenhead, I still play the drums in a club and still playing the same Slingerland kit I bought from The Newcastle Drum Shop in 1973 at a cost of £300. What a great time we all had in the 70s. Regards to everyone who remembers the Band.
                            Hello Ray, don't know if you'll remember me, but can you recall coming to Loftus West Road Social Club? What brilliant nights we had, it was always a full house when I booked Beano. Now the club struggles to have a group night. By the way my name is Brian, I was concert secretary.

Comment

As always,Youtube comes to the rescue

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7GgI2yJgk

Beano - Travelling Man

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUzkVA65BY

Little Cinderella

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=9IPQA61GoXc

Bye and Bye

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xVO-sxG-w

A youtube uploader called: Raythe hoople seems to be quite a fan of Beano.Here is his youtube page address:

http://il.youtube.com/user/roythehoople#p/u

Comment

Working...
                              X