Day four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day four

Four days since I've had a cigarette after 30-odd years of smoking.
    Don't feel any better for it so why am I being so stubborn?

One thing I'm not bothered about is the 'weight gain' you supposedly get - I can't eat anything cos I know I can't have a smoke afterwards so everything now tastes dull and cardboardish!

Re: Day four

Give it a while, on of my Dad's friends gave up smoking a few years ago & surprised how much more he could taste & small after a few weeks.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Four days since I've had a cigarette after 30-odd years of smoking.
      Don't feel any better for it so why am I being so stubborn?

One thing I'm not bothered about is the 'weight gain' you supposedly get - I can't eat anything cos I know I can't have a smoke afterwards so everything now tastes dull and cardboardish!
      I want to quit smoking as well and I can empathise and relate to all you are saying. I tried to quit a few days ago but I was extremely irritable after only 3 hours and was having a bad day anyway so I cracked. Bad timing, chose the wrong day. But is there ever a right day?

I quit a few years ago after going to my local New Leaf course - I stayed smoke free for 9 months and then we had some major crisis at home and I started up again. During that 9 months I noticed no difference whatsoever in my tastebuds and I still had no money because I spent the ciggie money on other things instead - like more alcohol to compensate, lol.

I wish I could stop but I never feel comfortable when I'm not smoking. It's like losing a loved one.

Best of luck mate, hope you do it but it sounds like your heart isn't in it and that's a recipe for failure I'm afraid.
      Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Think you're right about my heart not being in it - am sitting doing mental maths to calculate how long since I last had a smoke so it may be cracking point shortly

Comment

Keep it up, it does get easier, I quit last year after about twelve years or so.

After a few failed attempts I decided to approach it all differently. I was having most trouble during the day at work and when certain situations would arise I would be tempted to go for a smoke, I simply substituted the going for a smoke with a different event. I think this is basically the Alan Carr method approach (not the comedian) which has worked for a lot of people I know.

I think though that it doesnt matter what you try, if you enjoy smoking and see not smoking as a punishment or deprivation then its unlikely you will succeed.

The other thing I have heard is that the key points for cravings etc happen at the 3s, eg 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months, dont know why but there is supposed to be some psychological reason for it
          To have an idea is ideal, to have an ideal is idiocy

Comment

stick with it Danny..you KNOW it makes sense

I've never smoked, so don't know how hard it is to pack in I guess.....I thought food tasted better when you came off the fags?

Dave
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Still fighting the battle two days later - not gonna give in to some poxy weed; Now if it was giving up whisky I'd have surrendered at day two!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                Still fighting the battle two days later - not gonna give in to some poxy weed; Now if it was giving up whisky I'd have surrendered at day two!
                Nice to hear it. Is it getting any easier?
                Last edited by Kiop; 06-08-2009, 17:23. Reason: spelling
                Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

A bit easier now- 'continual inward screaming' at the unbearable horror has been reduced to 'constant whimpering with variable outbreaks of snivelling'

(also this maddening urge to smash my boss's face in but that's nothing new)

Comment

Over a month now so maybe I've cracked it :- feel totally different, am bitter & twisted instead of happy-go-lucky so maybe thats my non nicotine personality coming out for first time since about 1972!

Chest and stomach pains that I've never had before, exhausted all the time and still can't eat - - so much healthier ha ha ha

Comment

Keep going Danny - It DOES get easier!
                      I gave up in 2006 - Nearly done 3 years now - in money terms thats approx £5500 I've saved, let alone the health benefits!

(PS I have no idea where that £5500 has gone?? )
                      I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Keep going Danny. I stopped smoking 4 years ago after smoking 20 a day for about 22 years. It's really hard and I was feeling like s**t for a month or so after I stopped. I was wheezing more when I stopped than when I smoked! I never had a smokers cough till I stopped but all that went after a month or 2.
                        Keep it up. You'll thank yourself for it!
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Lol, concidering tabbaco makes you woozy and lethargic,it's funny you feel tired!
                          Been a smoker for 16 years now, been trying to quit for a few. Have read Alan Carr and Nick Casey.
                          What we enjoy about smoking is nothing: meaning it's the absence of withdrawel, which is so subtle we adopt it as our own feeling, which it isn't.
                          Hence, our wrong beleif that nicotine relaxes, which, of course, it doesn't - being, actaully, a stimulant, and a "Noxious pharmacological experience".
                          What we like about smoking is feeling normal, ie, like a non-smoker feels all the time.

Comment

Surely a 'nonnie' doesn't feel stimulated every day? or have I interpreted that wrong?
                            Nonnies have never had that stimulation so if they feel lethargic it's just cos they 're tired wheres if I do it's cos I was a smoker -I will always be an ex-smoker and never a non-smoker

Was very tempted at weekend to invest in a pipe, some old gent wandered past me in a fragrant cloud and it was like "wow, should I ?"
                            Then I remembered a mate who took up the pipe in his early twenties to cut down on cigarette intake and ended up hooked solely on the pipe - his main problem after that was building up a relationship with the ladies, as he said to me "Its OK to light up a cig in bed once you spend your first night together but its a mood spoiler when the big clouds start instead, they take off prety sharpish"

Comment

That's a clever question, my friend. Nicotine is a drug and a poison, and the body builds a tolerance to it - the body assuming, as it does, that it has no choice - as the day goes on.
                              Hence:"Headrush" in the morning(after a 6-8hr period of sleep), but not after that.
                              Also why you have to smoke more and more as the day goes on until it's never enough.
                              You end up coughing your lungs up, puffin away, just trying to feel normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X