When I grow Up I Want to be.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I grow Up I Want to be.....

Most of us may recall the shoe advert with the little girl saying 'My mummy says when I grow up I am going to be a proper little madam' This lead me to a thought train of what I wanted to be when I grew up..... the reality is far different from the childhood dream. All my childhood I wanted to dance and hopefully join the Royal Ballet. I guess learning disabilities nursing is about as far away from that dream as I could get.
    Our eldest has been banging on about being chef for the past four or five years but has suddenly changed that to Computer and Electronic Data Analysis... she wants to join the forensic services... too much CSI methinks!
    So what did you want to be when you grew up?
    sigpic
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Re: When I grow Up I Want to be.....

I used to keep ferrets when was a kid and always fancied being a vet cos I fixed ones leg (now I write boring documents for a living!)

This reminds me of being a kid again...

http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-s...jobs-popup.htm

Comment

I wanted to be a helicopter pilot / African wildlife worker. This was because of watching 'The Whirlybirds' and 'Daktari' in the summer holidays!

A little later, I watched a documentary where a man called Dick Mills showed how he made sound effects for 'Doctor Who' ...and that's what I wanted to do!

I actually became an operating theatre technician ...then an actor ...now an educational special needs worker.

Comment

I always wanted to be a fireman (or should that be firefighter?). Quite strange really as I spent a lot of time during my teenage years setting fire to things instead of putting fires out, lol.

Alas, it wasn't to be (I can't swim for a start) and after numerous jobs including the Civil Service I now teach I.T in Adult Education Centres.
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMystique View Post
          So what did you want to be when you grew up?
          I won't say it was a reflection on how I got on with the rest of society, but in my early years being a lighthouskeeper seemed a great idea.

(Just as they were all being automated)

I've spent 28 years in a dark room looking at people's eyeballs, (optometrist) but I am currently unemployed due to illness, and have a real need to find something else to do.
          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Deep sea welder.
            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Also a lorry driver like my dad.
              "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

When I was twelve I was in hospital for four months, including Great Ormond Street for a while ( great place). So I decided I wanted to be a nurse because it seemed like a great job.

I ended up being a civil servant.

sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I honestly can't remember.Maybe a vet or a shopkeeper,which I did do.Thats not as fun in real life.I know my mum always wanted to be a bus conductress.My dad reckoned I would be a lollypop lady,so that I doidn't need to work till I was a pensioner.

tulip

Comment

having had a passion for nature and all animals, I wanted to be a game keeper the thought of looking after animals seemed a dream job

then just before I left school, I got offered a gamekeepers job, thats when i discovered I'd have to shoot the stags to keep the numbers down
                    and I'd also have to deal with other so called vermin if thier numbers got out of hand too, foxes, badgers etc
                    plus the fact that it was 180 miles away from home and all my mate's

I became a welder
                    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Firstly wanted to be an Ambulance driver (at about age 5) like my Grandad. Then in primary school an airline pilot (bad eyesight and the fact that i hated flying when i actually flew put paid to that). After that could never decide until recently. Decided I'd like to become an RSPCA inspector until I watched a documentary following a class of new recruits. One of their tasks as a part of the training was to actually go to a slaughter house and fire a bolt into a cows head. My 18 month old was investigating a zebra spider last week and squashed its back end. The front end carried on running around for a bit until it died but I felt sorry for it. That's how bad I am. Now ending a creatures suffering I could cope with but not harming a healthy animal. Ended up working in the financial sector.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I always wanted to win the DMC championships and become a dj.

Comment

In the beginning I wanted to be Alexandra Bastedo (Sharon out of The Champions). Unfortunately I have very dark hair so that was never going to work. :cry:

I first wanted to be a teacher, then a librarian. I actually went into Retail Management then Financial administration before retraining and becoming a teacher.

Maybe I'll get to be Alexandra Bastedo eventually?
                          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I wanted to be a Stuntman. Apparently, when I was very young, I ran through a glass patio window and didn't get a scratch. One thing I do remember is falling through a thick glass coffee table after slipping on a polished floor (I was about 9 at the time), and I only needed one stitch (in my hand).

Now, I work as a freelance illustrator and other assorted odd jobs (not as a stuntman though!).
                            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I had a hairdressing salon all planned at 10. It was going to be called Pixie and Dixie (after my friend's two gerbils). We'd be joint managers and it would be painted purple. Funnily enough, that never happened.

Then I got quite into art and wanted to be a graphic designer, but also had a penchant for writing and going about the streets trying to record interviews with the neighbours so I wanted to be a journalist. I ended up being a scientist for my sins. I'm unemployed now and don't want to be a scientist any more. I'm still wondering what I want to be when I grow up!
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X