Jan Francis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan Francis

Belated birthday greetings to Jan Francis for 5th August.

Critically acclaimed as one of our best female TV character actors in the past 25 years of son, one of her signature works Just Good Friends (1983-86) is sadly no longer available at present on DVD, although I hear plans are afoot to re-release it - and this time include the previously omitted Series 3 - in 2010. However, there have been so many broken promises by the distributors in the past that it’s probably more a case of believing it when we see it!

One of Jan’s latest dramas entitled U Be Dead, which was filmed in 2008 and intended for showing on ITV1 at Easter (but wasn’t!) has turned up in New Zealand where it was aired on 5 July on local channel TV1. Lucky them!

Avid fans of Jan on DYR are very welcome to join my fansite Just...Jan Francis where we boast a huge photo gallery, files, links, and a busy message board, plus news of her latest activities. http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/justjanfrancis/

Re: Jan Francis

She was very good as the heroine in the 1979 Yorkshire Television version of M.R. James's "Casting the Runes". Also in the "Ripping Yarns" episode "Roger of the Raj".

Comment

Jan Francis

Fans and admirers of the lovely Jan Francis whose television appearances these days are sadly very few and far between will be delighted to know that she appears in a new five-part drama on ITV called Collision starting on 9 November. Jan is always particularly remembered of course for her performances in the 70s, 80s and 90s - Secret Army, Just Good Friends and Stay Lucky plus a host of other television work. Devotees of Jan would be very welcome to join my new group, The Jan Francis Forum at Jan Francis Forum | Google Groups.

Comment

She's not bad at all,actually.I just finished watching her in an episode of THRILLER

Comment

Indeed, her role as Gillie Randall in File It Under Fear - episode 8 of the 43 episodes of ITV's Thriller way back in 1973 - was one of Jan's very good early outings in the world of television. One of her other popular appearances the year before this - 1972 - was as Diana Barry in the children's programme, Anne of Green Gables, which was on BBC1. Sadly no recording of this remains as the original tapes were wiped - a practice the BBC often followed in those days in order to save money!

The new permament home for my Jan Francis fansite may be found at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/janfrancisforum All fans and admirers of this exceptionally talented English actress welcome!

Comment

Some good news for fans of Jan Francis - still, after more than 24 years, famous for being Penny Warrender in Just Good Friends (1983-86). She appears as Sue Hastings, the new "love interest" for Rodney Blackstock (Patrick Mower) on Emmerdale on ITV1 starting on Monday 15 March 2010 - and for a good while thereafter I hope. Jan's appearances are few and far between these days, so for devotees of this enduringly attractive English actress, this is something to look forward to at long last! Also on Monday 15 March at 8am Gold are showing an umpteenth replay of Just Good Friends. Suddenly we've gone from famine to feast!

Comment

Jan Francis

I know from past messages that I have posted in this forum that Jan Francis remains a firm favourite with many members here. Famous, of course, for her roles in Secret Army, Just Good Friends and Stay Lucky in the 70's and 80's, sadly her appearances these days are rather few and far between, but fans and followers of the lovely Jan should make a point of watching the tense, true-story drama on ITV1 tonight (5th Sept) at 9pm, U Be Dead, in which she has a major role playing Irene Pemberton, the mother of Debbie Pemberton, played by Tara Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald and David Morrissey takes the lead parts. This will, in all probability, be Jan's last tv appearance of any consequence for this year, so fans should be sure not to miss it!

Comment

Working...
              X