Viking icons of synth pop are back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking icons of synth pop are back

DYR caught up with A-ha’s lead singer Morten Harket and keyboard and guitarist Magne Furuholmen (‘Mags’) in a London recording studio. The band rose to fame with the launch of their first album ‘Hunting High And Low’ in 1985. The 2009 release, ‘Foot of the Mountain’, their ninth studio album, has all the hallmark driving synths, strong melody and melancholic lyrics, that fans will love.

Paul Waaktaar-Savoy, the third member of A-ha, has always been the band’s main songwriter. Ingenious lyrics have formed part of group’s songs with the themes of weather, love and dreams filling their writing. For example the 1985 single “Dream myself a life” and now one of today’s lyrics “Life is the dream you wake up to, dreams are the life from which you wake,” from the track “Sunny Mystery”.

Mags explained that both he and Morten now also write lyrics. “We are guests in the English language, and I’m really passionate about English.” Mags’ mum was an English teacher and he says that he has an appreciation of the precision and possibilities of the language and now only reads in English!

And the legendary synth hooks, well they keep the classic A-ha energy though-out the new 10-track album. Both Mags and Morten agree that with creativity “There’s no time limit to any of this at all.”

The band is playing the I-tunes festival in London on Friday 24th July and will return in the Autumn for three shows: Monday 2 Nov - National Indoor Arena – Birmingham, Tuesday 3 Nov - Manchester Evening News Arena – Manchester and Wednesday 4 Nov - O2 Arena – London

In the meantime check out the new album released 27th July 2009 and let us know what you think.Subscribe in a reader

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk
Working...
X